News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sweeney

Re: How important is intimacy in golf course architecture?
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2010, 02:15:11 PM »
Mid Pines is probably the most intimate course I can think of. There are several areas where multiple holes come together and one group canl cross paths with another two or three times in a round. Yet it never feels cramped.That in addition to the attributes of design mentioned by Mr. Doak and others.

I also felt it strongly at the Seaside course at Sea Island. Playing along on a hole, watching some fisherman in a small boat on a boardering inlet, then another group of golfers playing a hole on the other side of the inlet, perhaps sixty yards away. Just a comfortable, laid back feeling to the entire setting.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Bart Bradley

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »
The responses on this thread are fascinating. Most of the responses define intimacy as courses where you can see and interact with other golfers. I think of intimate as secluded and seperate.

Intimate:  dinner for 2 in a secluded booth in the corner of a bistro

not intimate:  lunch at the mall food court

Intimate:  a carriage ride under a blanket on a cool autumn night

not intimate:  a bus ride in the bronx

What am I missing?  How can the parts of a golf course with expansive views of other holes and other groups be intimate?

Bart

Mac Plumart

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »
How can the parts of a golf course with expansive views of other holes and other groups be intimate?

Bart, I wondered that at first...but I think I get it now.  It is the mindset that intimate is seeing the entire course.  Therefore at all times being one with the entire course.  

Seminole is that way...

Sand Hills is that way at times...

And Ballyneal is that way at time as well...think the vista tee box (I think it was 4).

EDIT...oh yeah...NGLA as well.  Think coming up 15, playing 16, then 17.  That whole way you can see vast expanses of the course and you really FEEL the course and you are surrounded by it and, if you are like me, you feel totally at one with the course.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:56:45 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 02:03:54 AM »
The responses on this thread are fascinating. Most of the responses define intimacy as courses where you can see and interact with other golfers. I think of intimate as secluded and seperate.

Intimate:  dinner for 2 in a secluded booth in the corner of a bistro

not intimate:  lunch at the mall food court

Intimate:  a carriage ride under a blanket on a cool autumn night

not intimate:  a bus ride in the bronx

What am I missing?  How can the parts of a golf course with expansive views of other holes and other groups be intimate?

Bart

Bart

Yes, there is intimacy on a course where a group is secluded, in particular on certain sections of many courses that all of us seem to have a lot of time for.  But don't you think there can be an intimacy between the architecture, terrain and golfer? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back