News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Freedman

Water, Trees, and Double Jeapordy on a Dogleg Right
« on: September 17, 2010, 06:02:42 PM »
Help, please.

The first hole at my club is a 395 yard, dogleg right, around a lake. A large tree guards the corner. A good drive can carry that water, but many players inadvertently slice into it, anyway. It is also, incidently, our play-off hole. In such situations, a high handicapper might have an advantage, and a stronger player might hope to negate that advantage by taking a risk.

Two years ago, the superintendent planted pine trees on the opposite bank, and they are growing rapidly. I argue that this is double jeapordy,
but old-guard members insist on protecting their trees. "The trees are the hazard, not the water," said one.

Water is not a hazard?

"It's risk-reward," said another.
"It's risk, and get screwed," I countered. "We're sking them to clear two hazards, not one."
"Those trees won't be a factor for twenty years," said our Green Committee chairman.
"And they will curse us in twenty years," I noted.
"We used to have elms there," he continued. "It's tradition."

"Show me one classic hole on a great course with such a design," I challenged him. Is there one?  

Anybody got any good, architectural arguments with which to counter these guys?

I need quotes or architectural citations, or examples, please.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:05:03 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

Neal_Meagher

Re: Water, Trees, and Double Jeapordy on a Dogleg Right
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »
Wayne,

As you can well imagine, I am quite curious to see what examples the well-traveled folks on here can cite as well.  We share the same philosophy on this one, brother........

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:22:48 PM by Neal_Meagher »
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 06:29:10 PM »
And Neil, I know you know all about it. I like your proposed new design for the hole.

Now we need help from the wonks.

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 06:41:35 PM »

P L E A S E P O S T A P H O T O O F T H E H O L E
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »

P L E A S E P O S T A P H O T O O F T H E H O L E

"... and I liked the guy ..."

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:53:39 PM »
Has the pond always been there?
What year was the course designed?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:32:45 PM »
Course built in the 1920's, lake built in 1980.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »
Regarding that photo, there doesn't seem to be any point taking on the lake with the green bunkered on the right. The only decision from the tee seems to be whether to play short or fly the bunker on the outside of the dogleg.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
Course built in the 1920's, lake built in 1980.

That's what I thought. Betcha there was a bunker(s) where the trees were. Curious as to what was where the pond is.
If the bunkers in front of the green are original, it is obvious the intent was to hit as close to the outside bunker as possible to set up your approach.

I don't think there is precedent for trees around a pond on that era course but there is for having the pond as a strategic feature. I have only seen trees around a pond in that manner on some courses built in the last five decades.

I think you will find a few Ross holes that this hole would roughly emulate. I think when he did it, it was at or near the end of the round and not the starting hole.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:08:42 PM by RSLivingston_III »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mike McGuire

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »
Take out all the trees and bring the fairway to the pond.

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 01:12:25 AM »
More info. This hole was an add-on to a design from 1924. The original played straight-away, up a hill. Then, in the 60's or early 70's, they made this redesign, which is and remains out of context with the rest of this parkland course. That said, I think it can be a very good hole.

And, you are correct regarding the bunkers. The more you cut off, the more difficult your approach. And, the terrain undulates quite a lot within 80 yards.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back