News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: BUDA IX 2011 - Suggestions for next years venue
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
Ben - I'd already thought of that. RWN is pretty private and primarily a members club. They take small groups who tend to have been visiting for years and undoubtedly many have a good sprinkling of members playing. The number of tee times is the issue not the format.

Norfolk is a good BUDA area accessible for London and the Midlands and easier for the true Northerners. As well as good for the London airports.

Another strong area is Bournemouth Ferndown, Parkstone, Broadstone, Isle of Purbeck and Remedy Oak where I played today. We stayed in Wimborne around six real ale pubs within two minutes of the hotel.

If Craig and Peter are taking the tiller Liphook and either Hankley or WS are great.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:48:57 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2010, 06:07:23 AM »
I haven't looked into it, but to me it seems the issue with Hunstanton (and this is a very friendly club - much more accomodating than Brancaster) is 36 holes on weekends.  I could be wrong, but I would think it very difficult to get AM and PM times Saturday and Sunday without some sort of member/inside connection.  In any case, its time for those with the ideas to put their proposals (including the green light to play the days proposed) on the back room table.  Assuming there is more than one organizer in the mix, its down to them to decide if issues such as weekend play and desire to play the venues in question are important enough to alter their thinking on the matter.  Whatever the case may be, even though Buda IX is a year away, believe me, time is not on our side.  Its time to swing the bat.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2010, 04:32:41 PM »
Mark Pearce - Please don't give up on Silloth and Southerness. I know that it is a long drive between courses, but that shouldn't be a problem if the drive takes place in the early evening. There are so many options for pre and post Buda golf both North and South of these courses.

Also... The West Country:  I just finished my small tour of the West Country and there could be no finer place to take the Buda IMHO. Two courses at Saunton, Royal North Devon, the GREAT St Enodoc, Trevose, and Perranporth are all worthy. Group accommodations can be arranged numerous locations and there are lots of wonderful villages with excellent restaurants. We should at least think about it!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
Of all the combinations mentioned Silloth & Southerness is the only one I've not done but every combo mentioned would provide a great trip.

As has been mentioned earlier a member on board is worth their weight in gold. Now to get the Captain of the R&A and the HCEG interested!!
Cave Nil Vino

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »
If you ever go back to Painswick, we do Cotswold golf packages for £149, which includes 3 rounds of golf and 2 nights stay. I have accomodation for 28. Painswick and Burnham and Berrow  are only an hour apart.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2010, 12:37:27 PM »
Adrian, just enquiring, have you recently bought Painswick?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2010, 05:45:59 PM »

I just noticed the recent post from Mike Whitaker and, Mike, I fully concur with your suggestion for SW England. I have not been there before and have no idea regarding logistics but St. Enodoc, Royal North Devon and a few others down there have been on my radar as well.

Sorry I could no make it this year but I am definitely in line to join you guys next year.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2010, 05:58:07 PM »
Saunton would be great, they have 36 very fine holes. But don't forget that St Enodoc also has a second course, the Holywell. It is a lot shorter and more of a fun track, but it might just fit the bill for a BUDA, as the Church course can be pretty tiring. The Holywell course also has a number of Braid holes.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 03:45:58 AM »
Adrian, just enquiring, have you recently bought Painswick?
No Tony,but we have some cottages in that area and do golf packages. I cant get people to go to Painswick though :O(.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 03:46:54 AM »
Saunton would be great, they have 36 very fine holes. But don't forget that St Enodoc also has a second course, the Holywell. It is a lot shorter and more of a fun track, but it might just fit the bill for a BUDA, as the Church course can be pretty tiring. The Holywell course also has a number of Braid holes.

Ulrich

Or just round the corner you could play Trevose instead... Stay in Padstow and have the quirk of Parranporth a short drive away... St Enedoc / Trevose / Parranporth is a good one... With Westward Ho and Saunton on the way down and back...

The only thing I'd say against the heathlands is that people generally can knock off a heathland track or two every time they fly in or out of Heathrow... For those visiting from afar, the remote links of Cornwall, Norfolk or Cumbria provide a different feeling and welcome I would have thought...

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2010, 04:18:02 AM »
While I am not sure Trevose is a compelling course for a Buda, St Enodoc surely fits the bill especially as visitors are taken on weekends (same for Trevose and Perranporth).  However, one aspect of Trevose which is very good is the accomdation for large groups (which I belive can be had without the golf).  I have stayed at Trevose and it is just about ideal for Buda.  They have wee lodges which have sitting areas and fridges, a restuarant/bar and game room.  Plus, the course isn't at all bad and could easily be played as a second game for those inclined to do 18, but over a more friendly walking course than either St Enodoc or Perranporth.  As Ally pointed out, Saunton (both courses are very good) and Westward Ho! are not far for those wanting to stretch out the trip.  Burnham is an easy hit off the M5.  The one potential downside of Trevose lodgings is they are isolated a good cab ride from the pubs of Padstow.  This could be good or bad depending on one's POV.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:21:50 AM by Sean Arble »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2010, 06:56:22 AM »
EVERYONE should see St Enodoc before they die! It's definitely one of the most exciting courses I have played. Can't wait to go back!!!

Wardo and I met a couple of members who would probably be willing to help us plan a Buda that would include St Enodoc. Should I give them a call?

By the way... at St Enodoc there is an elevated deck overlooking the 18th green with a view directly down the fairway. It would be a classic setting for a Buda finish!

Looking down the 18th from the tee you can see the deck on the back of the clubhouse:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:09:48 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Craig Disher

Re: BUDA IX 2011 - Suggestions for next years venue New
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »
There has been some progress on identifying venues for Buda IX. We (Mark Pearce, Peter Mallalieu and I) have two proposals on the table which require a fairly quick response. The clubs are putting together their diaries for 2011 and would like to have an indication from us within a week or so on reserving their courses for the Buda Cup. If you are interested in playing in the event next year, please post your preference.

1. Liphook GC & Hankley Common GC. September 28-30, 2011. Both courses near the Surrey/Hampshire border about an hour from Gatwick Airport
http://www.liphookgolfclub.com/
http://www.hankley.co.uk/

9/28 - 36 holes at Hankley Common with lunch, £108; foursomes in the AM, if time permits, 4ball in the PM, otherwise 4somes or greensomes
9/29 - 36 holes at Liphook GC, lunch and dinner £97, formats TBD
9/30 - 18 holes at Liphook GC followed by lunch £47, format TBD

A nearby hotel is available to accommodate all players: http://www.frenshampondhotel.co.uk/

2. Silloth Golf Club. 3 dates available, June 24-26, September 16-18, September 23-25.
http://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk/

As of now, a second course has not been identified so it may be that all 5 rounds will be played at Silloth - same as the event at Painswick. The cost has not been determined but given the greens fees posted on the website, it would be approximately the same as option #1.

The Golf Hotel in Silloth would be a likely base. http://www.golfhotelsilloth.co.uk/index.htm

We hope to respond to the clubs early next week so post your opinions soon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:35:28 PM by Craig Disher »

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »

I'd really like to attend Buda IX, but the dates at Liphook fall on a religious holiday.  Any of the dates at Silloth are OK, but if it has to be September, the earlier one would be better for hours of daylight and weather.  The late June date would be best for me because the weather would likely be better and there would be maximum daylight.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »
I'm going to the UK for links golf so would favor Silloth. But you have my proxy either way, as I really come to be part of the Buda!

June is out as I have a daughter getting married July 4th in Oregon.   ;D   September works.

Thanks for the work, guys.

Sean_A

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2010, 11:59:30 AM »
Craig etc, thanks for the fine effort in digging up some options.  

I like the sound of Liphook and Hankley, but the dates are awkward being during the week - no can do.  The June Silloth dates clash with another golf outing - I may in fact be at Silloth that weekend!  Therefore, my preferences in order:

Silloth Sept 16-18
Silloth Sept 23-25

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 12:09:07 PM by Sean Arble »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »
It may already have been one at previous Budda..but how about Yorkshire..
Moortown, Moor Allerton, Ganton etc..?

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »

Craig,

I would love to come over for Buda again and follow the advice of those of you who know the courses as to where we should go. September would be best for me.

Based on what I have read (in particular Mike Whitaker's comments) and seen in pics, St. Enodoc in particular and some of the other courses in that area look very interesting if that is still a possibility but I would follow the crowd.

Bob J

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
Let's face it, the courses are all great, so for many of us it will come down to the dates more than anything else.

It's going to take me the better part of a week anyway to come up for the BUDA and I'd likely play a few other courses before and after. So I'd prefer the June date, as there will be maximum daylight and I can get the most out of the trip. But I threaten to appear in September as well, if the stars align :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
Bob - Cornwall is for another day as Craig has proposed and
costed two excellent alternatives.

I love Hankley but respect our Amercian friends come here for the links. Earlier Sept
date for the light.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Pearce

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Just to make this clear.  There are two real options on the table.  Neither Craig nor I are aware of any concrete proposals (that is proposals where real enquiries have been made and the clubs concerned have confirmed their willingness to host) other than Liphook or Silloth, so unless anyone tells us otherwise TODAY then we are simply asking for preferences for the options Craig has outlined above.  If Silloth ends up being favourite I'll take soundings as to whether we play 3 days there or look at Seascale or Carlisle as second courses.

As to the likely price at Silloth, the weekly day rate is £52, the quoted weekend round price is £56 but I will negotiate a weekend day rate if that's the option we go for.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Craig Disher

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 01:42:27 PM »
Mark,
Just to clarify - Hankley Common and Liphook have made firm offers. Peter and I have spoken to representatives of the clubs who have confirmed the costs and are holding tee times for 6 foursomes on the days mentioned.  If we select those clubs as the venue, we'll confirm with them and follow their guidance on deposits, etc.

Sean_A

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 01:47:53 PM »
As a side note concerning dates, the Walker Cup is on 10-11 September at Royal Aberdeen.  This could make for a fine trip before Silloth the following weekend.

Ciao

Niall C

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Mark

Apologies that I never did get back to you. I would love to join the BUDA next year work etc permitting. Clearly you know my preference for where to play although I have to say that I am likely to be stymied for the September date as I'll likely be on a golf tour elsewhere.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2010, 02:29:22 PM »
Craig,et al:  I have mixed emotions about these choices... on the one hand, I like the Liphook/HC option for convienience, plus I'm anxious to see HC since Scott Warren voted it his favorite course in the UK! On the other hand, Silloth is attractive as a Buda location because the course is supposed to be amazing and most of us would not go there otherwise.

I am 50/50 on these choices, which is not what you want to hear, I know. Sooooooo, I am going to force myself to vote for Liphook/HC in September.

Here is my rationale:
1) They will be easy to reach which will encourage attendance.
2) Both are exceptional venues that most Americans would not visit without a push.
3) LOTS of options for pre and post Buda golf... especiallly in Kent!  ;D
4) Sillioth would be a difficult slog to reach for most participants... especially the Americans.

June is not a possibility for me. So I unequivocally vote for September... don't care what dates, just September.

Thanks to you, Peter, and Mark for pulling this together!!!

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back