News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Chart Hills - Smyers comes to Kent
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:10:33 AM »
I played Chart Hills recently, an early-1990s Steve Smyer course near Headcorn in Kent (about an hour SE of London, about halfway from the big smoke to Deal or Sandwich).

It's a very good, fun golf course with lots of decisions to be made on almost every hole. It has somewhere in the region of 130 bunkers (the largest of which is nicknamed The Anaconda - it snakes more than 200 yards up the right of the 5th fairway, before crossing over, as you can see in the areial of the routing). But for the most part they are part of some great strategy.

The sand is overpowering on a few holes - the short par four 9th and par five 16th particularly, where you can hardly see a spare square inch to hit your ball that isn't a bunker. But in both instances there is ample room out there, but the landing areas are hidden from view.

The par fives particularly were a case of having to plan every shot as you plotted your course to the green.

Despite the extensive use of sand, the movement of the land is a real feature of a number of holes, as hopefully my pictures will show, creating dead ground at the 1st that foreshortens the second shot in your eye and makes it seem reachable in two, or at the driveable 6th, where the fairway bunker creates a horizon behind which the green is hidden.

Elsewhere, left of the 1st green, short of the 8th green, behind the 10th green, short and left of the 12th green are great closely mown runoffs that provide a great alternative to sand as punishment for a poorly planned or executed shot.

The greens are generally quite sedate and slope naturally with the surrounding land. I think that helped greatly to feel that the holes were by-and-large draped ovver the land - though I am sure ample earthmoving was done, it seems to have been done smartly, with long landforms that run across several holes rather than short, choppy mounds that are obviously fake.

Chart Hills is a lot of fun to play, and with green fee deals under £50 available, it's currently very good value. I would recommend it to anyone. Fair play to the foreign visitor who come all this way to play heathland and links golf - I can appreciate why so few schedule a game at Chart Hills. But it is a very, very good course in its own right.

Last time around Golf World had it around #80 in GB&I (down from mid-70s the time before). That seems about right to me.

Routing

Approach to the par five 1st - see how the land adds some character, with a drop-off at the left of the green adding some interest to the approach.

The reward for a drive that hugs the creek at the inside (left) of the dogleg on the 2nd is this view up to the green, with the ground helping you run a ball in from the safe left-hand side.

The Redan-inspired par three 3rd from above, with a strong slope short to kick the ball on and a green that slopes strongly front to back, with the fall of the surrounding land.

The par four 4th, like the 2nd, rewards a drive to the left, setting up this uphill approach.

Sand dominates the par five 5th, with the safe second shot played out to the right, setting up a straightforward pitch.

The 6th is one of the best short par fours I have ever played. Lots of options, punishment if you go for broke and miss right, a tough recovery if you go for it and miss left and a great deal of unknown hidden behind that bunker. You're looking at 295/280/265yds depending on the tee you choose, but all the land after the bunker feeds to the green, so even golfers who don't usually drive it those distances will feel they have a chance.

Par three 7th. A bit of a bland one, along with the 11th. The Redan 3rd and island green 17th were far more excviting.

The approach to the bunkerless par four 8th. Anything short will come back towards you down that slope and there is a similar slope behind the green to feed the ball away.

The short 9th is about 305yds uphill with a huge amount of sand dominating the hole. So much that any temptation to have a dig is quashed, really, but a unique hole nonetheless.

The 10th has some great undulations in the land as it doglegs left, setting up this approach to a green with some Redan characteristics, guarded short by the bunker you can see and behind by a feeding area you can't, that will run you long leaving a delicate chip back up the hill.

Par three 11th, slight false front adds some interest, but still a bit "bleh" in my mind.

The approach to the par five 12th, which plays downhill and is eachable for bigger hitters, but the have to fly a creek about 50yds short of the green and split the bunkers right and strong downslope to the left.

The par four 13th felt a bit forced, doglegging hard left around two other holes (a creek and thick scrub deter you from cutting the corner and playing across those holes), but the approach had some good interest.

The short par four 14th.

The approach to the par four 15th, with some nice blindness, the green fed by the strong slope on the left. Just lots of fun all-round.

The 16th plays long uphill threaded through a sea of sand with blind landing areas, culminating in this green, which cascades down the hill in three tiers. Pictured is Tony Muldoon, who as I took the shot was turning to say "isn't this a fantastic green?!"

Island green 17th. Love them or hate them, I have to say at five-under-handicap after 16 holes it gives you a feeling in your stomach that few other holes can match. Only plays 145yds from the back or 130-odd from the middle tee, so not an unfairly long shot for an island green. I liked it.

The mid-length par four 18th asks you to huge the left to get an unobscured view of the green for your approach.

Craig Van Egmond

Re: Chart Hills - Smyers comes to Kent
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »

You mean Nick Faldo didn't design this course?  Noooo....  ;)

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »
I've actually just discovered while trawling his website that Steve Smyers also designed a childhood favourite of mine, Cypress Lakes in the NSW Hunter Valley (a wine region).

Thinking back to it, they do seem to have some similarities that would identify them as being from the same stable.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:28:58 PM »
Thanks Scott - great routing map and scale to go with those pics.  How far from London - Rye - RSG/RCP?

JNC Lyon

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
It looks like there is some cool stuff going on there, Scott, minus the island green of course.  However, do think it is safe to say Smyer is a "maximumist"?  It looks like he uses bunkers as a crutch.  There are other way to define strategies in golf.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
Jason - from Rye very close, not much more than ten miles, I'd say. From Deal/Sandwich a bit further, perhaps forty miles or so.

I do think Chart Hills is very good. Scott's right that the sixth is superb, and I liked the par three seventh more than he did - Scott, did you take a look from the back tees across the pond? The angle is much more interesting from there. It is of its time - some of the mounding is more aggressive than would be in favour nowadays - and the bunkering is over the top from my perspective. They are removing quite a few bunkers at the moment - I understand why, apparently their crew is a lot smaller than it was ten years ago.

I don't think I'd pass up on a round at Rye, Deal or Sandwich to play Chart Hills again, but equally I can't think of that many modern inland courses in UK I'd choose over it.

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
Scott,
To reiterate what Craig said, it was a co-design. This quote is from Smyer's website.
This private golf club [Chart Hills] is a collaboration with Nick Faldo Design and Steve Smyers Golf Course Architects."

I played it in 1997 and my opening drive ended up between the two plaques at the dogleg of #1. Is Faldo's snooker table still there?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »
The only Smyers course I have played is Wolf Run in Indiana.  Looks like extensive bunkering is a theme.  I really liked Wolf Run, though (bloody difficult as it was) and Chart Hills looks like it could be fun from these pics.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
On paper, yes it is a Smyers/Faldo co-design. Just as Riffa Views in Bahrain was a collaboration between EGD's Robin Hiseman and Colin Montgomery, or Carton House in Ireland was done by an EGD designer and Monty, etc...

In reality, I question how much the Tour designer does, especially a Tour designer who is still in the prime of his career as Faldo was in the first couple of years of the 1990s when Chart Hills was being conceived and realised. I realise Smyers is contractually obliged to acknowledge Faldo as a designer, but I just think I may as well credit the bloke who did the work!

Too often they get forgotten behind the impressive signature who turns up for a mid-construction photo shoot then comes back to hit the opening drive (and yes, Faldo's balls are still in the first fairway, so to speak!).

I may be wrong about Faldo's level of involvement at Chart Hills, but I am informed that I am not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 03:43:43 PM by Scott Warren »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

Whatever Faldo's involvement, I'm sure it was more than any involvement that Fred Couples has had in any of the 25+ courses he has "designed".   ;D :P

Frank Pont

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
I was a member at Chart Hills during my banking days in London. Interestingly enough I got bored playing the course and therefore quit the place after a year and a half.

The funny thing is that the question why I had gotten bored at this course and never at the Colt courses in the Netherlands (Eindhoven, Pan, Kennemer) got me interested in golf course architecture and after a few years got me into this industry. So I do owe a debt to Chart Hills.....

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 10:08:34 AM »
And did you ever work out what it was specifically that you got bored of, Frank?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:13 AM »
Southern Dunes, south of Orlando, is a GCA.com favorite designed by Steve Smyers and is well worth a visit to play.  There are a bunch of fun holes with strategic options, most created by interesting bunkers.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »
Thanks for the photo tour Scott.

I've played three Smyers' courses - the aforementioned Southern Dunes in Florida, Heartland Crossing (a housing development course outside Indianapolis), and Blue Heron Pines (NLE) in New Jersey. All three were fun courses that made you think and offered options. INterestingly, all three were pretty firm when I played them.

The only Smyers course in my area is Four Streams, a pretty exclusive golf-only club in Maryland.

Tim

Paul_Turner

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
I played it about 15 years ago and I'm sure it's mainly Smyers, the similarities with Royce Brook and Southern Dunes is obvious. 

I can usually remember courses well, but this course is a bit of a blur.  Perhaps the 10th was best.  Didn't think much of the 17th though Scott!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 06:17:18 AM »
Bella Collina just outside Orlando, is another "Nick Faldo" course where Steve Smyers did the design.  I talked to a guy in the shop who had been on site since the grow in and he stated that Nick had been on property twice: once during pre-construction and opening day.   

I would imagine (unfortunately) that this is the norm for player architects.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:32 AM »
Ben,

Thanks for adding that.

I was re-reading an edition of Golf World magazine from earlier in the summer and came across an interview with Colin Montgomerie where he said he wouldn't play senior tour golf and that one of his intentions post-retirement from competitive golf was to "get my adrenaline rushes by becoming more involved in my course designs".

Fair play to him for basically admitting his involvement now is extremely limited.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 06:33:34 AM »
Faldo used to come across in his Golf World columns as being particularly hands on when it came to his course design work.  I remember there was a lot about what he'd done at Lough Erne.

To be fair these articles would post date his active playing career so maybe he's more hands on now than he was at Chart Hills?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 06:41:20 AM »
That was what was suggested to me the other day, Andrew. That Faldo as of now is genuinely hands-on with his courses, such as Lough Erne and Amendoeira, but that his earlier "designs" were little more than a signature.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
Re - player architects, each and every one is different but I generally distinguish them by whether they own their own golf design firm with actual design employees...

Jack Nicklaus does... Nick Faldo does... Colin Montgomerie, Darren Clarke and most others that have been employed hand in hand with an actual design firm do not...

Very simplistic I realise but a decent guide...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back