News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Urbina

Re: Is Pasatiempo Overbunkered?
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
Mark,

Others have tried the modification of Pasatiempo and they didn't fare very well. I don't think the bunkers are overwhelming, just curious how many bunkers would you would have done in a parkland setting, 1/2 as much?

Mike,

Mackenzie knew it was going to be a housing development from the start.  Marion Hollins and Mackenzie were debating back and forth between the land planner ( Olmstead) about the routing and lot planning.  In fact Robert Hunter tried to smooth things out between Mackenzie and Olmstead.  Each thought the other was a little goofy.  Bob Beck shared with me letters between the both of them with Marion acting as the final say.  She was the developer of the land and was using some of  her funds from oil royalties to finance much of the project.  

William,
 What do you mean by" Crenshaw and Doak following up on their courses as years go by to see if changes are needed"?

Mark_Fine

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
Jim,
As you well know, there is no set number of bunkers that one should set out to incorporate but sometimes less is more and simpler is better.  Once again, this a very subjective thing. 

William,
The thing about golf courses is that whether we like it or not, they are always changing for all kinds of reasons.  Furthermore, one of the reasons many classic golf courses get screwed up over time is because when they are changed, little if any thought is given to what was once there, why it was there, what was the design intent, how has it changed, and was that change for the better or for the worse.  I've told the story here several times about the architect who did a master plan many years ago for my home club and finished the plan before ever asking or considering who the original designer was  :(  This happens more often than you think.   

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »
I think the bunkering is fine. If anything some serious deforestation needs to be done so that the course as designed can be seen again.
Relatively speaking there are so few of his courses, I don't see a purpose in discussing renovating a sacred place.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2010, 04:48:33 AM »
I recall looking at old pix of Pasa without the trees and thinking the course could have done with more fairway bunkering (take some away from the greens as well) to tie in a look.  I think it looked kinda wierd in the old days with all the concentration of bunkers near greens.   To my eye, on such a lovely site and what look to be outstanding green sites, I would prefer fewer bunkers, but more importantly the trees taken out.  Dr Mac was an enigma!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back