News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Hoak

Dooks Golf Club
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
I just returned from a trip to Ireland--and played one day at Dooks, a course I had never played, nor even heard of, previously.  It is a hidden gem.  What can anyone tell me about it?  They claim to be the oldest golf club in Ireland, but that may be a bit of hyperbole.  The course is excellent, and I understand that they have just bought a fairly large piece of adjoining land and are planning a renovation and expansion.

Bart Bradley

Re: Dooks Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
Jim:

I had a fun time with my son there 4 years ago.

Thought I'd post a couple pics of my trip to the Dooks

Bart

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »
I played Dook's in 2005. I remember the Nannerjack Toad (spelling?). Enjoyed the course, remember it being a bit rough around the edges. The story we were told was they had 9 holes and then 9 members got to design a hole individually for the other nine. Whether that is true or not?????

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 01:37:26 AM »
I find the logo to be compelling and have been there a few times. Howeve the greens were so bad I passed on playing it both times.  I am curious how it plays and more about the routing. cheers

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 05:03:54 AM »
I just returned from a trip to Ireland--and played one day at Dooks, a course I had never played, nor even heard of, previously.  It is a hidden gem.  What can anyone tell me about it?  They claim to be the oldest golf club in Ireland, but that may be a bit of hyperbole.  The course is excellent, and I understand that they have just bought a fairly large piece of adjoining land and are planning a renovation and expansion.

Jim, I think the Curragh might be the oldest golf club in Ireland. Dooks is one of the oldest, probably one of the first 10. It was 9 hole for a long time and expanded to 18 in the early 70's. Marc Westenborg of Hawtree's, who is in charge of the work at Cork, was in charge of the Dooks overhaul which was completed about 4 years ago.

I haven't heard about any recent land aquisition but I can find out.

ps I hope you enjoyed the rest of the trip to Ireland.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Jim Hoak

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:52:03 AM »
The course and the greens at Dooks were in good condition.  No complaints there.
I understand the land acquisition is very new--and they plan to build 4-5 new holes on it and rework some of the current course.  No idea of timing, etc.
Padraig, the Ireland trip was terrific as always.  I've been many times before.  We stayed in the Southwest and ended up at Cork Golf Club for a 3-day tournament.  Played several old favorites before the tournament.  I had not played Waterville since the Fazio rework--very nice.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
The course and the greens at Dooks were in good condition.  No complaints there.
I understand the land acquisition is very new--and they plan to build 4-5 new holes on it and rework some of the current course.  No idea of timing, etc.
Padraig, the Ireland trip was terrific as always.  I've been many times before.  We stayed in the Southwest and ended up at Cork Golf Club for a 3-day tournament.  Played several old favorites before the tournament.  I had not played Waterville since the Fazio rework--very nice.

Jim, I'm at Cork GC and was involved with the tournament. We were extremely happy with how it went.

There are a few members at Cork who are members in Dooks, so I'll ask them about the land acquisition. I didn't see any of them today but should see some during the week.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
Played Dook's two months ago, it was a fun, challenging, and the vistas are amazing.

Ken Kearney

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:26:46 PM »
Dooks is indeed a superb golf course.
Just on the "oldest club" thread, it is recorded in Faulkners Dublin Journal of 23rd October 1762 that "The goff club meet to dine at the house of Mr. Charles Moran at Bray on Thursday the 28th October, at half an hour after three o'clock", Elias De Butss, Esq in the chair...    so is anybody available to dine at Morans with Butts in the chair???
Let's not get political here but Royal Belfast is recorded as the first "modern" club in Ireland, founded in 1881... but I hear what Padraig is saying on the Curragh GC.
The "golfing" island of Ireland is under the stewardship of the Golfing Union of Ireland and this incorporates the Northern Ireland golfers and their clubs... thankfully...

KK
KK.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
i played it once and couldn't understand why it was put in our schedule
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:07 PM »
Played Dook's two months ago, it was a fun, challenging, and the vistas are amazing.

Aiden, I swear you could make the Santa Barbara muni look good!   ;) ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
I played Dooks on a trip to Ireland in 1994 and thought it was a great hidden gem.  I am a big fan of quirk and Dooks had a lot of quirk, including the weird par 3 green on the back 9 (is it still there?) and the finishing hole over the bulwarks. We played it on the same day as Waterville, and Dooks was a fine antidote to that course, which we found unduly Americanized.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:22:13 PM »
Thank you Bill....... next adult libation is on you......

As per you request, SB Muni #18

Mac Plumart

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:05 PM »
 WOW!!!   :o
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ian_L

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 10:54:13 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:56:50 PM by Ian_Linford »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »
I was down visiting Dooks a few weeks ago...

For those that played prior to the start of this decade, it has undergone a major overhaul at the hands of Hawtree... rerouting, a few new holes, 17 new green complexes, a whole host of trees removed opening up some of the best 360 degree views to be found... In other words, it is a different course. It is also a very, very good course and worth a stop for anyone who is golfing in Kerry. Almost criminal to miss it if travelling to Waterville anyway.

It does not have big dunes but thankfully does not need them as some other courses do. Neither does the extra 80 acres of seaside property which they have acquired which is wonderful. They have a few ideas for that land. All on hold for obvious reasons.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back