News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Re: Garden City GC: 1913 hole diagrams courtesy of the Daily Eagle
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 07:50:33 PM »
Do any photos exist of the sand mounds from this time?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »
RSLivingston,

There are photos, circa 1936, that show sand mounds, such as the spine dune that runs down the 1st fairway

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Mr. Mucci, where might one find these photos?

In the last article posted, near the end of the first column, there is a comment about a bunker "of the difficult Garden City variety". Was there/is there a special type of bunker there?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
Mr. Mucci, where might one find these photos?

In the last article posted, near the end of the first column, there is a comment about a bunker "of the difficult Garden City variety". Was there/is there a special type of bunker there?

RS,

The club has a variety of photos of bunkers

There are photos of bunkers with sleepers abruptly supporting the front of the bunker.
The sleepers are at about q 90 degree angle

There are photos of concave and convex bunkers

Deep bunkers and sand mounds.

A walk through the clubhouse is akin to time travel, architecturally..

In many cases, former bunkers, or mounds of sand are now grass.

I'd love to see them returned to sand.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
Joe - Has there been any mention of Peter W. Lees who was credited in his obit in 1923 as being a "noted golf architect of Garden City CC".  Did you see my reply on the other GCCC thread ?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
Willie, I'm still looking for more Peter Lees references.  This is the latest I have, from the April 22, 1918 NY Evening Post:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Bausch

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
This Dec 20, 1917 article from the Daily Eagle also mentions Lees at GCGC, but gives no specific information as to what he did.

TEPaul

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 12:00:55 PM »
Joe:

When that last article mentioned Lees did something at Bernardsville I guess that means Somerset Hills. Not that it's a big deal but I wonder if the club knows that?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 12:56:57 PM »
Joe:

When that last article mentioned Lees did something at Bernardsville I guess that means Somerset Hills. Not that it's a big deal but I wonder if the club knows that?

Good question Tom.  I don't know.  But I'm guessing somebody here, maybe Phil Young, might know something more about Lees and SH since that is an AWT course.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
Joe & Tom - I'm taking words from Mel's notes here, and he is out of the country so I wonder if I'm out of place here.  But "We pick up Lees next activity during the re-construction of Essex County CC, NJ, original East Course in 1916 with A.W. Tillinghast.  It can be concluded that Tillinghast favored Lees, for in 1917, Lees is brought in to the Hermitage, VA, for his construction expertise.  Lees was responsible for the earthmoving and green construction."

DMoriarty

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »
According to the NY Times (August 14, 1916), Lees was also involved at Quaker Ridge in 1916 when the links were being "enlarged."   Reportedly. the links were being "constructed under the supervision of George Low of Baltusrol, Peter Lees, and A.W. Tillinghast."

The Sun (Dec. 8, 1917) reported that Lees was severing ties with the Lido after four years,  and also mentioned this about his other work:

When A.W. Tillinghast laid out the new course at Essex Country Club, Lees was called in to superintend much of the construction work and the way he developed the greens in five weeks time won the admiration of officials.  He also did work at Bernardsville, another Tillinghast course, and last fall his services in an advisory capacity were sought by the Garden City Golf Club.  

On April 22, 1918, the NY Evening Post reported that GCGC was in fine condition but that the club did not plan on having any tournaments during the war.  The article noted . . .

Because of existing conditions, nothing new or radical will be attempted, but the course has been in existence for so long and the turf so well adapted for the purposes, that little labor is required in the upkeep.  Practically no changes are noticed even though Frank Bellwood, the club's professional has entered the service. Peter Lees is keeping a general eye on things, while in the shop William Moon, Bellwood's assistant, has taken charge on that end.  Incidentally, all business in the professional's shop is being placed to Bellwood's account.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:45:24 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:50 PM »
I've always championed a restoration to 1936 due to all of the photos circa 1936 and the significance of that date in GCGC history.

One thing appears clear from these and other articles.

Clubs tampered with their courses more than we previously thought.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »
I've always championed a restoration to 1936 due to all of the photos circa 1936 and the significance of that date in GCGC history.

One thing appears clear from these and other articles.

Clubs tampered with their courses more than we previously thought.

Patrick, is the first hole still as cool as the 1928 drawing?  That is a great design.  What is the carry to the right fairway from the member tee?

Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back