News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Sargowana: an AHBD Travis in Brooklyn?
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
Ran into this neat one the other day, again courtesy of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle.  The Sargowana golf course was a private club announced to the masses in this December 10, 1916 edition of the BDE.

What is an AHBD?  Almost happened but didn't!   ;)

From what I can tell, this course never got on the ground b/c of WW 1.

Here is the routing:

And a description of the layout:

Sargowana was trying to get off the ground at the time of the USGA fuss with architects being deemed professionals if paid for their work.  Here is part of a longer article where Travis and Sargowana are talked about, from the January 14, 1917 edition of the BDE:

And a similar snippet from a Jan 23, 1917 BDE article:

Noted amateur Oswald Kirby had signed up to be a member:

But later that month, Sargowana became like one of those VH1 Behind The Music shows, and something started to go terribly wrong.   ;)

This from the May 26, 1917 edition of the BDE.

I'm still trying to figure out for certain if this course ever got up and running.  Fun to think about how good it might have been....

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

Re: Sargowana: an AHBD Travis in Brooklyn?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:57 PM »
Joe,

Shell Bank Creek mentioned in the article is where the current RTJ designed Marine Park GC is located, I think. No idea what that really means.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:47:44 PM »
Joe,

I am wondering if it was or another course was built on the spot because I believe that may be the location for Dyker Beach Golf Club. Don't get fooled by the water as a great deal of today's land in that area is actually reclaimed land from the sea built upon landfills... I think some serious research is needed here...

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »
Joe
This sounds like it might be the property that Sargowana was going to be built on - headed for the auction block.

http://tinyurl.com/2ff3gjj   ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 05:38:17 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »
....and in this article it looks like the property has had quite a few homes built on it. 
First column on the left, fourth paragraph down from the top.

http://tinyurl.com/337a5bz

Below is the map of the property today. Shell Bank Creek is the finger of water on the left and Gerrittsen Creek is the finger of water immediately to its right.  Marine Park GC lies to the right of the island     

This is the map of Sargowana that you found. Shell Bank Creek is the water on the left and Gerrittsen Creek is the  water on the right.   

Looks to me like they are the same property and that would seem to suggest it went up for auction, was purchased, and then 1,200 or more homes were built on it. Part of it also looks to have been incorporated into Marine Park (not the golf course, just parkland, trails, and a couple of ballfields). 
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back