News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Pozaric

What logo is this
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:20 AM »
Im sorry im having a brain freeze and cant remember the logo.  I searched everywhere and cant find it.
Thank you

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dan Boerger

Re: What logo is this
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
NGLA
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
that was easy, thank you

J_ Crisham

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »
Hmmm,  Think the traditional lunch- lobster and a southsider or two. What a difference a week can make!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 05:54:09 PM »
I'm interested in the history of that logo, if there is any to speak of.  One of my teammates is an NGLA member and he wasn't quite sure what exactly the two golfers are (i.e. what their garb and hats are, if anything particular or symbolic).  It's a really cool logo.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Brad LeClair

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »
I recall reading in Bahto's book that it was from ceramic tiles that CBM saw while overseas that was icons of various things including hockey players that he became fond of.  I believe the actual logo is of hockey players and there are "skates" on the figures feet.  I will double check at home and clarify.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
I am sure that many will respond. Mr. Bahto, in his book, says that the insignia came from early Dutch tiles that CB MacDonald collected on the Britich Isles. The tiles were called Delft tiles because of the region they were made. What is depicted is a game played on ice with a post used as a goal, and sticks somewhat similiar to golf clubs.

All this is located on page 75 and 76 on  The Evangelist of Golf.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
He got the tiles from Laidlaw Purves, who created a pretty good course himself in Sandwich.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »
He got the tiles from Laidlaw Purves, who created a pretty good course himself in Sandwich.

No chit.  How did you know that?  You are scary!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »

No chit.  How did you know that?  You are scary!

I believe everything that George Bahto says.

Gene Greco

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
    I believe the game the Dutch played was known as Kolven.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 03:30:06 AM »
They are very similar to old tiles in the lounge at New Zealand GC.
Cave Nil Vino

jkinney

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 05:23:56 PM »
    I believe the game the Dutch played was known as Kolven.

What I've heard over the years at National is that golf came from this game on ice started by the Dutch. Dutch traders wintered in Scotland one year in the 1500's due to treacherous North Sea conditions. They made their game land based in the linksland, and the Scots took to it big time. Thus the Delft tiles (priceless today) gave CBM a natural logo for the first great American course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back