News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

The Death of the Big Design Firm
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:29:58 PM »
What if the economy trundles along like it is for the entire decade? Is one of the impacts of this economic crisis going to be the death of the large design firm?

When I began my own company in 2005, I was determined to keep my business as small as possible. My hope was to do well enough to be able to select between interesting projects rather than needing to add additional employees to deal with a growing workload. At the 2006 ASGCA meeting I sought out a few of the architects, who all ran small firms, for advice. Clyde Johnston was the first and he gave me one of the most thoughtful pieces of advice any architect ever offered up, “Keep your business small, employees to a minimum and work out of your house. At some point you’ll be really grateful you did.”

Five years later I found myself dealing with one of the tougher periods in recent memory. I have weathered this storm despite having an extended period where no work was coming in. I’ve watched massive lay-offs at big firms, small firms struggle to survive, people forced to leave the business, and been grateful to survive. I was fine because I had no employees, no office, no lease arrangements and no debt. I worked out of my house, drove my own car, paid for everything as I went and ran my business with no outside help. I only required the usual yearly audit by my accountant/pirate to make sure that I had my affairs in order.

I think the business of golf architecture is in the process of changing for the long term. I’ve noticed a recent trend where companies have approached some of the remaining employees about them going out on their own. The truth is the employees don’t really have a choice. The employee is allowed to maintain a link with the original company. This allows them to still work together or have the former employer recommend them for work. The former employer is either hired as sub-contractors to the original firm or as independent by the owner if they are both working on the same project. This is a nice arrangement, but the reality is the original company needed to reduce its payroll and commitments.

Interestingly, you can see how this approach may represent the ideal future from both perspectives. The former employee will enjoy the opportunity to build their own company based around their own personal interest or skill set. They will certainly enjoy the tax benefits and may if lucky see a substantial increase in income if things go well. This may lead to the independence that some designers crave. The employer will enjoy having much more flexibility in the business, less overhead to worry about, and the chance to restructure or redirect the company if they desire.

A number of years back I watched two major designers make a major change in their business. Their firms had grown substantially and they were no longer happy since the business end had begun to dominate their lives. They dropped their staff and became much more selective about work. They still earn a nice income, are in great demand and no longer have the complications of running a large business. Their examples had an impact on my desire to be a small boutique shop.

I know through my own experience that being small does present complications on occasion. Usually the question is about how you can you possibly meet all the obligations without having a team behind you. Lately a few architects manage to deal with this by banding together by name. The company shares the two or three or even four names, but each remains independent as a business entity. They combine forces when they need each other or work independently when they don’t. This helps them deal with questions about the size of the firm or the ability to put a team in place. It’s a clever way to keep it simple and still meet the requirements of certain types of projects.

I think one of the reasons this trend is going to gain strength is that one of the most influential companies in golf design is made up of multiple independent contractors. We easily associate the group under one name, but the reality is that they are an accumulation of companies. I think the future will see hundreds of small individual businesses that have the ability to work on projects together or work on their own projects as individual. This will make the golf design business a lot more flexible and cost effective to deal with a market that will never be near as strong as when the large firms emerged.

Being small and nimble has turned out to be an incredible advantage in these tough times that we still are going through. I look at all the decisions that I made and the one that mattered the most was the decision to keep the business small enough to provide me with flexibility if things went bad. And I’m very grateful that I did.

I’m curious to see what others think will happen to the golf design business if the economy goes no where for the entire decade.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:38:31 PM by Ian Andrew »

Ian Andrew

Re: The Death of the Big Design Firm
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 09:39:55 PM »
Thanks Kelly, that needed an edit badly.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:24 PM »
Ian
As someone who has kept 'small' through choice as far as working from home etc I can relate to all you say - even though some thought it a bit long winded. But not me!
Neil

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 10:29:34 PM »
Ian,
You absolutely right, we grew rapidily in three years and we thought things would only get bigger and better but nooooooooo! The wieird things is you can make few mistakes and the outside factors that you have no control over, just happen and things dwindle before your eyes and here I sit a one man firm with lots of talented people indirectly involved but none directly and working out of my home. Wish somebody could have given me the advice you got early on when I was invoicing important numbers. The only thing that saved me was seeing the reality quickly and taking quick action once the road was clear and down sizing came quickly without hesitation or second thought. Still trying to get accustomed to working out of the house, lots of interuptions and trying to get other family members around to understand this is my office and when I am in it I need my space to concentrate like I had when my office was outside. My productivity has diminished thats for sure but the advantages still out weigh the dis-advantages! Oh, I gotta go now, my wife just reminded me no one has fed the dog and I have to take out the trash!! Cheers!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 10:58:04 PM »
Ian:

As you know, I'm one who has been scaling back my operations a bit, and encouraging my senior associates to become independent.  It has been tough to do, and some are less happy about it than others, but it's the reality of the business these days.

My fallback position was that I would be plenty happy as long as we could build one new course per year, and I always figured if things slowed down that I could just put my whole staff to work on building that one course per year.  But, a year or two ago I realized that would no longer work, because there was so much talent and experience that they would be tripping over each others' toes, and that even as well as they all got along generally, they couldn't all go back to their old job descriptions when they can now do so much more.

The other reality of the business is that for the moment, anyway, there is a TON of talent sitting on the sidelines and trying to hang on in the golf business, and a solo architect like yourself could put together a hell of a good crew for a new job if one does come along.  I think I could easily put together good crews for four or five jobs simultaneously now, if there were only that many jobs to do.  As it is, I'm struggling to keep enough work going to allow the young talent a chance to continue learning and growing, and I know I'm much more fortunate than most -- heck, we even have a new golf course under construction in America!

Mike_Young

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:10:14 PM »
Ian,
As Tom says..there is so much talent sitting there that putting together a great team would be a snap.
I think you thought of having all of the various elements available to you as subs rather than employees is a good one...BUT I am more of a cynic when it comes to the overall economy and the GCA business....I don't think we will have to worry about someone wondering if a solo firm can handle a workload for awhile....and I am still convinced the future for most of us will be design/build....for the average golf course the architect will be providing such or the builder will be stepping on his toes and providing it....JMO...
Take care,
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeffrey Stein

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:39:44 AM »
Mr. Andrew and other GCAs,

I wrote to you in September 2008 looking for a way to break into golf design.  The picture you are painting now is not far from the one you gave me 2 years ago (the picture only now seems a bit more bleak). I put myself in the right postion to participate in the construction of Old Macdonald, but I also consider myself very lucky among many worthy candidates.  Even before we sprayed the last bag of hydro-seed at Old Macdonald my in-experience in the golf business was becoming painfully clear, no promises for employment could be made and construction work was going to be hard to come by.

I think the future will see hundreds of small individual businesses that have the ability to work on projects together or work on their own projects as individual.

The former employee will enjoy the opportunity to build their own company based around their own personal interest or skill set. They will certainly enjoy the tax benefits and may if lucky see a substantial increase in income if things go well.

I have come to grips with the fact that I am an independent contractor and will likely remain for the time being.  The advantage of this is the freedom it offers me to travel and find projects.  The disadvantages are the gaps in employment and being generally poor...

From my perspective your predictions are a reality.  Is this a good time to gain more educational qualifications or should I do more to build/market my skill set as an independent?
I love the smell of hydroseed in the morning.
www.steingolf.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:42:24 AM »
Jeffrey:

What Kelly said is right on.  I would only add that you should employ the broadest definition of the word "education" as possible, if education is a goal. 

Right now there are 100's of Landscape Architecture graduates of the classes of 2009-10 who have diplomas, but no jobs.  Whenever the economy gets moving again, I believe that the resume of what they've done over these years is going to be more impressive to a potential employer or client than any degree.

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:05:06 AM »
Jeffrey,
Some might disagree....but whatever the economy does....it will not need nearly as many GCA's as it has in the past...There are probably better odds of playing the PGA tour than designing a golf course with your name on it....that doesn't mean you will not...it just means the competition will be stiff....I think we lost about 800 golf courses between 1932 and 1939...about 700 were built between 1939 and 1951 and I think we reached around 7500 by 1972....( I could be off a little on some of that...each source tells it a little differently but it is close)  The era of the golf course /housing love affair is over and many of those will have to close if they cannot cash flow....it will be a very small business....it is all how much you wish to do it...Best of luck....

Adam Sherer

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:19 AM »
From my perspective your predictions are a reality.  Is this a good time to gain more educational qualifications or should I do more to build/market my skill set as an independent?

Go back to school!!!  That will be the best for you in the long run (this is also advice that I wish I had listened to a few years ago)
A degree in LA and a Masters in Finance / Business Admin. could be a great combo - especially considering the discussion of this thread.

But, getting back to the point of this thread.......the "boutique" design firm model is ideal, especially in regards to the renovation side of the industry (the side that will create the most potential work for GCA's in the next decade).  When a club hires a GCA to remodel their course - they want to see THAT architect, not his associate / partner / shaper / etc.   Getting the clients and getting them to spend the money in this economy, however, is the tricky part!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 09:45:29 AM by Adam Sherer »
"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
Slightly OT, but I can testify that the situation for building architects is quite similar as you can imagine.  Top name architects are "retiring" or slashing their staffs and taking renovation work they would have not even considered before...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Liddy

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
If this is a start of a therapy group count me in.

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »
I have three Chinese Interns working for me on grounds this fall and it seems that China may be the next big golf market.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »
Another reason that I think the big firms will be a thing of the past is the age of the principals involved:

Pete Dye (86)
Arnold Palmer (82)
Jack Nicklaus (71)
Rees Jones (70)
Bobby Jones (72)
Arthur Hills (76?)
Tom Fazio (66)
Jeff Brauer (103) ;)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »
From my perspective your predictions are a reality.  Is this a good time to gain more educational qualifications or should I do more to build/market my skill set as an independent?

I think what we see now will last for a while.
It's not bad, but the opportunities are limited.

This could potentially be a good time to go to school because you will graduate into a much better situation. That assumes that you have the interest and can afford the time and expense to go that route.

As I said to you before construction experience is still the biggest factor in who I would select.

One thing I do know, the direction needs to be entirely your choice since there is no road map to becoming an architect.

Ian Larson

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 10:28:47 PM »
Brauer at 103!!!!!   ;D

I'm curious if all of you architects think that this will free up space in the industry with big firms possibly going down sooner than later or will it become even more competitive with all of the talented design associates underneath each going out independently?

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »
I'm curious if all of you architects think that this will free up space in the industry with big firms possibly going down sooner than later or will it become even more competitive with all of the talented design associates underneath each going out independently?

It will bring a change in leadership.

The firms may not be as big, but there will always be dominant players in the industry.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 11:14:59 PM »
I think I look exceptional for my age......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

paul cowley

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
The dirt architects will survive because they are grounded...the office architects wont unless they go back and learn what dirt is...touch it...feel it...and sweat while you do it.

I'm not sure about irrigation designers unless they can handle no greens loops and 90' head spacing. I enjoyed it best when Toro/Rainbird designed for free if they got the contract.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:37:13 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Young

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:03 AM »
The dirt architects will survive because they are grounded...the office architects wont unless they go back and learn what dirt is...touch it...feel it...and sweat while you do it.

I'm not sure about irrigation designers unless they can handle no greens loops and 90' head spacing. I enjoyed it best when Toro/Rainbird designed for free if they got the contract.

Paul,
I think you have a point here....
But the overall biggest issue is ..there is no reason to build a course..you can always buy one cheaper for a long time...there might be a few redos but not to the extent they were....
I want o see how all of those firms that have condemned building a course that could survive by designing irrigation etc as you describe....I want to see how they try to sell it now...the way some guys sold golf courses was no different selling more house to a buyer than they could pay for.....would be interesting to see how many of the "Best New projects have actually been able to self sustain....

OT..what's the face book is gay deal????  agree but just wondered

Andrew Bosworth

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »
Hi gang, first time poster.  I can relate to Jeffrey Stein's comments in particular.  After nearly a decade of chasing after a career in golf course architecture, of which time I was able to work with some outstanding people and see some great courses, I am at the point where the hopes of a career in this business are very dim.  I started my own business about 2 years ago figuring I would get my start with little jobs here and there, and eventually land a few bigger jobs which would set me on my way.  Finding even little jobs has proven extremely difficult.  I work a "regular" job to pay the bills, but my passion continues to be golf course architecture.  I am curious to hear from Tom, Ian and other GCAs your thoughts on how guys in similar positions as mine (essentially starting out) find work, especially if we have to compete with guys of your experience level?  When you were starting out, what were the biggest obstacles you had to conquer?  

Mike_Young

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
Hi gang, first time poster.  I can relate to Jeffrey Stein's comments in particular.  After nearly a decade of chasing after a career in golf course architecture, of which time I was able to work with some outstanding people and see some great courses, I am at the point where the hopes of a career in this business are very dim.  I started my own business about 2 years ago figuring I would get my start with little jobs here and there, and eventually land a few bigger jobs which would set me on my way.  Finding even little jobs has proven extremely difficult.  I work a "regular" job to pay the bills, but my passion continues to be golf course architecture.  I am curious to hear from Tom, Ian and other GCAs your thoughts on how guys in similar positions as mine (essentially starting out) find work, especially if we have to compete with guys of your experience level?  When you were starting out, what were the biggest obstacles you had to conquer?  

Andrew,
Read the book OUTLIERS....timing is huge in this business....

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »
Andrew,

I was asked last year for a Golf Week article how things had changed in the golf design business. I jokingly said that I used to get recommended for smaller clubs by bigger players who were too busy to take on new work. I knew everything had changed when I was on a list for what I considered to be a second tier club and the list included the who’s who of major players in the industry. This was a typical club for a second tier guy like me, but once the new work dried up, the competition intensified for renovation work.

A couple of thoughts to your question:

There are locations that are not as well served as other areas. Most cities, like Toronto, have way too many players already, but other cities have much more opportunity. There is “always” regional work available, particularly if you are willing to travel further out into smaller communities. I have a friend who’s making major inroads in one region which is a long way from his home and he has quickly built a business as he gets recommended by each club to other clubs in the area. For example I went to Halifax recently for one course and quickly had three.

Mike and Paul alluded to the business returning to the dirt and I think that is where there is opportunity if you have the skill. If you can find the work and build it, you certainly simplify things for clients and control the quality of your work. If you build good work and grow your reputation, you will be recommended for more projects. You may build a lot of tees and bunkers long before you do anything really cool, but we all had to start small before we can go on to bigger things.

For some perspective (and a good giggle too ):

My first project was a single green built at 19, done mainly for the experience. I teamed up with a Civil Engineer who bought a golf course for the housing play. He needed to make a small alteration to make things work out and a mutual friend suggested we at least talk. We hit it off and he asked me to put together suggestions which lead to the relocation of a hole and the building of a new green. The superintendent and I built the green together and I hand raked that surface for a day to get it perfect. It was four years later when I worked for Doug, but I had done other small projects along the way and slowly built up a track record along with working for LA firms.

I guess what I’m saying is do anything, because you never know what can lead to bigger and better things.

Andrew Bosworth

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
Mike,

I've read some of Gladwell's other work, I assume this will be an equally fascinating read.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Ian,

Thank you for the advice.  Patience and hard work seem to be the over-riding theme!  I live in Harrisburg, PA - outside of Philly and Pittsburgh, there is plenty of open space and many golf courses dotting the landscape.  My goal up to this point has been to contact better known clubs, while over looking some of the smaller regional courses.  My guess is that many of these clubs have never been contacted by a designer.  This may be the place to start focusing my attention.

As far as construction goes, do you work with the same builders most of the time, or companies located close to the project?  My construction experience is somewhat limited, though my hope would be to partner with someone down the road.  The design/build model is very appealing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
Andrew:

You are not going to compete with us for a while, any more than I competed with Pete Dye when I was 27.  It takes time to build a practice and a reputation, and it won't be easy over the next few years.

I am 49, so the closest thing I've seen to the current economy was the economy when I was in college and right when I graduated (1982).  There weren't very many golf courses under construction then, either.  But, everything is cyclical and what looked to be a tough market when I was starting out was actually an advantage ... it discouraged other guys my age from trying it on their own, and the growth cycle came back up just as I was beginning to make a name for myself.  I would guess that the 19-year-olds on this board are best positioned to be the architects of the future ... especially if they can speak Chinese.

Interestingly, I met a new potential client a couple of weeks ago who is 2-3 years older than me.  He was in Landscape Architecture school in 1979-80 and had a contact with Pete Dye to work on construction just as I have done ... but he hit the job market a couple of years earlier than I did, saw that the business was contracting, and went to work in development instead.  So now, his net worth is probably 10x mine, and he may hire me to build a golf course!  But part of him wishes he'd stuck it out and made 10x less.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back