News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kupfer

Re: Barclays at Ridgewood
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 02:25:59 AM »
Does anyone have the routing being used between East, Center, West? Have the changes made caused the routing to change at all from the '90 Open to the '01 Senior PGA and the last couple Barclays?

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 02:44:55 AM »
I just noticed the composite layout in the photo thread. Nevermind!

Gary Slatter

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 07:20:37 AM »
Watching the PGA event yesterday I decided that I really like the course and think the way the fairways and aprons are cut is perfect, should become PGA standard.  I really dislike the striping and pattern cutting (90s), and didn't see any at Ridgewood - perfect!  The bunkers look good too!  Ridgewood, to me, is the look of 2010.

Todd Raisch, the excellent superintendent at Ridgewood CC, told me two years ago that originally they switched from the striped cut to half and half for the 2008 Barclays at the PGA Tour's request.  That year he found it saved a lot of money in labor and fuel, and also that it improved the quality of the rough since the mowers weren't turning around on it.  So, they decided to keep it.
That must be why they cut most fairways like that in Scotland (labour and fuel savings).  It is a nice natural look that half and half (or dark and tan or light and dark).  Todd Raisch should be commended.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
I am noticing on the telecast the elevation change flattened out by the camera.  For example, 15th hole is I think 6 West (Mike Policano, if you're reading this, please correct me if I'm wrong).  I played RCC back in 2006 and recall there was more elevation to this hole; the green was higher than the tee, I don't recall if you could see the green surface.  

2 and 3 West are very, very good holes I recall which are not being used. 

2 East I recall played much shorter during my visit-about 145-155 or so downhill?  Were or are there other tees?  This week it is playing in the 190 range. 

I didn't play well here, but had a blast; it's like Huntingdon Valley in that sense, the course is hard, but interesting very enjoyable. BB, in contrast, is hard and not as enjoyable.  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:49:20 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Bill Brightly

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
Doug,

The 15th hole they are playing today is about 1/2 a club uphill. It is a fine short par 3, but was FAR more interesting two years ago when the green was rock hard. Almost no one could keep it on the green. With all the rain they can spin it his week.

I think 3 west is a good uphill par 3, a semi-blind shot, but probably no way to get it in the championship routing.
Here it is

The Barclays routing is superb, but holes 1 through 5 are by far the easiest stretch. Players need to make their birdies early because the strecth of holes from 6 to 14 are REALLY tough, including 2 converted par 5's. Even par in that stretch is great.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 06:36:27 PM by Bill Brightly »

Mike Policano

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
Doug, 2 East plays 155 from the member tees. The back tees were aroun 175 until a few years ago when a new back tee was put in to stretch the hole to 200 yards to a well bunkered green.

Cheers, Mike

Trey Stiles

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 04:06:24 PM »
Is it just me , or would Ridgewood look and play a lot better without as much rough ?

I realize the tour players might shoot 20 under , but I just don't care what they shoot anymore.

I'm becoming a big fan of courses with less rough , allowing the ball to roll / bounce .

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
What did you think about the architecture that allowed Kuchar's 2nd shot on the playoff hole to get to tap-in distance?

I, for one, thought it was brilliant architecture.  Maybe it was Kuchar-luck, but I'd like to think that Tillie would've been proud of the play.

JSlonis

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »

Sabbatini ...

Casey ...

De Jonge ...

Micheel ...

Campbell ...

The golfer in the third picture is Kris Blanks, not DeJonge.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back