News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Chicago Public Golf Question
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »
This question,directed to Joe Jemsek, appeared at Geoff Shackelford's site in response to the Rees renovation of Gog Hill #4:

If I traveled to Chicago soon, why should I pay $155 to play #4 even from the white tees instead of Ravisloe with a weekday senior rate of $55 for example?

What say you Chicago guys? No peeking at Jemsek's response.  ;D
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Chicago Public Golf Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »
What about from the white tees at Dubs? The question is from a senior.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:34:38 AM »
What about #2 Ravines versus Ravisloe?

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:37:02 AM »
#2 is a fun course and often overlooked in favor of it's big brother next door, but I'd still take the RAV for a similar price...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:48:38 AM »
Analysis provided is correct beyond question.  Cog has more interesting terrain as Rav is almost dead flat.  However it ia a charming old school course.  Just not as hard.  Finally, as an aside, the question, if directed toward the ownership, was directed to Frank Jemsek, Joe's son.  Joe has been gone for some time.  Frank is a terrific person in his own right and a worthy successor to his legendary father.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:53:58 AM »
i think Cog #2 is overrated by some...its not that good..first two holes are quite poor for ex
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
Then someone is using Joe Jemsek's name at Geoff's site:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2010/9/16/rees-jones-comes-to-his-own-defense.html#comments

Is there a Joe,Jr. ?

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
To answer the first question of the thread...no, a Senior golfer has no reason to go play #4 for $100 more than Ravisloe.

For a better player, Cog Hill #4 is fun to play every once in a while because 1) it does have some very good holes, 2) it's tough and big and is a challenge, and 3) the pros play there and it's fun to play the same course that they do, so when you go watch the tournament you can compare (or not) :)

Even still if I decide to go play golf during the Bears game on a fall Sunday, 8 or 9 times out of 10 I would drive out to Rav from the heart of the city vs. making the effort and paying the extra $$$ to play #4.
H.P.S.

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
Could be Frank's son.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
Shel is correct. Joe is Frank's son, and actually played a role in designing (and perhaps running?) the course the family built (but has since sold) in Georgia. Joe is a fairly regular contributor on Shackelford's site. . .

As for the question, if you became an adult as a golfer at Dubs, it will always be first and foremost in your heart of hearts. Also, at the August 7 Weekly Challenge event at Ravisloe the conditions of the course, and particularly the greens, was pathetic. Worse than anything the big kids faced out at Cog. Also, their attitude toward the paying customers leaves a little to be desired (ask Bill Seitz to tell you about his having hit a large bucket and then walking over to use the chipping green, only to be kicked out because he wasn't using their range balls!). It's not for me to tell other people how to spend their money, but Frank's certainly received plenty of mine over the years.

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
Shel is correct. Joe is Frank's son, and actually played a role in designing (and perhaps running?) the course the family built (but has since sold) in Georgia. Joe is a fairly regular contributor on Shackelford's site. . .

As for the question, if you became an adult as a golfer at Dubs, it will always be first and foremost in your heart of hearts. Also, at the August 7 Weekly Challenge event at Ravisloe the conditions of the course, and particularly the greens, was pathetic. Worse than anything the big kids faced out at Cog. Also, their attitude toward the paying customers leaves a little to be desired (ask Bill Seitz to tell you about his having hit a large bucket and then walking over to use the chipping green, only to be kicked out because he wasn't using their range balls!). It's not for me to tell other people how to spend their money, but Frank's certainly received plenty of mine over the years.

that is not good news about Ravisloe Mark....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 04:34:29 PM »
I wouldn't get too upset with the Rav just yet:

1.  Conditions have been pretty sketchy at a lot of Chicago area courses this summer with some of the most challenging weather in memory.

2.  The course was bought by a wealthy local Dr. who wanted to keep it as a green space and is essentially subsidizing the place.  He hired some golf management firm (?) to run the place and not lose him more than $100k/year.  Last year conditions were very good, this year not so much.  Not sure how many rounds they saw this year or whether he hit his "loss" target...

3.  Given #2 I don't mind paying for a large bucket to have a few extras for the chipping green.  I've always found the help friendly personally...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

William_G

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 05:11:10 PM »
Sorry to butt in, but....I'm in Chicago next May13-17 for a meeting and...which courses are not to be missed public or private within 100 miles? Thank you!
It's all about the golf!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:47 PM »
Go the extra distance to Green Lake or Kohler Wisc. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
The answer to every question on this thread is Shepherd's Crook.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 08:34:35 AM »
Never having played golf in Chicago or anywhere even remotely close to it, I can't help but thinking that the answer may lay in the parllell situation of Bethpage and the Black.

Why does "Joe Public" sleep in his car to play it when there are clearly 4 other options available? Why do people come from everywhere to play it when there are other courses on the Island they can get onto?

Every golfer wores his or her salt wants to play the "big boys" course the tough one. They want to be challenged and see how they stack up against it. Why else would there be another thread asking if a 5,700 yard course could ever be TOO severe?

For a number of years Cog's Hill has had a "mystique" nationwide as a "big boys" course and I believe that all the complaining done by the pro's will actually add to that and bring more amateur play, if only to see what they...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back