News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Shelman

Edina Country Club (MN)
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:21:52 PM »
Learned a little something yesterday about the work that is being done at Edina Country Club from someone who would know.

ECC is a Bendelow that opened in the 1920s. They have had problems with their greens off and on for quite a while.

They embarked on a pretty ambitious project this summer with Tom Lehman doing the plans.

The most interesting item I heard is that they are shortening the ninth hole (moving the green to the northwest and closer to the tee) and dramatically lengthening the 18th hole (moving the green to the north to where the old 9th green was).

The 9th hole will now likely play in the 320-330 range and could be a cool short par 4 as the prevailing wind does help on that hole. No. 18 will now be a total monster, something in the 450-465 range.

In addition, several bunkers have been moved or added or subtracted. A bunch of trees are also going down (or have gone down). I was told that it will look quite a bit different.

Just a little tidbit for the Minnesota crowd.

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Edina Country Club (MN)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 04:06:25 PM »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:02:52 PM »
Actually a very interesting collection of videos here of Lehman walking through the changes.

In addition to just the changes, it also gives a little sense as to what Lehman likes/doesn't like as a player and an architect.

http://www.restorationupdate.com/?page_id=28

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »
I've always enjoyed the few rounds I had at ECC minus the putting on what were always very suspect greens (condition-wise not design-wise). Will be very interesting to see Lehman's changes, sounds like 9 and 18 could be getting better.

Jeff any word on other holes changing significantly or just those two?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »
I always found ECC tough to score on because of the trees and ridiculous slope on some of the par 3 greens.  A good course that not many people ever hear about, which reflects well on the quality of golf in the Twin Cities.

Thanks for the update.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
Patrick,

Click on the link that I posted above. There is video of Lehman talking about the changes with drawings on a hole-by-hole basis.

It's pretty good.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:07:39 PM »
Jeff:

Thanks for the info. I've never been to Edina CC or heard much about it in the past, but the blog and videos everyone has posted are great! Thanks for posting both.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back