News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

expect all, so can you advise what your preference are based upon using the following (as a guide only), so please feel free to add to the list

The reason I ask is to try and get a fell or perhaps convey back to the designers on this site what matters to golfers worldwide.

Type of Course            Links – Parkland – Heathland
Type of preferred mobility   Walking – Carry - Trolley - Carting
Fairways         Wide – Narrow – Undulating - Straight - Dogleg
Greens         Double – Large - Sloping – Fast - Slow – Blind Holes
Tees         Elevated 
Tee to Green Distance      Long – Short
Assisted Information      Caddie – Markers – Books – Electronic
Recommended Hazards      Bunkers, Large – Small – Pot - Shallow – Deep
                                                Bunkers on Fairway   
         Burns
         Walls
         Roads
         Ditches
         Vegetation (Trees Whin, Groom, Rough Grass)
         Lakes/ Ponds Protecting Greens
Preferred Weather Conditions   Dry – Sunny – Windy – Rain – Hot
Conditions of Fairways      Brown - Green - Well Manicured
Annoyances       Slow Play – Cart Tracks – Trees – Lakes – Noise - Fake

The list could nearly be never ending but it may give understand how we all feel about our game plus to try and  convey some feedback or inform to the designers re our preferences and opinions as to how we like our golf.

Are you Game for some interesting opinions?

Melvyn   

Mac Plumart

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:44:15 PM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John Moore II

expect all, so can you advise what your preference are based upon using the following (as a guide only), so please feel free to add to the list

The reason I ask is to try and get a fell or perhaps convey back to the designers on this site what matters to golfers worldwide.

Type of Course            Links – Parkland – Heathland

To be honest, I've only played one type of course and I probably haven't studied enough basics to know if it would classify as parkland or heathland. How would one classify Old Town or Pine Needles? That is the style of course I have played, and therefore, for now, the kind I prefer.

Type of preferred mobility   Walking – Carry - Trolley - Carting

Well, I prefer to walk, but not out of some thought that riding a cart tarnishes the legacy of the game or my inner spirit. I walk because I am generally too cheap to pay the cart fee. If the fee is included in the rate, I will ride, but if it is an additional cost and not mandated, I will walk at all times, no matter the weather.

Any and all of the above. Royal New Kent yesterday had 75 yard wide fairways and I still had trouble hitting them at times. Any of these can be good and any can be bad, just depends how the designer executed his ideas.

Greens         Double – Large - Sloping – Fast - Slow – Blind Holes

I've played one double green and it wasn't the type seen at St Andrews. This one was a slight shared green, but it had just a very narrow bottleneck connecting the two. But I like the idea of a double green. As an ideal, I like them sloping and fast. That way I have to really focus on my game. But any combination can be good as well. As far as blind holes, I wouldn't be a fan of Mike Strantz if I really disliked blind holes; his courses have them in abundance.

Tees         Elevated  

Well, you don't give many options here. Elevated tees are fine. At-grade tees are fine. As are run-way tees; run-way tees are actually pretty cool. In my simple opinion, the tee design, shape, etc., is one of the less important aspects of design. Placement is key to a good design, but the actual shape and such is not very important.

Tee to Green Distance      Long – Short

Well, this is a total function of the length of the golf course. If the course is long, tee to green distance will be long. I figure you mean green to tee distance. In that case, I really prefer short distances, though I understand that at times on harsh sites that is not always possible.

Assisted Information      Caddie – Markers – Books – Electronic

Well, I'm too cheap to pay for a caddy, I'm generally too cheap to even buy a yardage guide, and I am certainly too cheap to drop down $300+ to get a laser range finder or a SkyCaddie. I do use markers whenever possible however.

Bunkers on Fairway  
         Burns
         Walls
         Roads
         Ditches
         Lakes/ Ponds Protecting Greens

Any and all are fine. Although some of the combinations wouldn't work so well together all the time

For practice, I prefer dry and slightly overcast. For tournaments, I like cold, wind and rain. Those three conditions are a great equalizer for the field.

Any combination necessary to get firm/hard fairways and offer good lies.

Annoyances       Slow Play – Cart Tracks – Trees – Lakes – Noise - Fake

Well, noise doesn't bother me, my current home course is on an Air Force base and about 1/2 mile away from the flight line. Plus, I grew up in between two Marine Corps air stations. So, I actually enjoy playing with jets and helicopters roaring overhead. None of the rest really bother me in general except for slow play. I have no patience at all for slow play.

The list could nearly be never ending but it may give understand how we all feel about our game plus to try and  convey some feedback or inform to the designers re our preferences and opinions as to how we like our golf.

Are you Game for some interesting opinions?

Melvyn   

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:49:00 PM by John K. Moore »

Gary Slatter

I'll bite, just waiting to post some scores from a club event, and then off to Scotland for a few days.
Type of Course:  I've enjoyed them all and would include one of my favourites, "seaside" which doesn't fall into the links category and the sea doesn't have to be salty (and prefer it next to the course.

Mobility: I like to walk but also enjoy taking a cart at every opportunity. Dislike trolleys.

Fairways: I prefer a variety that fit the hole's design, prefer undulating, dislike fairways that look like you can land a small plane on them

Greens:  I prefer large greens on par threes, medium of par fours and fives, and small greens on short par fives

Tees:  Prefer a variety and on courses with many elevated tees I like them to go all directions (N-E-W-S), have enjoyed a few tees built fairway level

Tee to green distance: prefer short green to tee idstance, tee to fairway I like 100 yards

Assisted Information:  150 markers are enough

Hazards:  I like a variety (like the Old Course) and prefer bunkers in fairways, at least one side so the ball can roll into it, don't like whiskers or eyelashes on bunkers unless they have been there for 100 years

Burns, walls, roads, ditches: only if they are essential, and if the walls are older than the course

Vegetation:  as long as it suits the geography of the area (desert stuff in the desert)

Lakes and Ponds:  not a big fan, OK for a few holes. really dislike the Bay Hill and PGA West boulder edged lake look

Weather conditions:  any weather between 40 and 85 F preferred, hands don't function anymore below freezing

Conditions of Fairways:  I love them to change with the seasons, firm is good, dislike short bent fairways (in fact I dislike all bent fairways, waste of water)

Do you live in St Andrews?

Annoyances: fake lakes, flat fairways, people who prefer only one kind of course and can't see how good the work of others actually is

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Pat Burke

Not sure if this is the type of answer you're looking for, but here goes.
I love Kingston Heath, TOC, Cypress Point.  So, length isn't a big deal to me.
Variety of shots throughout the round, from the tees, in to the greens gets my attention.  This would include recovery shots.
Not a fan of water for water's sake, but natural burns, creeks and the like can create some great brain confusion!
Typically, I like tougher targets for shorter approaches, with some room for recovery on longer.  I am not opposed to the occasional "must" hit a good shot hole.  There should be some form of recovery, but I am a believer in the joy of a successful "heroic" shot.
Golf carts, yardages do not bother me, although they are an OPTION in my perfect world.  98% of golfers don't know exact yardages anyway (IMO).  Firm.dry, sanely paced greens, and no cart paths if at all possible. 

I like everything from Banks, Ross MacKenzie, to Dye and Doak greens, as long as they fit the shot values, so tough to categorize that for me

Melvyn Morrow

This is not a trick question, just a get to know what you like/dislike. Nor has it anything to do with anti-carts etc
Type of Course            Links
Type of preferred mobility   Walking - Trolley
Greens            Double – Large - Sloping – Fast - Slow – Blind Holes
Tees            Elevated 
Greens to Tees Distance      Short
Assisted Information      Caddie – Markers – Books – Electronic  None
Bunkers on Fairway   
            Burns
            Walls
            Roads
            Ditches
            Lakes/ Ponds Protecting Greens   NO
Annoyances          Slow Play – Cart Tracks – Trees – Lakes – Noise – Fake – YES ALL

Mac Plumart

Oh...I get it. 

I would answer "yes".  I like it all.  I love variety.

Annoyances...slow play and over using water as a hazard.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back