News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Farrow

Re: Courses under Construction
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2010, 06:39:37 AM »
We've started our project in Florida, with another band of famed minimalists working alongside.  That and a couple of renovations are all we've had this year, and we are grateful for each of them.

I'm going to keep a running total here, since this is of interest to me.

Under Construction - USA (5) - Kearney NE (Engh), Florida (Doak), Florida (Coore), Shelton WA (Bates), southern Arkansas (K. Dye)

Under Construction - Overseas - Nova Scotia, Canada (Whitman), Newcastle, England (Turner/Macpherson), Hainan China (Coore), Hainan China (Curley / Schmidt) x 5

Tom,

We have finished grassing 9/10 courses at Mission Hills.... 2 Projects in Mexico, 1 With Faldo. 1 in Egypt with Faldo. Our 3 course project in Kunming, China has finished..... thats just a brief list, really a bunch of stuff in China, some are moving, a lot are held up or just slowly sorting out their issues. Still, Brian and Lee have plenty of time to get around every month. Brian just finished an interview with Ran for GCA, should be posted soon...

Also, you guys might want to check out Jack's website. Tons of information and photos about where they are working.

Ryan, Where are you courses in Mexico?

Greg,

Amanali Golf Club is in Tepeji,  kind of South-Central, Eastern Mexico... if that makes any sense. The course is a long time in the making, its being built in house. 9 Holes are have just opened.

And the Faldo course is in San Miguel de Allende

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:34 AM »
Scott, #12 - the image of 9th at Close House with Clayts testing - looks like he has the honour on his new design partner next to him....:)
@theflatsticker

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 04:35:47 AM »
Tripp Davis is in construction at Turtle Dunes in Acapulco - course should open next spring. Sometime GCA poster Richard Mandell is in the middle of a huge earthmoving project at Zhangjiajie in Hunan province, China.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Robin Doodson

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 06:02:03 AM »
As far as I am aware (I could be wrong) but I believe there are a few construction projects in Aust. at the moment

Stonecutters Ridge (NSW) - Harrison
The Dunes Port Hughes (SA) - GNGCD
Bingara Gorge (NSW) - Marsh
Kalgoorlie (WA) - Marsh

I believe Thomson and Perrett may be involved in a couple as well ?

We will be opening Ross Watson's new course here at Sanctuary Cove in Queensland in March/April. All ticking along nicely, will be fully grassed within 5 weeks.

Robin

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 08:14:29 AM »
As MIke Hamilton mentioned Westham GC has opened 9 holes ion the west side of Richmond. My firm Billy Casper Golf has been retained by the new developer to manage the course and assist with the development of the remaining 9-holes. Tom Clark did the original routing and Nicklaus design was brought in as well. I rode the the first none and found it to ne very interesting and challenging. The greens resemble Clark greens as opposed to Nicklaus. The course is still a little rough around the edges however the greens are very good. Completion of the second nine is a couple of years away.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
Well, we're up to ten in the USA.

Ought to be pretty easy to make the top ten new courses next year ... except there won't be one.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 11:57:46 AM »
We have discussed this last year, but Notah Begay and I did Firekeeper in Mayetta, KS last year, and it is growing in right now.  Tribal play begins next month and public play begins next May.  Since the construction really took place in 2009, I am not sure this should be on the list.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Weersing

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
Salish Cliffs, Shelton, WA, designed by Gene Bates, should open late 2011.  It is a project of the Squaxin Tribe.

Here is an update about Salish: http://www.insidegolfnewspaper.com/golf-news/work-continues-on-salish-cliffs-golf-course-in-shelton

http://classic.cybergolf.com/jeffsJournal/

Will MacEwen

« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2010, 01:16:44 PM »
What is the status of Union Bay Golf Links on Vancouver Island ?

As far as I can tell, they have resolved all the legal/municipal issues.  Some clearing has been done, but I don't know when or if things will get rolling.

As best as I can gather, Wyndandsea in Ucluelet is dead.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
Anything new in California? ???
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

George Freeman

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
We've started our project in Florida, with another band of famed minimalists working alongside...  

Tom,

I recall reading bits and pieces of the story about this development.  How is construction of the courses coming?  Can you give the tree house an update?

Thanks,

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »

I know there's "some" work done on this one (visible on Google Maps), but can't say for sure if this Fall 2010 date is real or not:

http://www.trilogygolfclub.com/mountainhouse_soon.asp

My wife has a Triathlon near Livermore this weekend, maybe I'll take a ride and see what's happening.

(Note this is not the closed/maybe NLE Mountain House Golf Course up in the hills. Where every hole was the windmill hole.)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2010, 08:01:08 PM »

I know there's "some" work done on this one (visible on Google Maps), but can't say for sure if this Fall 2010 date is real or not:

http://www.trilogygolfclub.com/mountainhouse_soon.asp

My wife has a Triathlon near Livermore this weekend, maybe I'll take a ride and see what's happening.

(Note this is not the closed/maybe NLE Mountain House Golf Course up in the hills. Where every hole was the windmill hole.)

Hopefully it will be better than Brentwood or Rio Vista!
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike Benham

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »

Note this is not the closed/maybe NLE Mountain House Golf Course up in the hills. Where every hole was the windmill hole.

Well, it will still be windy whether there are windmills on each hole or not ...

The master plan has the course in a nice little figure 8 routing following a creek ...

Hard to see any work in this Google Aerial  Mountain House Community Golf Course

But at least you will have a nice unobstructed view of the windmills ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Andy Silis

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Tom;

Any details available on your course in Florida?

Private or Public?

Thanks.

Andy Silis

P.S.  Played Tumble Creek recently....Fabulous!....Some of your best bunkering work....Damn hard golf course from the tips though...LOL!

John Foley

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2010, 09:38:15 AM »
They building 9 more holes at The Lazy Swan in Saugerties NY - Archie is Barry Jordan.

I walked the first 9 yesterday (did not know it was a planned 18 until I got there and saw the construction going on) and it was a nice course. Nothing outstanding, but nothing revolting either. Little too much water for my tastes.

Anyone else seen this yet?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Philip Spogard

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »
We have, as Adam mentioned, De Stippleberg in construction as well as a 27 hole project in Bentwoud, Netherlands which has recently started. Hopefully another 3 18 holes courses within the next 12 months which are about to start.

I would love to post some photos but is there a simple way to do this?

Christoph Meister

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »

Castelfalfi in Italy is a 36 hole project developed by the German travel firm TUI, with one course just about ready for opening and another in construction, designed by Wilfried Moroder and Rainer Preissmann; the Gary Player course at Donnafugata in Sicily is still in construction, and Tom Weiskopf's course at Castiglion del Bosco looks pretty impressive.

The first of the two courses at Castelfalfi, the mountain course, has been opened in August 2010 and during the first two weeks of October I did have the pleasure to play that course during my annual family holidays - a pleasant course with some major improvements compared to the previous 18-hole course at Castelfalfi has been created by Preißmann & Moroder - You'll find my photos on

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Italy/Castelfalfi%20Mountain/index.html

Cheers,

Christoph
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »
One of just a handful of courses under construction in the US.   Jones beating out 30 other architects and working with a $5 million dollar budget are interesting tidbits.

LAREDO, Texas--South Texas, with its mild temperatures in winter and the tropical heat of the summer, coupled with the lure of the outdoor activities found in the area, makes it a sports enthusiasts’ paradise.

Today, the City of Laredo broke ground on the Max A. Mandel Municipal Golf Course, a new Robert Trent Jones II designed golf course, so that paradise is going to start looking a lot like heaven to a lot of golfers in Laredo, throughout Texas, the United States and even, Mexico.

Robert Trent Jones, II, (RTJ II) one of the leading golf course design firms in the world, won the selection competition to design the new course for the City of Laredo finishing atop the list of 30 design/build teams that responded to the initial request for qualifications.

Based in Palo Alto, California, the firm has designed or remodeled more than 250 golf courses worldwide over the last four decades. RTJ II courses are routinely recognized for their imagination, strategic interest and site suitability.

Crafted on 270 acres of land perched above the Rio Grande, the core golf layout will celebrate the rugged beauty of the South Texas landscape, highlighting not only the tremendous views of the Rio Grande, but also, incorporating the two substantial arroyos that extend into the property.

The unique configuration of the Jones design will provide maximum flexibility in course utilization and set-up, presenting a course equal in challenge, enjoyment, beauty and just as importantly, affordability.

With Landscapes Unlimited, one of the world’s leading golf construction firms, at the helm to build the course, the City of Laredo’s first municipal golf course will be a one-of-a-kind facility in the country.

The golf course will be operated by Foresight Golf.

“This golf course will be the catalyst for business development and investment in our community,” said City of Laredo Mayor Raul G. Salinas.

“Not only from the jobs this project will create locally, but also, the type of companies that will want to come to Laredo because of the quality of this golf course.”

According to leaders, the idea of a municipal golf course was always a project that was on the horizon, but lack of financing and other priority projects always pushed the project to the backburner.

When the Mandel family first approached the City of Laredo with the idea of a partnership to develop the project into a reality, officials researched the possible positive financial impact the golf course would have to not only current and future Laredoans, including the economy in terms of jobs created.

They realized the golf course was now a priority project.

This project is made possible by the generous land donation of 390 acres by the family of the late Max A. Mandel, who, along with the property, also donated $1 million to the City of Laredo for construction, as well as water rights for irrigation purposes.

Mr. Mandel was a longtime Laredo banker who looked for ways to use the resources of then-The Laredo National Bank, where he served for 40 years in various capacities, including President, CEO and Chairman of the Board, to build a stronger economic foundation for Laredo, including financing several of Laredo’s key infrastructure projects, such as Laredo’s International Bridges I and II, and many other projects, including purchasing bonds both Laredo school districts.

Before his passing, he was also a great leader and supporter of Los Dos Laredos; his wife, Roslyn Alexander Mandel, and their children continue that legacy with the largest donation ever to the City of Laredo.

“Max was a wonderful person who had a deep love affair with Los Dos Laredos, Mexico, the Rio Grande and all of the wonderful culture and people of Los Dos Laredos,” said Gary G. Jacobs, married to Jessie Mandel Jacobs, and a principal partner in this project.

“Max was a visionary who could see Laredo and Nuevo Laredo only getting strong and better over time. When Tom Herring came to Max with a vision to build the Border’s first 4-star hotel, he was 100% supportive.

When the maquila industry legislation was first passed in the 60’s, Max was first on board for Laredo and Nuevo Laredo.

“When he passed away, Roslyn and the family wanted to do something for all Laredoans that would be a fitting tribute to Max. He loved the farm we call ‘Las Islitas’ and we thought this would a project of which he would be proud of and happy for his beloved Laredo.

We are pleased that eh Laredo City Council accepted the gift and is building a world class golf course on the river, rather than walls and fences. Max is smiling,” concluded Jacobs.

City leaders hope to develop a course that will attract not only locals to want to come and learn the game in an informal atmosphere, but also, from golf enthusiasts who look for a challenging, charming and aesthetically pleasing course.

The total cost of the project will be $6.6 million; including $5.6 million in Certificate of Obligation bonds, plus the generous donation of land, water and cash, which will help cover the cost of design and construction.

“Involvement in the creation of successful public golf ventures holds special significance within our organization,” said Mark Voss, Senior Project Architect at RTJ II.

It is not every day that a project like this comes along. We initially identified this project five years ago as a meaningful opportunity for increasing access to high quality golf in this region, both nationally and internationally.

This property is truly amazing and it is a privilege to assist the City of Laredo in creating a golf experience that we believe will be a source of great pride for the residents of Laredo,” Voss concluded.

Roger Creery, Executive Director of the Laredo Development Foundation, agrees.

“I believe this is a landmark project for Laredo. It touches several aspects of our community from recreation and leisure, job creation, and, adding an additional quality of life component that many outside business prospects look for when deciding where they want to bring their companies.

I applaud the Mandel Family and thank them for their generous donation and continued commitment to our community. I also thank the leadership of Laredo for helping turn this concept into reality,” he added.

Of course, before the historic groundbreaking event took place, local golfers, golf pros, golf coaches and students, and the public in general were able to meet with the designer and others involved in the golf course construction so that they could give input about the features they would like to see incorporated into their municipal golf course.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
A couple of pics of Donnafugata, the Gary Player course in Sicily which Adam mentioned above, named The Parkland Course

There is another course at the resort called The Links Course and was designed by Franco Piras.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back