News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Kearney

Help with blind tee - danger
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
Hi All,

This is not really an architectural thread but I am looking for help.
We have blind tee shot on our course which is causing a safety issue. Once on the tee, the golfer cannot see the group ahead once they have passed say 190yds ...  one cannot tell if a golfer is playing a shot from 200 yards and we have no warning system. There have been many "close shaves" and I have been close myself both as the golfer driving from the tee and at the receiving end while waiting to play the second shot.
We have a bell at a nearby hole so a bell is not usable,unless we have different tones, but that would be difficult for visitors, while a member will come to recognise the different tones .. but not very workable. We are reluctant to build a steps structure as they are "ugly" and we can do little about the routing. The tee has very little room to be moved and would do little to alleviate the problem.
Have you guys any knowledge of "wireless" bells or any other innovative solutions that we may install to minimise the risks to golfers....
Any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks
Ken.

PS when I try to insert the image with the "insert image" icon ... it doesnt seem to work... any help, please... 

KK.

Peter Galea

"chief sherpa"

Ken Kearney

Re: Help with blind tee - danger
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 10:31:18 AM »
Peter,

Thanks for that... might do something a little more subtle than they built at Victoria. We would need planning permission to build that one...
Periscope is simple to build and will consider that.

KK
KK.

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »
Periscope at the first tee of the unpretentious and under-rated Spring Valley GC, a Langford-Moreau course near Salem, WI, with a 1st hole that has a blind outcome on the tee shot right out of the gate.

The Golf House Club at Elie has perhaps the best-known periscope in golf, as the 1st hole goes straight up a hill.

http://www.golfhouseclub.co.uk/index.php?page=ghc-index

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
I played a Ross course in NH that had a very talll flag that one removed when in the fairway then replace once you were heading to the green.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark McKeever

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:34:23 AM »
Phoenixville Country Club in Valley Forge, PA has some well placed/angled mirrors on a couple of the tee boxes.  They stand about 15-18 feet high on poles and provide a better view of the blind landing area.  I don't have any pictures, but  mentally picture a large dental mirror with the butt end shoved in the ground.  They work very well.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Cristian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
.....Ring a bell once; first fairway free....

....Twice (or three times); for the blind situation on the other hole....

A similar situation exists at De Pan 6; a double blind hole (green from fairway and fairway from tee) There are two bells here; one to indicate the fairway is free (sound once) and one to indicate the green is free (sound three times). The system is indicated on the tee.
Works fine...

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 01:58:32 PM »

This is what I was talking about. I thought it was at Rye, but my memory of Rye is getting old and I have a feeling I might have been mistaken:

When you leave the tee, you tap this and it turns red; then, there'd be another box out in the fairway that you tap to give the green light back at the tee...I'd also assume that if some idiot forgets to tap it green again, it would automatically turn off after some pre-determined period of time...

There is a course here in Phoenix with something similar (18 @ Pointe Lookout Mtn). You play your drive and hit a button to turn the light red. Then hit another button in the fairway when your group has hit and is moving out of the driving zone. that turns the light on the tee back to green.

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
Periscope at the first tee of the unpretentious and under-rated Spring Valley GC, a Langford-Moreau course near Salem, WI, with a 1st hole that has a blind outcome on the tee shot right out of the gate.

The Golf House Club at Elie has perhaps the best-known periscope in golf, as the 1st hole goes straight up a hill.

http://www.golfhouseclub.co.uk/index.php?page=ghc-index

Phil, in all honesty, that's a hideous monstrosity.

This is what I was talking about. I thought it was at Rye, but my memory of Rye is getting old and I have a feeling I might have been mistaken:

When you leave the tee, you tap this and it turns red; then, there'd be another box out in the fairway that you tap to give the green light back at the tee...I'd also assume that if some idiot forgets to tap it green again, it would automatically turn off after some pre-determined period of time...

Shivas:

In all honesty, the periscope at Spring Valley fits perfectly with that course's milieu -- ragged around the edges, 20-year-old hole flags, shaggy tee areas, blue-collar to its bones. Meant to give a sense of the potential use of a periscope; you could certainly build a nicer-looking one that's a bit more discreet.

The old 9-hole muni in Madison right next to the cemetery -- Glenway -- uses a stoplight function on the 9th hole -- and its a real stoplight, no doubt grifted from the city street department.

I have to say, Lawsonia has somehow gotten by without any of this stuff for its blind drive on the 2nd hole.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:10:47 PM »
A convex mirror in a nearby tree.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 03:15:27 PM »
Rye's traffic lights are cool and typically understated. Plus they work well!
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »
A convex mirror in a nearby tree.
Cheers

Here's the sign and mirror on the 14th tee at Berkshire Blue

Regarding traffic lights, the long blind par 3 14th at Hunstanton has a similar system that seems to work well.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Smolens

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
There's a really cool looking periscope one one of the holes at Biltmore which is (I think) is located in Barrington or one of the directional Barringtons.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 04:28:13 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully the club will make a call on this very soon and I will post the solution on here.
If you're ever coming this way, make sure to make contact and we can have a game. I would love to hook up with some of you guys... all sound interesting!!!

Thanks for the help,
Slán go foill,
Ken K.

KK.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 05:32:42 AM »
Hi All,

This is not really an architectural thread but I am looking for help.
We have blind tee shot on our course which is causing a safety issue. Once on the tee, the golfer cannot see the group ahead once they have passed say 190yds ...  one cannot tell if a golfer is playing a shot from 200 yards and we have no warning system. There have been many "close shaves" and I have been close myself both as the golfer driving from the tee and at the receiving end while waiting to play the second shot.
We have a bell at a nearby hole so a bell is not usable,unless we have different tones, but that would be difficult for visitors, while a member will come to recognise the different tones .. but not very workable. We are reluctant to build a steps structure as they are "ugly" and we can do little about the routing. The tee has very little room to be moved and would do little to alleviate the problem.
Have you guys any knowledge of "wireless" bells or any other innovative solutions that we may install to minimise the risks to golfers....
Any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks
Ken.

PS when I try to insert the image with the "insert image" icon ... it doesnt seem to work... any help, please... 

Ken

The first solution is the low-tech and cheap option.  I would install another bell with a nice plaque honouring some chap worth chap.  Two rings for the earlier hole and four rings for the later hole.  Avoid electrics if you can.  They cost money, need to be maintained and contrary to Shivas' opinion, the light looks dreadful at Rye. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back