News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Chambers Bay, No Love?
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
I don't think the roads and local infrastructure can handle 40,000/day crowd at Bandon. It is just too far from Portland (4 hours without traffic) and I am not sure if Portland is big enough of a metropolitan area to support US Open.

CB will have people coming from Seattle (1 hour) AND Portland (2 hours).

Portland is easily big enough to support a US Open. The USGA was grooming Pumpkin Ridge to be the first pacific northwest US Open until the accursed ball went and got 25 yards longer, thereby obsoleting Pumpkin Ridge.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »
GB,

Do you think that was the reason Pumpkin got passed by? I never got that sense.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »
GB,

Do you think that was the reason Pumpkin got passed by? I never got that sense.

What other reason would their be? It just seems logical to me that is why they dropped it from consideration other than the club starting to discourage them. But with an Am, 2 women's opens, and now a LPGA tour event, it doesn't seem Pumpkin Ridge is discouraging anything.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean Leary

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
GB,

Maybe because of the golf course? Ghost Creek is a good course but it doesn't scream US Open to me. And they have some room there to make it longer. Maybe it is too short now. But it wasn't pre Pro V when it seemed like it was in the running.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Phil, you know what they say about excuses, everybody has got one! 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Garland Bayley

Re: Chambers Bay, No Love? New
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »
GB,

Maybe because of the golf course? Ghost Creek is a good course but it doesn't scream US Open to me. And they have some room there to make it longer. Maybe it is too short now. But it wasn't pre Pro V when it seemed like it was in the running.

I believe the course the USGA was considering was Witch Hollow. Either of them would be better than Torrey Pines so they don't have to scream US Open. ;)

EDIT: I believe JVB, a former member there, also indicated the problem was the ball obsoleting the golf course. If I remember correctly. I could have been the Captn.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:04:38 PM by Garland Bayley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back