News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Pinehurst v Bandon
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
I have not been to Pinehurst but are wondering if I were to visit - which courses should one include in their itinerary as "must plays" ? Also - if you were staying for say at least 3 days would you play any of them multiple times ?

Are all the courses at Bandon "must plays" ? I have been to Bandon and I would suggest all are "must plays" and worth including in an itinerary. The only qualifier being if I was staying for at least 3 days - I wouldn't include Bandon Dunes in my multiple plays.

Your thoughts ?

William_G

Re: Pinehurst v Bandon
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »
#2 and #8

Must play all at Bandon.

Thanks ;)
It's all about the golf!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »
William

I have read of Ross' work at # 2 and with C&C being involved recently as well but as a visitor why should I see # 8 ?

Your thoughts on multiple plays  ?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:53:01 PM »
My itinerary at Pinehurst was #2, #4, #8, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Tobacco Road.  It is so hard to say what is a must play for someone else as I don't know what they like.  But I'll suggest the following...

#2 and Pine Needles...must plays for anyone.

Tobacco Road...is a must play just to see what all this polarization is about and which side of the fence you are on.

#4 is a Fazio version of #2 in my opinion and is pretty solid.  But some don't like the visuals of the pot bunkers.

#8 is more like a regular (non-Pinehurst) golf course and is not a must play, but it is a very solid and fun course.

Mid-Pines is what I would call comfy/cozy golf.  Not overly difficult, but fun and pretty.  Certainly worth a play, but not a must play.

EDIT...oh yeah, a visit to the Tufts archives is a must.  Hitting some chips and putts on the sand green behind the Library/archives as well.  Drinks at the Pine Crest in and a stroll through the town are a must as well.  The entire place is magical.  Seriously! 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:57:28 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 08:58:16 PM »
Mac

So you wouldn't include any multiples if you were staying at Pinehurst - rather you would venture out to some other courses in the region ?

Am curious as I hope to visit the region one day and are keen to hear why I should (not) seek out various courses.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
Kevin...

Here is the issue as I see it.  You are only going to be there 3 days and there are so many good golf courses in the area.  You simply could play #2 6 times and you'd be okay, but you'd miss out on all the other courses.  Having said that, I think #2 and Pine Needles are spectacular.  So, by only playing #2 you will not see Pine Needles.  And you will never know if you are a Tobacco Road guy and I find Tobacco Road so unique that I think everyone needs to see it.  I ended up not liking it, but I am damn glad I got to see it.   

Bear in mind, I've only been there one time for 5 days.  So I haven't seen everything.  I am dying to see Southern Pines...maybe that is a must play, but right now I don't know.  However my 5 days was so incredible, I plan to go at least once a year from here on out, so I'll see more of it over time.

For more information, I've written reviews on my site and Chris Buie has a great information on his Sandhiills Insider site.  Please check it out.

Also bear this in mind, I really enjoy checking a lot of things out on my first visit.  So, I choose more courses over multiple plays on my first visit with the multiple plays coming on my next visit after I find out what I like.  Perhaps you are the same or different, but my recommendations are based on my personal biases.

Contact Chris Buie for more information.  He is a Pinehurst guru!

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
I think the #2, #4, #8, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Tobacco Road itinerary is just right.  If you can arrange access, Forest Creek (both courses), and CC of North Carolina are in that echelon, followed by #7.  I've seen Dormie (except the first few holes which were still under construction) but haven't played it.

Other courses in the area are probably not any better than the slightly better than average residential community golf courses you're likely to find in your hometown.  

#2 & Pine Needles in particular are worth repeat plays.  I think the more one plays #2, the more one appreciates the subtleties and unique qualities.

I'd echo the recommendations for the Pine Crest Inn, Tufts Archives, and overall Village of Pinehurst...

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »
Cheers Mac - one could extend to beyond 3 days but I would have thought at a minimum that's what one may need to allow. It seems from your replies that you would only suggest #2 is a "must play" and that I should venture elsewhere.

What's the costings on the Pinehurst courses ?

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:31:37 PM »
I think the #2, #4, #8, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Tobacco Road itinerary is just right.

Steve

What are the appealing qualities of #4 and #8 at Pinehurst ?

I'm from Australia so am keen to hear the local knowledge re: same

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:12 PM »
Cheers Mac - one could extend to beyond 3 days but I would have thought at a minimum that's what one may need to allow. It seems from your replies that you would only suggest #2 is a "must play" and that I should venture elsewhere.

What's the costings on the Pinehurst courses ?

#2 is $410

Pine Needles and Mid Pines were in the $200 range I believe, lots of good packages available though.

I really enjoyed my time in Pinehurst but am not in a big hurry to return, Bandon on the other hand I booked my return trip as I was checking out last year.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
The way to book your pinehurst trip is to stay 1 night at the Carolina, play #2 as many times as possible that afternoon/next day. Then book the rest of your trip through Tobacco Road... They can set up packages with everything else you want to play. Pine Needles, So. Pines, Mid-Pines, and Tobacco Road itself, and for the price of the one night at the Carolina.

Pinehurst #3 can be fun. Its very short, but a late afternoon skins game is perfect here.

Pinehurst #4 was not for me.

Pinehurst is much easier for me to get to, so I have been there 2x in the last year, but putting travel time and expense aside, Oregon wins.
3 must-plays to 1 must-play
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:58:44 PM by Jaeger Kovich »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:38 PM »
"What's the costings on the Pinehurst courses ?"

I believe a true student of golf course architecture should pay no attention to the price that must my paid to see the world's greatest golf courses.  At least that is what the sales rep at Pinehurst told me!!   :)

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:46 PM »
Mac - I'm 23. My first visit last fall I just finished the NY caddy season my first summer out of college. I was freshly unemployed! My second visit was after I got certified to run the heavy equipment used in golf course construction this spring. I still consider myself a student, I go to golf course building grad school 7:00-3:30 every monday-friday.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
Jaeger...

I hear you.  I was totally making a joke.  Pinehurst is expensive, expensive, expensive.  I apologize if my joke didn't come off correctly.  I am not known for my great humor, but I keep trying.   :-\

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 10:48:24 PM »
no worries! i thought it was funny!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »
"What's the costings on the Pinehurst courses ?"

I believe a true student of golf course architecture should pay no attention to the price that must my paid to see the world's greatest golf courses.  At least that is what the sales rep at Pinehurst told me!!   :)

Ryan: thanks for the costings on #2. Interesting to compare it at $410 v $220 at Bandon. Does anyone have an idea as to what the other courses at Pinehurst cost ?

I found that 5 courses have been built there over the past 50 years or so and from the responses thus far #8 seems to have some support ?

Course No. 1
Designed by Culver / Tucker (1898)
Course No. 2
Designed by Ross D (1907)
Course No. 3
Designed by Ross D (1910)
Course No. 4
Designed by Fazio T (2000)
Course No. 5
Designed by Maples E (1961)
Course No. 6
Designed by Fazio G / T (1979 / renovated 2005)
Course No. 7
Designed by Jones R (1986)
Course No. 8
Designed by Fazio T (1996)

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 03:28:35 AM »
Kevin

If you can financially swing it, play #2 twice.  I am not convinced there is another course at the resort which is as compelling as Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, Southern Pines (very under-rated - call Ran and get a game with him) and Mid-Pines.  All are a bit pricey for what they are so you may have to be judicious in your selection.  Sign up for the Tobacco Road email deals and you may get lucky with a good price.  If it were me I would avoid a multi-course package deal at the resort.  I would also look for a way to play The Dormie Club even at the cost of not seeing any of the other (other meaning not #2) courses except for Tobacco Road - I know you have seen a C&C course or two. 

Pinehurst itself is a Disney like fake town that will do the job for a few days.  The Crest Inn is a cool hotel, but all about golf and nearly the sole enclave of golfers.  If you are hanging around the area longer I would suggest staying in the attractive and tiny town of Southern Pines.   There is a good hotel in the centre with a good restaurant.  http://www.jeffersoninnsouthernpines.com/

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:38 AM »
I think the #2, #4, #8, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and Tobacco Road itinerary is just right.

Steve

What are the appealing qualities of #4 and #8 at Pinehurst ?

I'm from Australia so am keen to hear the local knowledge re: same

Of all, I would put #8 last on this list.  It is a solid and fairly interesting golf course, which is more than can be said of 75% of the Pinehurst area courses.  It's not a "classic" by any stretch.  Course #4 plays out of the main resort and I would consider the terrain more dramatic than #2, even though it sits directly adjacent.  A couple of years ago, I played #2 with a couple of guys from near Aberdeen, Scotland (one was a member at Cruden Bay), and they both liked #4 better than #2 (but they liked the Americanized novelty of it, compared with what they're used to).

I like both Pine Needles & Mid Pines - a lot.  Since I've played them all, I would play those two over and over many times before returning to #4 or #8.  But, on a one-time visit, I'd stick with the playlist I suggested to get a sampling of each.

Hope this answers your question somewhat...

PCCraig

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Kevin:

If you've already been to Bandon, why not try something new and do a trip to Pinehurst? An above poster said he was so smitten with Bandon that he booked a return trip right when he got home, if you don't have the same feeling then why go back and force it.

I would agree with previous posters that, in my opinion, #2 is the only course at the resort worth traveling for to play. Not that the other seven courses there are bad, just that there are so many other good options within a short distance. Pine Needles, Mid-Pines, Tobacco Road, Southern Pines, and now maybe Dormie Club (?) are all very good and fun places to play. You'll have no trouble filling a weekend up with golf and it's easier to get to than Bandon.

Worst case you go to Pinehurst, try something new, but then figure out that you enjoyed Bandon more.
H.P.S.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »
Skip Pinehurst and make two trips to Bandon...

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:10:08 AM »
Kevin

If you can financially swing it, play #2 twice.  I am not convinced there is another course at the resort which is as compelling as Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, Southern Pines (very under-rated - call Ran and get a game with him) and Mid-Pines.  All are a bit pricey for what they are so you may have to be judicious in your selection.  Sign up for the Tobacco Road email deals and you may get lucky with a good price.  If it were me I would avoid a multi-course package deal at the resort.  I would also look for a way to play The Dormie Club even at the cost of not seeing any of the other (other meaning not #2) courses except for Tobacco Road - I know you have seen a C&C course or two. 

Pinehurst itself is a Disney like fake town that will do the job for a few days.  The Crest Inn is a cool hotel, but all about golf and nearly the sole enclave of golfers.  If you are hanging around the area longer I would suggest staying in the attractive and tiny town of Southern Pines.   There is a good hotel in the centre with a good restaurant.  http://www.jeffersoninnsouthernpines.com/

Ciao

I take exception to the comparison of Pinehurst as "Disney/fake".  It was planned in the late 1800's by Fredrick Law Olmstead as a resort village, and has served guests and residents in that capacity for nearly 120 years.  Many of the homes and commercial buildings were built in the mid-to-late 1890's, and have a great charm & character - and authenticity.  

Downtown Southern Pines is great - an old, southern, train-stop main street downtown.  It's a place worth spending some time.  Outside of the Village of Pinehurst & downtown Southern Pines, there's not much to speak of other than lower-end "burger belt" strip shopping & development.  Downtown Southern Pines is very close to Pine Needles/Mid Pines, too.

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 09:19:13 AM »
Kevin

Ciao

I take exception to the comparison of Pinehurst as "Disney/fake".  It was planned in the late 1800's by Fredrick Law Olmstead as a resort village, and has served guests and residents in that capacity for nearly 120 years.  Many of the homes and commercial buildings were built in the mid-to-late 1890's, and have a great charm & character - and authenticity.  

Downtown Southern Pines is great - an old, southern, train-stop main street downtown.  It's a place worth spending some time.  Outside of the Village of Pinehurst & downtown Southern Pines, there's not much to speak of other than lower-end "burger belt" strip shopping & development.  Downtown Southern Pines is very close to Pine Needles/Mid Pines, too.

Sorry Steve, it isn't my intention to upset anyone with my opinion of Pinehurst. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Kline

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »
Kevin - the above suggestions are all pretty much what I would say, but I'll give you my two cents anyway.

My dad has been a member at Pinehurst since I was 15 so I've been going there for 20 years and have played every course many times except Forest Creek and Country Club of North Carolina (both of which are private but you could probably get on being from Australia).

While I love Pinehurst, there really is no comparison to Bandon for me. All else being equal except the golf courses, I would take a trip to Bandon every time over Pinehurst. Bandon has four outstanding courses that are truly firm and fast and in good condition. The Pinehurst Resort courses are rarely in premium condition while Pine Needles is usually in good shape.

All that said Pinehurst #2 (will be closed shortly and have limited play through next summer) and Pine Needles are must plays that I would play multiple times. Tobacco Road is virtually a must play because it is so controversial (I like it). Depending on that first play it may be a repeat play for you. I would also play Mid Pines and Southern Pines because they are mroe traditional Pinehurst courses with some unique features. Many of the other courses (Pinehurst #4 and #8, Talamore, and Mid-South) are fun to play but have nothing architecturally that stands out.

Kevin - if you are planning on coming please let me know. I get down there 3 to 4 times per year. Also, if you play with my dad and me your rate on #2 will be cheaper than going through the hotel.

Mac - if you plan on going again let me know. Maybe we'll be there are the same time.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »
Kevin

Ciao

Sorry Steve, it isn't my intention to upset anyone with my opinion of Pinehurst. 

Ciao

Not upset, at all.  No worries.  Just pointing out the difference between "contrived faux-nostalgic" (Disney), and "historic/authentic" (Pinehurst).  I can't disagree that Pinehurst has evolved in a way that doesn't pay due homage to its roots...

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 09:46:25 AM »
Kevin,

I took advantage of the Pinehurst Resort "winter" deal for No.2 a couple of years ago.  It was $250 for a round on No. 2 and included one night's lodging and breakfast.  Played in late January and the weather was sunny and in the mid 50's.  Conditions were ideal.  Also played Pine Needles for just under $100.  After some due diligence, I never really considered playing any of the other resort courses.  I am sure they are okay, however, compared to other options in the area as well as the costs, I easily decided to go to Pine Needles and Southern Pines.

Southern Pines, I would guess, has to be the best value in the area.  I found the course very charming and will try to include it on any future trip to I take to the area.

Even though I have yet to go to Bandon, the cool thing about it is that all the courses are there are world class and must plays.  It seems to me every other American resort has a crown jewel and an overpriced supporting cast. 

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back