News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Sunrise at the Driftwood Inn, Bailey Island, Harspwell

Mike Sweeney came up to Maine for a very quick hit last week. We began on Friday by meeting up with a couple of lurkers at The Links at Poland Springs, which is located in the foothills not too far from Portland, and therefore not a links. This misnomer would be just about the only fault that Sweeney would find all day. We began the afternoon by enjoying some homemade lobster rolls at a picnic table right next to the putting and lawn bowling green.

Poland Springs began with an Arthur Fenn nine in 1896 that was completely redone and expanded by Donald Ross in 1912. At 6,127 yards this course is not exactly going to club you over the head. However, the course is spread out entirely upon a north-facing slope heading down to Range Pond, so the benched-in greens are just about impossible to read. Even the professional in our group was scratching his head at putts that seemingly broke uphill.

The false back on the excellent first green.

As we were walking down the fourth fairway, Sweeney could no longer contain himself and blurted out "People talk about the way golf should be, but this is it right here. Great conditions at a low price, you walk the course, good pace of play, and a natural layout with some quirk." Or words to that effect. I could not agree more.

On the fourth tee you feel like you can reach out and stick your hand into Range Pond.

The dead-simple 305-yard fifth hole, pictured below, was where I first understood angles and the line of charm after reading some golfclubatlas.com posts way back when. Everything slopes from right to left, and the visual attraction to the left rough is especially dramatic. Everybody hits it over there, from where you have the shot pictured above, and many have hit that flyer off the hook lie into oblivion.

The non-returning routing does get a bit "stuck" at the bottom of the hill, but this is alleviated by the fact that in the midst of this begins a sequence of four consecutive half-pars - the 315 yard downhill tenth, 471 yards back up the hill, 297 yards and 238 yards. Eleven and twelve have two of the steepest and most interesting greens on the course.

The wholly unpretentious tenth green

The back nine winds up with another, smaller dispy-doo downhill and back up. From the high spots on these holes, you can see well into New Hampshire.

On the ride to dinner, I opened my mouth to ask Sweeney about his favorite hole on the course. But it's not that kind of place.

We arrived at Holbrook's Lobster Wharf and Grille a bit before sunset. A strange name indeed for a lobster shack located at the end of the line on a working dock in Cundy's Harbor. This restaurant could hardly be more charming and the food was delicious.

We drove through the gloaming to the Driftwood Inn, also located at the end of the line, on Bailey Island. I will just say that this is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have ever stayed and I recommend it very highly. Sweeney and I drank a few pops and observed a shooting star while chatting on the oceanfront porch.

The next morning we teed off at the Brunswick Golf Club, which has a back nine by Wayne Stiles. As the expression goes around here, the holes lay gently on the land, and they are very well crafted and attractive. Sweeney made numerous comments concerning the lack of acclaim accorded Stiles.

The tenth green

The seventeenth green

It's a great big lobster shack world out there, and we wrapped things up at the Portland Lobster Company, which being located on bustling Commercial Street and featuring live music, was in direct opposition to the previous night's restaurant. Yet, this shack too was overflowing with charm and good food.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Sean_A

"As we were walking down the fourth fairway, Sweeney could no longer contain himself and blurted out "People talk about the way golf should be, but this is it right here. Great conditions at a low price, you walk the course, good pace of play, and a natural layout with some quirk." Or words to that effect. I could not agree more."

I'm sold on the above.  Thanks for the report.  Its wonderful to read about the other side of golf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mike Sweeney

Mike Sweeney came up to Maine for a very quick hit last week.

Mr Moore,

Clearly my wife and you have a difference of opinion on a quick hit.  ;)

Next time I will bring my wife for the lovely accommodations on the Maine waterfront:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:46:31 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Mike Sweeney

The next morning we teed off at the Brunswick Golf Club, which has a back nine by Wayne Stiles. As the expression goes around here, the holes lay gently on the land, and they are very well crafted and attractive. Sweeney made numerous comments concerning the lack of acclaim accorded Stiles.

Mr Moore,

I realize that corporate policy at Green Light Special prevent you from commenting on the other 9 at Brunswick, but fortunately some of us in the lower 47 can still have "frank commentary" about golf architecture.

Other pictures from the wonderful Stiles nine at Brunswick:

And now we move to the front (which was our back 9 that day). Cornish had some decent stuff out there, but it just didn't fit:

Has now replaced the 13th at Yale as the most obvious place in the world to NOT place a cartpath despite the distraction of the nice finish by Maine Amateur almost runner-up.

And the grand finish at Del Boca Brunswick

I have now played two New England courses this summer, Stiles one nine and Cornish the other 9 expansion from 9 to 18 holes. I know Geoffrey Cornish was a nice guy but Stiles did not have a big budget either. Talent matters and the disparity of the nines at Brunswick in Maine and the huge disparity of the nines at Waconah in Massachusetts are striking.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:49:13 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Tom MacWood

Wow...that is some beautiful scenery and interesting golf courses.

Sean Leary

Mike,

Any idea where the original clubhouse was at Brunswick? I played a lot of golf there in college and we used to play 9 holes after class a lot. We always played the Stiles 9 as it clearly is better.

Bill_McBride

This mowing pattern really could stand to be changed.  If the rough line was at the left edge of the green, shots slightly pulled would cause a lot more heartburn!  The way this is mowed, some of those shots might hang up in the rough.   >:(

Anthony Fowler

Thanks for the pictures.  Poland Springs looks beautiful.  I'll have to add it to my list of New England courses to see soon.

Do either of you have any advice on playing the 9th hole at Brunswick?  I once tried to weave my second shot through a gap in the trees to get on in two, but it didn't pay off.  Bowdoin College hosted a tournament there every year and I was usually doing well to make 6 (hence the reason for my risk-taking: low opportunity cost).  I agree that the current back nine is vastly superior to the front.

Sean Leary

Thanks for the pictures.  Poland Springs looks beautiful.  I'll have to add it to my list of New England courses to see soon.

Do either of you have any advice on playing the 9th hole at Brunswick?  I once tried to weave my second shot through a gap in the trees to get on in two, but it didn't pay off.  Bowdoin College hosted a tournament there every year and I was usually doing well to make 6 (hence the reason for my risk-taking: low opportunity cost).  I agree that the current back nine is vastly superior to the front.

I haven't played it post proV1 but the only way back in early 90's to get there in 2 was to hit your drive lone and REALLY left close to OB, then try to go up and over the trees. I think I pulled it off once.

What years did you play there in college? I was at Bowdoin 90-94...

Anthony Fowler

Hi Sean,

Those tournaments were recent for me.  2005-2007.  I don't think you could get it over those trees now, even from the left rough, but I could be wrong.  I also remember that the left side of the fairway was very firm and there was nothing to keep a slight miss from going OB.  It was not a very fun hole to play in tournament competition, particularly if you hadn't played a practice round.

I did enjoy many of the other holes.  The back has a completely different feel, which is a welcome change after playing 9.  I really liked number 17, which creates a fun risk-reward opportunity in a tournament, and the green is really fun/challenging.

Did you have any favorite holes or memories from all your rounds out there?   

Michael Moore

Please tell me you are talking about the tees at 476 yards. My case of Fowleritis is bad enough without hearing about three woods going 290 yards over trees and fountains.

There is a way back tee at 601 yards. I ripped my best drive of the day, then six iron, then wedge, then two putts. A nice way to end the day, as the hole is quite challenging from back there.

For Joe Six Pack, Mary Jane Wineglass, and Mike Sweeney, at 476 this hole is a bit awkward. The latter hit a great drive right into no-mans land and then had to go wedge-wedge, which is always unsatisfying.

I can imagine college kids having a good time trying to get one up and over the corner.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Sean Leary

Please tell me you are talking about the tees at 476 yards. My case of Fowleritis is bad enough without hearing about three woods going 290 yards over trees and fountains.

There is a way back tee at 601 yards. I ripped my best drive of the day, then six iron, then wedge, then two putts. A nice way to end the day, as the hole is quite challenging from back there.

For Joe Six Pack, Mary Jane Wineglass, and Mike Sweeney, at 476 this hole is a bit awkward. The latter hit a great drive right into no-mans land and then had to go wedge-wedge, which is always unsatisfying.

I can imagine college kids having a good time trying to get one up and over the corner.

It definitely wasn't 601. 476 sounds right, but has been a long time, I was hitting persimmon back then....and I sucked, so that must have been the tee.

Steve Kline

This mowing pattern really could stand to be changed.  If the rough line was at the left edge of the green, shots slightly pulled would cause a lot more heartburn!  The way this is mowed, some of those shots might hang up in the rough.   >:(

I like that idea Bill and the same could be done on the right side by keeping the rough out toward the bunker instead of bringing into the green.

Mike Sweeney

By the way, here is Mr Moore standing in front of Poland Spring!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back