News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sev K-H Keil

Re: Downhill Finishing Holes
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »
I recently played Ansley GC Settingdown Creek, outside of Atlanta --- the steep downhill 18th par 4 with the green over a pond was predictable, but great fun.

Finest in this category: Royal Porthcawl

Carl Nichols

« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 07:57:53 PM »
Both courses at Congressional now have 18th holes that play downhill -- the old 17th on the Blue course, and a downhill par 3 on the gold course. Both finish around the pond that the clubhouse overlooks.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2010, 08:06:30 PM »
I have to laugh, as Phil probably never expected so many downhill finishing holes.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ron Csigo

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2010, 08:10:22 PM »
Mansion Ridge.

BTW, how did your event go today, Ron?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Paul Carey

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
18th at congressional.   

Phil Benedict

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »
I have to laugh, as Phil probably never expected so many downhill finishing holes.

Certainly occurred to me that I might have been off base with this thread.

On the other hand it's a lot easier for me to think of courses with uphill finishing holes (or at least with approach shots that are uphill):  Augusta National, Baltusrol, Oak Hill, Riviera, Olympic, Essex County, etc.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 11:24:14 AM »
I believe Walmer & Kingsdown (clifftop course just south of Deal) comes somewhat downill to the final green and then of all things you walk a bit farther downhill from there to get to the clubhouse.

Here's the view from the 17th green at Pitlochry, those gentlemen are just arriving at the 18th tee and the clubhouse is visible far down the hill in the distance.

And here's what it looks like behind the 18th green looking back up toward the tee

The camera was tilted but I'll tell you the actual tee-to-green drop is just shy of 100 feet. There's a burn crossing in front of the green that is only about 300 yards from the tee, definitely drivable. If you did hit a drive over the burn, coming in from that descent angle it would have zero chance of stopping on the green under normal conditions.

By the way, the 16th at Pitlochry is a downhill short Par 3 with about a 40-foot drop. Then the 17th is a Par 4 that drop about 30 feet from tee to fairway and a few feet more from fairway to green. So from the 16th tee to the clubhouse is around 200 feet downhill.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:27:16 AM by Brent Hutto »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
Tom Doak,

How could you miss Sebonack ? ;D

David_Madison

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »
Alpine in NJ is a very much downhill par-5.

Governors Club in Chapel Hill, NC has two of its three nines ending with a downhill hole. The 9th on our Mountain Nine is practically driveable even though it's 400 yards - the hole drops approximately 150' from tee to green.

JSlonis

« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
Ugh...

58 reply's and not one mention of Pine Valley.  You guys are slipping. ;)

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »
JS

PV for mine goes uphill at the end ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »

Alpine in NJ is a very much downhill par-5.

David,

The original 18th hole at Alpine is the second hole, which is also downhill from an elevated tee.

Governors Club in Chapel Hill, NC has two of its three nines ending with a downhill hole. The 9th on our Mountain Nine is practically driveable even though it's 400 yards - the hole drops approximately 150' from tee to green.

Ed Oden

« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »
The Recession Club finishes with a downhill par 4.  Then again, at The Recession, pretty much everything seems to go downhill.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back