News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

(Looks like) 2017 PGA going to Quail Hollow - Charlotte
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:35:07 PM »
A friend told me they are announcing it tomorrow.  He's credible so I'll go ahead and post this.

PCCraig

Re: (Looks like) 2017 PGA going to Quail Hollow - Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
As I said in the other thread...a very "blah" choice.
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:39:55 PM »
A friend told me they are announcing it tomorrow.  He's credible so I'll go ahead and post this.

Blah or not -- GCA BBQ @ JC Jones' house!!

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
As I said in the other thread...a very "blah" choice.

REALLY?! I think that itll be great to see how the course plays in the summer compared to the ryegrass on spring. Plus, the pros love the course. Looking forward to it!
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
I'm also thinking this will be a blast!  Some great holes, and some good risk/reward.  Love seeing the guys go for #14, and #17 is just a really tough golf shot with their fast greens.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
Crap - I'll be 57!

Carl Johnson

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:18 PM »
Crap - I'll be 57!
How about 75, if I make it that far.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »

Blah or not -- GCA BBQ @ JC Jones' house!!

Consider yourself and everyone else invited.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
I'll be there sporting a Glen Rice jersey and a case of Stroh's, that's what you guy's drink, right?.... 8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
I'll be there sporting a Glen Rice jersey and a case of Stroh's, that's what you guy's drink, right?.... 8)

We ain't high brow like you hippies in AA.  We go with Natural Light.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 09:10:12 PM »
JC, if Eric is coming I'll be there!  Plus, I love Natty Light!   ;D

Eric Smith

IT'S OFFICIAL: 2017 PGA going to Quail Hollow - Charlotte
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »
"It is with great pleasure that we bring the PGA Championship back to North Carolina, and to make our first visit to Quail Hollow Club, a venue and a community that has demonstrated its skill in hosting premier golf," PGA of America President Jim Remy said in a statement.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
Wouldn't Charlotte Country Club be a better choice?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 10:38:14 AM »

The course might be, but I'm not sure Charlotte has the required ancillary space, and in any case I seriously doubt that their leadership and membership would have any interest in a major.  High level amateur tournaments, yes, but pro events, no.  (I am not a member, but count quite a few among my friends.)

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »

I have not played the course but I did walk it during the Womens Am and not only will I echo the facilities and infrastructure comments of Carl (i dont see how they could handle the vilume of spectators, they had to run shuttles from 5 miles away for the few hundred spectators for the Womens Am) but I will also say that although the course is very good and interesting from an architectural stand point, it didn't appear to me that it could be made hard enough for something like the PGA.

It is, however, a beautiful course and a beautiful place and I hope they choose to have and can have more AM events in the future.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »

. . . I will also say that although the course is very good and interesting from an architectural stand point, it didn't appear to me that it could be made hard enough for something like the PGA. . . .

JC, I'm no expert, but my thinking is that it could be made "hard" enough, playing at its full length, with tighter fairways, and with difficult pin placements.  Would it also be fair and make for an interesting tournament?  I don't know enough to go that far.  Still, high profile amateur events are probably their best bet, including the Walker and Curtis Cups.  A little off the subject, but, by the way, did you have the sense that more people should have/could have attended the recent Women's Am at Charlotte, if the event, and that it was all free, had been better publicized?   

John Shimp

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
On CCC, i agree infrastructure would be very hard there.  No idea if the club would have interest in a professional major if they didn't have the space constraint.  I do think the course is easily hard enough to host a major.  It can be stretched to 7500 yds and to Carl's point the fairways don't have to be (and the PGA wouldn't allow) 60 yds wide.   

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 05:23:54 PM »
The interesting question to me is who will jhost the "Wachovia/Wells Fargo " event while Quail gets ready for the PGA. At the press conference, they mentioned Pinehurst #2, which will have just hosted both the Open's in 2014. Pinehurst is at least 90 minutes from Charlotte.  SO, Charlotte CC?
                      Carolina GC?

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »

. . . I will also say that although the course is very good and interesting from an architectural stand point, it didn't appear to me that it could be made hard enough for something like the PGA. . . .

JC, I'm no expert, but my thinking is that it could be made "hard" enough, playing at its full length, with tighter fairways, and with difficult pin placements.  Would it also be fair and make for an interesting tournament?  I don't know enough to go that far.  Still, high profile amateur events are probably their best bet, including the Walker and Curtis Cups.  A little off the subject, but, by the way, did you have the sense that more people should have/could have attended the recent Women's Am at Charlotte, if the event, and that it was all free, had been better publicized?   

Carl,

You certainly know the course better than I so I will defer to your judgment on difficulty.

I arrived in Charlotte on July 28 so I wasn't capable of much marketing exposure.  I will say, however, that I did not learn about the event from any Charlotte based media.  I learned about it from GCA.com and/or Ed Oden (I forget which came first).

JC Jones

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 05:45:42 PM »
The interesting question to me is who will jhost the "Wachovia/Wells Fargo " event while Quail gets ready for the PGA. At the press conference, they mentioned Pinehurst #2, which will have just hosted both the Open's in 2014. Pinehurst is at least 90 minutes from Charlotte.  SO, Charlotte CC?
                      Carolina GC?

Is TPC Piper Glen currently hosting anything?

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »
                      Carolina GC?

Is TPC Piper Glen currently hosting anything?

Good point, I forgot about it. They obviously hosted the Champions Tour for awhile when The Kemper Open left Charlotte originally. I have never played Piper Glen. (I'm not soliciting, I know somebody actually). Just never played it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
The interesting question to me is who will jhost the "Wachovia/Wells Fargo " event while Quail gets ready for the PGA. At the press conference, they mentioned Pinehurst #2, which will have just hosted both the Open's in 2014. Pinehurst is at least 90 minutes from Charlotte.

SO, Charlotte CC?

My opinion, above, is that CCC would not see anything to be gained from hosting the Wachovia, Quail, Wells event.  And, they'd have a tough time with with all of the ancillary needs.  

Carolina GC?

Not.  This is a members' course (of which I am one).  Even if everything else worked, it was never designed to handle spectators.

Piper Glen: They've held a seniors/champions tour event there in the past, but it's a subdivision course, and a poor course for spectators.  If I had to pick another course in Charlotte would be a realistic possibility for the Wachovia/Quail/Wells one year it would be Carmel's south course. http://www.carmelcountryclub.org/ Keep in mind that the south course is completing a renovation, and I going on the basis of what it was (USGA Women's Junior a couple of years ago), how I think the members would react, and logistical possibilities (of which I am the least sure about).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:13:03 PM by Carl Johnson »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
The interesting question to me is who will jhost the "Wachovia/Wells Fargo " event while Quail gets ready for the PGA. At the press conference, they mentioned Pinehurst #2, which will have just hosted both the Open's in 2014. Pinehurst is at least 90 minutes from Charlotte.

SO, Charlotte CC?

My opinion, above, is that CCC would not see anything to be gained from hosting the Wachovia, Quail, Wells event.  

Carolina GC?

This is a members' course.  Even if everything else worked, it could not handle spectators.

Piper Glen: They've held a seniors/champions tour event there in the past, but it's a subdivision course, and a poor course for spectators.

I think Carolina would be a great venue. Sort of a Fenway/Wrigley concept. Just think of the backdrop of downtown Charlotte to the course. It's, what, 2 miles to downtown? Spectators? Build a gate at the train tracks and "train" them in. No busses.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »

SO, Charlotte CC?

My opinion, above, is that CCC would not see anything to be gained from hosting the Wachovia, Quail, Wells event.  

Carolina GC?

This is a members' course.  Even if everything else worked, it could not handle spectators.

Piper Glen: They've held a seniors/champions tour event there in the past, but it's a subdivision course, and a poor course for spectators.

I think Carolina would be a great venue. Sort of a Fenway/Wrigley concept. Just think of the backdrop of downtown Charlotte to the course. It's, what, 2 miles to downtown? Spectators? Build a gate at the train tracks and "train" them in. No busses.

Nice dream, but still, no room for the spectators once they get there, or for tents, and so on.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
I know, I'm a dreamer.
I still dream the Cubs will win the series before I die (I'm 52)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back