News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Post a link to your favorite GCA thread
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »
Ryan's aerials of Oakmont showing the then tree problem and the little discussed (for some strange reason) fairway narrowing and reshaping.
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32731.0/

I can't find George's wonderful thread on Oakmont he did before last year's US Open (I think).

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »

I can’t find the link for some reason but I expect most will remember it  - it’s the one that, well most must know its about

Talk about this blog being a site full of friendship, fellowship, total co-operation, going out of ones way to help other Members, of hands across the Ocean, full understanding and appreciation of the point of views of others and complete knowledge that you had the right to voice your opinions without an avalanche of hostile, nay hateful vile abuse in return.

Ops just realised this is GCA.com and I know there is no such link on this site  - sorry guys wrong site. – but we can always dream that perhaps one day……… no that’s just stretching it a little too far, no never in the field of human etc, etc will the Members on this GCA.com site show a caring face its seems it a sign of weakness apparently. ;) :'(

Melvyn

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »

I can’t find the link for some reason but I expect most will remember it  - it’s the one that, well most must know its about

Talk about this blog being a site full of friendship, fellowship, total co-operation, going out of ones way to help other Members, of hands across the Ocean, full understanding and appreciation of the point of views of others and complete knowledge that you had the right to voice your opinions without an avalanche of hostile, nay hateful vile abuse in return.

Ops just realised this is GCA.com and I know there is no such link on this site  - sorry guys wrong site. – but we can always dream that perhaps one day……… no that’s just stretching it a little too far, no never in the field of human etc, etc will the Members on this GCA.com site show a caring face its seems it a sign of weakness apparently. ;) :'(

Melvyn

Melvyn:

Thanks for adding nothing to this thread.

In other news, I think F. Scott Fitzgerald penned most of the following:  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42437.0/
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »

Sven

My pleasure, but sometimes the truth hurts, I was trying to find the topic in which someone wished I had a 'Stroke', but decided to use a little humour instead, sorry it did nothing for you.

Melvyn

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:09 PM »
I dream of the day when more than a mere few understand Mel's kidding most of the time. I know, it's the impossible dream, but I'm a dreamer nonetheless.

Sean, here's the main Oakmont review thread (from 2007, yikes, we must be really old):

Summary thoughts on Oakmont - please add yours
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »

Sven

My pleasure, but sometimes the truth hurts, I was trying to find the topic in which someone wished I had a 'Stroke', but decided to use a little humour instead, sorry it did nothing for you.

Melvyn

Melvyn:

The purpose of this thread is to relive or experience for the first time some of the best moments from the history of this site, not to give you a forum to once again spout your theories of personal persecution.  We've heard it before, and it doesn't need to be said again here.  I for one would appreciate if you could just once let a thread exist without creating some implausible or unwarranted connection to your personal plight on this site or your toxically multitudinous efforts to inform the world of your connections with the golfers of yore and their keen eyesight and perambulatory habits.

Perhaps the thread you were looking for is this one (http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44200.0/), it seems to meet the criteria you listed.

George:

He may be kidding, but it's the same joke I've heard a thousand times before.  It's old, it's tired, it needs a new punchline.  (That being said, there may be a few on this site that enjoy our intrepid scion of the Morris clan to such an extent that a thread full of his ramblings will be linked to here.)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:17:57 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »

Sven

You have proved my point so well with your comments. You are not full of forgiveness or tolerance, but seem full of hate and anger. Yet what I don't get if you know I was on this site then why join, sooner or later we would cross.

You, my friend are exactly what I correctly described - yet why, why not talk, are you so far up yourself that you think you don't want to talk to some of us on GCA.com. Christ, Sven this is after all a DG for people to submit their opinions.

My favourite link would indeed be that of friendship and fellowship of tolerance and understand, but that’s does not exist on this site because of people with your mentality.

What a waste. I would rather crack a joke than crack someone’s skull, it allows for further dialogue in most cases, better to talk, talk than war, war.

Melvyn 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:13 PM »
From a GCA perspective I loved Mark's RM thread however I also like George Pazin's get to know you threads....

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,42023.0/

Mac Plumart

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
Kevin...

I like those Get to Know You Threads as well, but mine got deleted for some reason.   :'(

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »
Mac

I enjoy reading about GCAers backgrounds and their interests in life and what got them started in golf. Even though we're spread all over the world we are able to link in some way through this community.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 09:17:32 PM »
Agreed 100%

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 09:42:19 PM »

Sven

You have proved my point so well with your comments. You are not full of forgiveness or tolerance, but seem full of hate and anger. Yet what I don't get if you know I was on this site then why join, sooner or later we would cross.

Melvyn, I certainly wish you no ill, and I do not hate you nor am I angry at you.  I just find your interruptions and diatribes tiresome.  I joined the site b/c of my interests in GCA.  The thought that our paths might cross (and the only reason they do is because of your incessant need to assert yourself in every conversation) never crossed my mind and was certainly not a concern.  Your suggestion that it might lends me to think your ego has run amok.

You, my friend are exactly what I correctly described - yet why, why not talk, are you so far up yourself that you think you don't want to talk to some of us on GCA.com. Where in the world did you get the idea I don't want to participate in the discussions on this site.  I'll chalk this up to your unwillingness to read and understand the posts of others.  Christ, Sven this is after all a DG for people to submit their opinions. I prefer to think of it as a forum for reasoned discourse.  When you chime in like you did here, I see no reason in your discourse.

My favourite link would indeed be that of friendship and fellowship of tolerance and understand, but that’s does not exist on this site because of people with your mentality.  "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation". -Herbert Spencer  Right here, Melvin, is where you demonstrate your ignorance.  If you took the time to open the thread I included in my last post you'd see a wonderful example of all of the qualities you suggested do not exist on this site.  I would suggest that one of the reasons why you are the center of such vitriol is because of your bullheaded approach to conversations.  Rarely does it seem that you have taken the time to understand a response and it appears to this reader that your monastic adhesion to a singular message has prevented you from appreciating and participating in many of the enlightening discussions that take place.  

What a waste. I would rather crack a joke than crack someone’s skull, it allows for further dialogue in most cases, better to talk, talk than war, war. You can play the victim as much as you want to attempt to convince yourself you're in the right, but sooner or later you'll look back and realize you're just a fool.

Melvyn  

PS - If you'd like to continue our conversation, please take it offline to a PM.  This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and I don't need you jacking my thread any longer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:47:52 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Jason Hines

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »

Sven

Melvyn

Melvyn:

The purpose of this thread is to relive or experience for the first time some of the best moments from the history of this site, not to give you a forum to once again spout your theories of personal persecution.  We've heard it before, and it doesn't need to be said again here.  I for one would appreciate if you could just once let a thread exist without creating some implausible or unwarranted connection to your personal plight on this site or your toxically multitudinous efforts to inform the world of your connections with the golfers of yore and their keen eyesight and perambulatory habits.

Perhaps the thread you were looking for is this one (http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44200.0/), it seems to meet the criteria you listed.

George:

He may be kidding, but it's the same joke I've heard a thousand times before.  It's old, it's tired, it needs a new punchline.  (That being said, there may be a few on this site that enjoy our intrepid scion of the Morris clan to such an extent that a thread full of his ramblings will be linked to here.)

Did Andy ever post photos and narrative from his trip?  I thought he was going to and may have missed it.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »

Did Andy ever post photos and narrative from his trip?  I thought he was going to and may have missed it.

I think this is it:  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44558.0/

David Egan

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »

Sven

My pleasure, but sometimes the truth hurts, I was trying to find the topic in which someone wished I had a 'Stroke',

Melvyn

That was a good one, thanks for reminding me of it.

Doug Wright

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12142.0/

GCA and the Pizza Man!  Somebody reminded me of it in the Ferris Wheel thread.  It's a great story, and the thread also has some very spirited discussion by GCA titans past and present.

The Pizza Man story is my all-time favorite.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 12:46:05 PM »
I didn't book mark it, but Pat Mucci's reminiscences of his father.

I will second and third this thread.

Maybe we should have a yearly "Oscars" like vote and give awards to the best threads of the year??

Is this the one?  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44445.0/

Yes, that is the one.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
On the road, but my favorite non-architecture thread(s) are the caddy stories.  Laugh my ass off everytime I reread the Rocky (from Pine Valley) tales. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »

I like those Get to Know You Threads as well, but mine got deleted for some reason.   :'(

WHY ???

Report to moderator....

Chris Buie

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »
There was a thread a few years back about a guys experience playing Augusta.  You were expecting another description of ANGC but it was actually some muni in Augusta.  The author used the descriptions from ANGC for the corresponding holes on the muni.  It was very clever and very, very funny.  I would enjoy reading that one again if I could find it.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2010, 02:39:34 PM »
I really enjoyed Mucci's recounting of a few tales while visiting Sand Hills a few years back.  From the whoopings he gave to Ran and Huckaby, followed by TEPaul in the airport and on the plane (excuse me sir, but aren't you Bill Coore?) were classic.  Wish I could remember the title as I think Mucci's stories were a bit of a sidebar to the actual thread itself.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Anthony Gray

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

Kyle Hendersons's photo tour of his trip to Scotland stands out for me. Also Kavanaugh's "Do you consider yourself one of the great minds of golf" was superb.I wish he was still around to insult my intelligence.

Anthony

Ian Andrew

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2010, 10:16:23 PM »
Three that spring to mind:

Tom MacWood's bunker thread is still the best eduction I ever got.
Never assume to know to much...

Tom Doak's post on "guess" the earthmoving at Pacific Dunes was a personal favourite.
Minimalism is not as simple as it sounds...

Mucci's post on "What should you restore on the16th hole at Garden City?" was the one that had me reading every night for weeks on end
It played an important role in my views on restoration because of the massive shades of grey involved.
How do you make the call when it's not clear...

Scott Szabo

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2010, 02:27:54 PM »

Kyle Hendersons's photo tour of his trip to Scotland stands out for me. Also Kavanaugh's "Do you consider yourself one of the great minds of golf" was superb.I wish he was still around to insult my intelligence.

Anthony

Don't you have Garland to do that for you?  Along with many others  ;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back