News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Who ACTUALLY Designed National Golf Links of America?
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 01:46:43 AM »
As for that article, it was written before they had finished planning.  Travis was dropped from the process, but CB Macdonald credited H. J. Whigham and Devereux Emmett for aid in the initial purchase and in laying out the course, and also credited James Stilman and Joseph Knapp for help developing it.  And many others as well.

CBM wrote extensively about how the course came about (as did others) and CBM credited and acknowledged many of those who were involved in the process, whether through advice from afar or by work on the ground.  So it is not as if there is a huge mystery about how NGLA came about, and it is commonly known who was involved.  

But if there is something about the creation of NGLA that people do not understand, you should bring that information forward.   Surely there is room to learn more.  

From what I've read, it's hard to imagine that CBM would have ever shared the credit for NGLA with anyone!

May I ask what you have read which indicates CBM would never have shared credit for NGLA with anyone?

Because in Scotland's Gift he mentions specific contributions of a number of people from Raynor, to Hutchinson, to Low, to Charles Whigham, H.J. Whigham, etc.  In his booklet to the membership on the official opening he must thank 40 or 50 different people for their contributions to NGLA including Emmet, Whigham, Stillman, Knapp,  and a host of others.  

Here is what he wrote about Raynor's contribution:

I cannot speak too strongly of the work of Mr. Seth J. Raynor, civil engineer and surveyor, of Southampton. In the purchase of our property, in surveying the same, in his influence with the community on our behalf, and in every respect, his services have been of inestimable value, and I trust that the club will extend to him the courtesies of the clubhouse during his lifetime.

In Scotland's Gift the CBM's praise of Raynor was even greater.

So again, where did you read that CBM wouldn't credit anyone?  Surely you don't believe what you read from those who have been pissing on CBM's grave for years? 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:48:57 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »
"CBM wrote extensively about how the course came about (as did others) and CBM credited and acknowledged many of those who were involved in the process, whether through advice from afar or by work on the ground.  So it is not as if there is a huge mystery about how NGLA came about, and it is commonly known who was involved."

As did Merion write extensively about how Merion East came about (as did others) and Merion credited and acknowledged many of those who were involved in the process, whether through advice from afar or by work on the ground. So it is not as if there is a huge mystery about how Merion East came about, and it is commonly known who was involved----and that is why the architectural attribution for the course was always assigned as it has been.  

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:57:07 AM by TEPaul »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 01:58:30 AM »
Can anyone tell me exactly who designed/routed what at NGLA?  Curious about the same with the greens/green sites and hazards.  

Off topic, but related in theme: I'm interested in knowing what Ben Crenshaw does in the C&C courses.

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:26 AM »
Phil,
Why? = there would not be a NGLA without Macdonald. He found the land, assembled the men to purchase it, hired Raynor to survey it, was meticulous in laying out the holes to his 'ideal', and tinkered around with his plan during the entire construction process
I don't see how it can be a 'serious' question as CBM himself said that he was helped by others, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any part of NGLA that didn't have the fingerprints of CBM all over it.

Jim

By that reasoning the guy who developed Bandon (Keiser ? Kohler ?) should get the main design credit for all the courses there, no ?

I think Phil asking a paerfrctly reasonable question.

Niall

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
David,

AS you wrote, "CBM wrote extensively about how the course came about (as did others) and CBM credited and acknowledged many of those who were involved in the process, whether through advice from afar or by work on the ground.  So it is not as if there is a huge mystery about how NGLA came about, and it is commonly known who was involved..." are you then going to give Devereaux Emmet and Whigham EQUAL design credit for NGLA?

It simply seems to me that it is a consistent stand to giving CBM equal, or as some belive you are doing, more credit for the design of Merion.

Tom Macwood, you stated, "Phil, Did you sleep through the other threads on this subject?" and "In this case thankfully Wayne Morrison is not aware of HH Barker's final resting place." You simply can't keep from being arrogant and insulting despite my stating from the beginning that this was a serious question and asking that that type of garbage not be posted. Either stop doing so or stop posting because you show yourself to be a little man by doing so. If you want a question to answer, and as you place so much faith in CONTEMPORANEOUS newspaper accounts, then you MUST also agree that Emmet, Travis and Whigham should be given EQUAL design credit with CBM based upon this CONTEMPORANEOUS account.

Jim, you stated, "As you seem to keep on forgetting, CBM gives a lot of credit to Whigham, Hutchinson, Raynor, Payne, and others. Having said that, whose holes do you think Mortimer Payne, under Raynor's direction, placed onto the ground at NGLA, the committees?  I think your credibility as a 'historian' will go the way of Mike Cirba's (read his two replies   ) if you think that the outcome was not of Macdonald's making."

Jim, you obviously are simply not understanding my question. I am not asking what credit CBM gave, I am asking why those on golfclubatlas who believe full design credit should be given to others than those who have been historically credited with a design based upon much less SPECIFIC evidence than what is CLEARLY stated in this article are unwilling to do the same in the case of NGLA? For me it is a question of consistency of applied principles. How can Macwood be given serious consideration for his belief that Barker routed Merion because he did a drawing for someone who may or may not have even been involved in the process yet NOT give the three at NGLA full and equal credit to CBM for the lay out and design when even David above admits that they had involvement and the contemporaneous article clearly states it.

It is consistency of applied principles, e.g.- the weight one ascribes to the veracity of "proofs" offered for suppositions or theories that proves one to be a good historian. That is why I am NOT concerned about my own "credibility as a historian" as you put it... Also, you closed your statement by saying, "if you think that the outcome was not of Macdonald's making."

Please show me where I made any statement or even intimation as to who I believed designed, laid otu, routed or built NGLA> You can't because I didn't. You are taking a defensive attitude as if I've attacked something or someone where all I am trying to do is see a consistency in applied principles in course design attribution by those on the site.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
David,

So many times you have now said that you have been wrong in making disparaging comments but that you have done so in RESPONSE to what others have said about you. Not this time.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to have said, "So again, where did you read that CBM wouldn't credit anyone?  Surely you don't believe what you read from those who have been pissing on CBM's grave for years?"

You owe ME an apology for getting down in the gutter when you were directly asked NOT to! If you can't refrain from this type of nonsense then don't comment on this thread.

My question is a serious one that goes to the heart of how we today research and apply what we find. YOU of all people should realize its importance because of the very same type of nonsense comments that have been thrown at you.

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:29 AM »
"Surely you don't believe what you read from those who have been pissing on CBM's grave for years?"

Phil:

He owes more than just you an apology for saying that AGAIN! At this point, I believe he owes Ran Morrisset a sincere apology and probably everyone else on this website too!

By the way, Phil, I admire you for posting a thread on here with this one's subject. I think it is high time some on here begin to understand, realize and admit to engaging in what you seem to refer to as an inconsistency in historic principle when it comes to various architects' attributions!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:58:18 AM by TEPaul »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 10:54:16 AM »
Guys, I have said this many times:  We have to be careful not to give too much weight to these old newspapers.  A writer may not have gotten the facts right or not know anything about golf.  Phil, you give us a great example of why we have to be careful with these old sources.  As we know, things changed significantly after the publication of that article.

We also shouldn't place too much emphasis on any one particular word.  Maybe the person writing the piece used a word improperly or imprecisely.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jay Flemma

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »
Jim,

"Why? = there would not be a NGLA without Macdonald. He found the land, assembled the men to purchase it, hired Raynor to survey it, was meticulous in laying out the holes to his 'ideal', and tinkered around with his plan during the entire construction process
I don't see how it can be a 'serious' question as CBM himself said that he was helped by others, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any part of NGLA that didn't have the fingerprints of CBM all over it..."

If CBM was so "meticulous" in "laying out the holes to his idea" then WHY does it clearly state that, "The working committee to lay out the course will be CB Macdonald, Walter J.Travis, Devereaux Emmet and H.J. Whigham. The next five months will be devoted to planning the holes in detail..."

It seems quite clear that all four were involved in the design, layout and hole selection process...

Phil, that doesn't seem "clear" to me at all.  I think you place WAY too much weight on that.  It's not a legal document dividing profits...it's just the wheel turning a little bit more forward on the project...
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

DMoriarty

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 01:13:47 PM »
David,

AS you wrote, "CBM wrote extensively about how the course came about (as did others) and CBM credited and acknowledged many of those who were involved in the process, whether through advice from afar or by work on the ground.  So it is not as if there is a huge mystery about how NGLA came about, and it is commonly known who was involved..." are you then going to give Devereaux Emmet and Whigham EQUAL design credit for NGLA?

It simply seems to me that it is a consistent stand to giving CBM equal, or as some belive you are doing, more credit for the design of Merion.

Phil,
I have little interest in who these clubs credit.  Obviously that has more to do with the club's self image than anything that actually happened on the ground.  

My interest has always been in figuring out WHAT HAPPENED and how that fits into the bigger picture of the history of golf course design in America.   In this regard, I feel I have a pretty good handle on what happened at NGLA, and how NGLA fits into the bigger picture. Of course I may be wrong and can always learn more.

Do you have any new or novel information or analysis which may alter our understanding about WHAT HAPPENED at NGLA?  

If not, then I'm afraid I don't understand the point of this thread.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for you to have said, "So again, where did you read that CBM wouldn't credit anyone?  Surely you don't believe what you read from those who have been pissing on CBM's grave for years?"

There is every reason asked the questions I asked.   Bill made a comment that, from what I know, has absolutely no basis in reality:  That CBM would never have given credit to anyone but himself for NGLA.

So far as I know this is ridiculous.  But it is the impression that anyone reading this board over the past decade would come away with.  So obviously, we cannot have an honest conversation about who CBM was and what he did without addressing the bogus legends that some here have worked so hard to create.  

As you know, certain posters and past posters have long been maligning the man with all sorts of bogus stories and legends without providing any support whatsoever for their ceaseless character assassinations.  And as you know they used to openly write about how they literally pissed on CBM's grave and on Raynor's grave, as well.

Whether they actually did this or not, I don't know.  They now deny it.  But so far as I am concerned it doesn't matter. Either way, their little joke is an accurate reflection of the disrespect they have consistently shown for these men.   And it is their little joke, not mine.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 01:32:08 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 02:06:56 PM »

Phil,
I have little interest in who these clubs credit.  Obviously that has more to do with the club's self image than anything that actually happened on the ground.  

My interest has always been in figuring out WHAT HAPPENED and how that fits into the bigger picture of the history of golf course design in America.  

Synopsis. While Hugh I. Wilson is credited with designing the great Merion East course that opened in 1912, he did not plan the original layout or conceive of the holes. H.H. Barker first sketched out a routing the summer of 1910, but shortly thereafter Barker’s plans were largely modified or perhaps even completely replaced by the advice provided by the famous amateur golfers, C.B. Macdonald and H.J. Whigham who provided their written opinion of what could be done with the land. Richard Francis and H.G. Lloyd of Merion also contributed to the routing plan. - David Moriarty - "The Missing Faces of Merion"

David,

Which clubs would you say are not interested in accurately portraying what happened on the ground due to their self-image?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:18:01 PM by MCirba »

DMoriarty

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
 Can you not let the Merion thing go even for one thread?  

I never told Merion how they should credit their course.  They can credit TEPaul for all care.   If it were up to me (and it is not)  I would certainly credit Wilson as he is the one who was in charge of laying the course out on the ground and was the one responsible for the vast majority of the major changes which took place thereafter.  

If you guys weren't so hysterically defensive about protecting your legends at all costs you would have realized this years ago!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:19:29 PM by DMoriarty »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 02:19:31 PM »
Phil,

In order to be serious about the issue and question, one has to have first read "Scotland's Gift"

Without having read "Scotland's Gift" one cannot seriously address this issue/question.
There's an understanding, a progressive comprehension that comes with the read.

There's a flow to the book, topically, that leads one to the understanding of architectural concepts behind NGLA, the search for land suitable for those concepts and the surveying and construction that enabled the concepts to become reality.

A few years ago Tom MacWood initiated a similar thread

Mike Cirba

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 02:22:13 PM »
David,

What does Phil Young have to do with Merion?    He started this thread.

I'm not understanding your contention here and merely bringing up the fact that you seemed to be VERY interested in who got credit for what at Merion.   If you were interested in the minutest of details around Merion in terms of who got credit for what aspects, whether your thesis was accurate or not, why not the same for NGLA?

Aren't you interested to learn specifically what Travis might have done?   Emmet??   Whigham??

DMoriarty

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
Phil first injected Merion into this and I ignored it.   Then you did.

I've never been concerned with "credit,"  only with WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.  That you cannot comprehend that these are not the same thing doesn't surprise me. 

Drop the Merion crap.  It has nothing to do with this thread. 

TEPaul

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
"I've never been concerned with "credit,"  only with WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED."

David Moriarty:

Then why don't you just tell all of US WHAT you think ACTUALLY HAPPENED at NGLA during its routing, hole design and construction and who was responsible for what, even in detail?

THAT is exactly WHAT Tom MacWood asked on a thread about Merion that began in Feb 2003 entitled "Re: Macdonald and Merion?" That is what started this whole thing with you and MacWood over Merion and who was responsible for what in its origination. If you look at the first few posts of that thread back in 2003 I told MacWood that noone knows who did exactly what on any hole because that kind of thing was never recorded but tht the club's history says that in the main Hugh I. Wilson was responsible for the architecture of both courses. Well, he wouldn't accept that response and began to try to insert Macdonald/Whigam into it not even knowing the club acknowledged and thanked Macdonald and Whigam after their one day visit to Ardmore in 1910 before the land was even bought and designed on.

So, I see no reason why you'd have a problem answering Phil Young's questions in the same vein about NGLA. He's apparently interested in finding out why there shouldn't be some consistent principle or standard to any course this way with architectural attribution.  

But judging from your posts on this thread so far apparently you do have a problem with it and a problem with answering it.

That you don't, can't, won't or whatever sure doesn't surprise me and it apparently surprises few others on here either, at this point. In my opinion, you probably shouldn't even try because, at this point, we pretty much know you just can't, and you know we know you can't. And that's why we see your same old evasive, deflective and even gratuitously insulting posts on this thread too.

"Drop the Merion crap.  It has nothing to do with this thread."

It actually has everything to do with this thread! Phil wants to know why there is a double standard with some on this thread, certainly including you, regarding architect attribution at certain clubs. I'd like to know that too; so would a lot of people. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:20:40 PM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »
So far as I know CBM's described in detail what happened in Scotland's Gift, in the various articles he penned, and in his letters to the membership.   Other accounts (such as those by Whigham and Max Behr) largely confirm his account.

I've no interest or opinion on how it should be credited.

TEPaul

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »
"I've no interest or opinion on how it should be credited."

Understood. But are you interested in how its planning, routing, designing and construction ACTUALLY HAPPENED in detail and who amongst them was responsible for what of those various details? If not what is it exactly that you are interested in that ACTUALLY HAPPENED there?

DMoriarty

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
So far as I know CBM's described in detail what happened in Scotland's Gift, in the various articles he penned, and in his letters to the membership.   Other accounts (such as those by Whigham and Max Behr) largely confirm his account.

You should take a look if you are curious.

And if you've any verifiable information that any of that is inaccurate, then bring if forward.   Otherwise I've no idea what you are ranting about this time.

JC Jones

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
Phil,

Can I get my question answered?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

DMoriarty

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »
It has been my understanding that  Emmett surveyed the templates therefore it would  seem  he would have the  best idea of how they lay upon the ground

On what is your understanding based?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 05:38:14 PM »
JC,

My apologies as I simply missed your post in the back and forths. You asked:

"Let's say CBM and Emmett spend 2 days on the site of Course X together co-routing it.  Emmett then spends the next 2 years building it (including greens, green contours, bunkers, etc.).  Who should get lead credit?"

Emmet. In your illustration they both did equal things on those two days and then Emmet went beyond the routing and did the building which would include necessary "as-built" changes...

TEPaul

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 05:39:57 PM »
Phil:

Nice try, and I admire you for your effort but I told you that you'd never get Moriarty or MacWood to deal seriously with what you asked and intended to ask. I think it's too bad because it's definitely an important subject but they'll just continue to evade and deflect anyone on it in any way they can. Just look at Moriarty's posts today on this thread----they're no different than any other of his on this kind of subject---eg a total deflection and waste to time for anyone involved with them.

Nice try, Phil but I say just let it go.

And thanks again for letting them have it for their gratuitous insults!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
David,

You stated, "I've never been concerned with "credit,"  only with WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED.  That you cannot comprehend that these are not the same thing doesn't surprise me."

I'm sorry, but that makes two of us because they sure do the seem the same to me. In defining what "ACTUALLY HAPPENED" you are by definition giving CREDIT to those who ACTUALLY did the things you are talking about. If CBM laid out and routed Merion you are CREDITING him with the design. Based upon that, are you willing to give equal credit for the layout and design of NGLA to Emmet, Travis and Whigham since it is quite clear that it was a 4-person "committee" who were both given the responsibility for doing it and who planned to spend the 5 months following routing the course and picking out the holes?

TEPaul

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 05:45:24 PM »
"This is NOT a judgement on those theories/beliefs/ proposals/etc... What it is, is an attempt for consitency in what we recognize. The article is blatantly clear in stating that the four men EQUALLY (planning and designing the holes) took part in laying out the course."

Phil:

I would like to ask you a question about your statement above though. What article is it that mentioned that the four men on the NGLA committee EQUALLY took part in laying out the course? I read the article Mike Cirba posted but I did not notice that it said "equally."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back