News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Clear Creek
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
And I was just guessing, and giving him crap, because if there's anyone who really IS a beardpuller while trying to deny it, it's that guy.

;D

Tom Yost

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »
As for the KP lineup:

Old Greenwood - nice course, decent mix of holes, very walkable.  A few too many cape style holes with greenside water, overall typical course nothing particularly inspiring.

Gray's Crossing - I liked it a lot, some really good holes here.  Knocked down a notch due to the fact it is virtually unwalkable.  Not a fan of the unplayable "environmentally sensitive" areas.  My second favorite of the five.

Coyote Moon - fun course with some very good holes and some unfortunate holes.  The severe property makes it difficult to rank it highly but Bell did a pretty good job of making an interesting and mostly playable course.

Timlick - really didn't do much for me, but I agree with Kyle, the stretch from 10 thru 16 was pretty good.  Generally, there was way too much bunkering going on for my taste.

Clear Creek - home run for sure.  Head and shoulders above the others.  I had a grin on my face the whole day! FUN golf that I could probably play on a daily basis and not tire of.  Great mix of holes and a great use of the property.   Where the other courses were just regular golf in my mind, Clear Creek stands out as a remarkable course.

Ben Sims

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »
If you can play Martis Camp and say you'd rather be throwing dice, then your beard is longer than ZZTop.

You may notice, after careful examination, that I never even inferred this.  In fact, I said just the opposite.  That after remembering about Martis and Coyote, that those two combined with Clear Creek are the courses that have pulled my interest in Tahoe from more than table gaming and skiing to golf matters.

It's just that I had forgotten about Martis Camp and my buddy Wyatt's recomendation, Coyote Moon.  Edgewood, Greenwood, etc., aren't crazy appealing to me. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »

If you can play Martis Camp and say you'd rather be throwing dice, then your beard is longer than ZZTop.

You may notice, after careful examination, that I never even inferred this.  In fact, I said just the opposite.  That after remembering about Martis and Coyote, that those two combined with Clear Creek are the courses that have pulled my interest in Tahoe from more than table gaming and skiing to golf matters.

It's just that I had forgotten about Martis Camp and my buddy Wyatt's recomendation, Coyote Moon.  Earlier courses like Edgewood, Greenwood, etc., weren't crazy appealing to me when I was living in NorCal.  

In the end though, it's about knowing who I am.  And I am a puller.  Doesn't mean I don't love golf, and have fun playing it and shotgun a beer or two on a random back nine teebox though.  I just know myself.  One day I'll get you and Spaulding to this next level of understanding.   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
It took two posts to get all that through - well done.

;D

A puller ye are.  You do know yourself, quite better than many others.

If you are the very very very rare puller who can turn it off when needed (which means damn near all the time), then you have joined Spaulding and me and a select few others.

Because therein lies the greatest secret.... we can pull when we want to.... quite obviously... we just know when to turn it off.

The betting man, as well as this doubting Thomas, continues to wonder if you can really pull this off, given you get off on riding greensmowers in your free time.

But I'd love to find out some day.  I'll just be wary.  Very wary.  Verily, very wary.  And not contrary.

;D

Greg Tallman

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
#4 looked decidedly un C&C to me. Built and benched versus natural flow of the land.. but that is from a photo only. Those that have enjoyed the course can elaborate or refute.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 03:18:37 PM »
That hole sure didn't seem built or benched to me... and if it is different from other C&C offerings, hell isn't that a good thing given the one largest criticism they seem to receive is that all of their stuff is the same?

Hell I don't know and don't much care either.  What I do know is this:  #4 is another very cool, very strong par 3 on a course full of them.  The tee shot is scary and exhilirating, and the green is very cool.  What's not to like?

Tom Yost

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »
#4 looked decidedly un C&C to me. Built and benched versus natural flow of the land.. but that is from a photo only. Those that have enjoyed the course can elaborate or refute.

I assume you refer to the sharp front drop off (that falls into the bunker) ? 

I'm not one that is adept at spotting constructed features, so I don't know...  It seems to work because there is a natural dry wash that crosses in front of the green so at first glance, it looks to me like any washed out stream bank might.  But it is grassed and there is a bunker not a stream bed so I dunno...    Henderson Jr. was down there, what did you see Kyle?    ;D

What does make it decidedly C&C would be the generous bailout left that is firm enough to feed a shot onto the green.

Ben Sims

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 03:52:55 PM »
It took two posts to get all that through - well done.

Wouldn't be the first time I've communicated poorly.  I just feel like Tahoe golf in general is 5 times more appealing this year than it was in 2005.  Wouldn't you agree?

;D

.... we can pull when we want to.... quite obviously...

I accept your surrender.  It only took three posts!  I was dug in for years to get you to admit your Freudian wish to be a puller, but I guess it was always there, begging for release.   ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
Is CC now public?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2010, 04:23:53 PM »
Steve _Shaffer:  You've asked the same question about two different courses in two different threads within the last few minutes...
  why not just call the club up and ask them directly?  or is there a different agenda in mind?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:30:32 PM by Peter_Herreid »

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »
Downhill to the right is the wrong place to miss on #4 at CCT. However, if one occasionally find their ball in a playable lie. I've made a 3 and a 6 from down there. The left bunker is also difficult. Too easy to thin one that ends up over the green and down the hill.

The shaping of the bunkers at Martis Camp seemed attractive to me overall, but the fairway bunkers appeared to be very deep and penal. Can you concur, Kirkster?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
Peter,

I'm just  a curious guy. If one is not a member of the club in which he posts about, I think there should be a requirement as to how access is obtained.

I did go to the website and saw that it's private.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2010, 04:49:03 PM »
Ben - give me a break.  That was far from a surrender, it was more of a declaration of war.
Yes, I can pull AT TIMES.  But once again, for emphasis:  I know when to stop.  This does not make me a bearpuller as you so gleefully define yourself... it just means I know want one is and can humor and go along with you fools when required, that's all.

YOU have defined yourself that way.  It remains to be seen if you can get to the enlightened state in which folks like Spaulding and I reside where one can take it or leave it.

Consider war declared.  You're about like Italy in the early parts WWII so far.  Hopefully you can capitulate and change sides as they did.  We'll see.

As for Tahoe now v. 2005, yes, more courses equals more better.

Ben Sims

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
Ben - give me a break.  That was far from a surrender, it was more of a declaration of war.
Yes, I can pull AT TIMES.  But once again, for emphasis:  I know when to stop.  This does not make me a bearpuller as you so gleefully define yourself... it just means I know want one is and can humor and go along with you fools when required, that's all.

YOU have defined yourself that way.  It remains to be seen if you can get to the enlightened state in which folks like Spaulding and I reside where one can take it or leave it.

Consider war declared.  You're about like Italy in the early parts WWII so far.  Hopefully you can capitulate and change sides as they did.  We'll see.

As for Tahoe now v. 2005, yes, more courses equals more better.

Hey Huck, it's me, America.  One-two-three-four I declare internet war!

This'll be my last post on this thread about this subject.  But I know what I am.  I still think that you and Spaulds are in denial.  You'd rather be seen as above the geekery.  I'm cool with that.  I understand the wish to be above the dork-dom of beard pulling.  But deep down every fighter jock--no matter how many G's they pull or how many times they yell "Fox three" into their oxygen masks--knows that they are just one step removed from the guys that play microsoft flight simulator on Friday nights. 

Ben Sims

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
If one is not a member of the club in which he posts about, I think there should be a requirement as to how access is obtained.

Steve,

I'm confused as to what you mean?  We should preface threads/posts of courses in which we're not members by stating how we saw the course?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
Ben,

Exactly. If you're a rater,say so. If you know the pro,developer,super or a member,say so. If your pro called for access, say so. If you played in a tournament or a charity event, say so. I think it's the proper thing to do.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:38:39 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 05:38:55 PM »
Ben,

Exactly. If you're a rater,say so. If you know the pro,developer,super or a member,say so. If your pro called for access, say so. If you played in a tournament, say,so. I think it's the proper thing to do.

I can't imagine how you could think that is any of your business.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
Ben:

I am happy to leave it at you don't know me and I don't know you; and that you know who you are just as I know who I am.

And what I am, is not at all in denial, but certainly sick of this shit.

Deal?

BTW, I played Clear Creek as part of the KING'S PUTTER outing.

Ben Sims

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 05:49:06 PM »
Ben,

Exactly. If you're a rater,say so. If you know the pro,developer,super or a member,say so. If your pro called for access, say so. If you played in a tournament, say,so. I think it's the proper thing to do.

I can't imagine how you could think that is any of your business.

Steve,

I'm sure you're a nice guy and I don't wish to engage in an argument over this or upset you, honest.  But that has to be one of more ludicrous things I've read here in awhile.  How is it anyone's business--publicly--how one is fortunate enough to play a private golf course.  I wouldn't ever dream of betraying a hosting member/pro/super/developer in that fashion.  And it's certainly no public business of anyone whether a club grants access to a rater.  

Tom,

This is all mucking about.  I haven't said a single word in malice or anything but having a laugh about all of this.  I hope you're not offended.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:50:52 PM by Ben Sims »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
Offended?  No.  But stating I was in denial, that raised the shackles temporarily.

I did like the fighter jock lines.

;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 06:01:17 PM »
Since the King's Putter ended a few months ago, I assumed this was a new thread.

I didn't follow the thread on the event since I'm not a west coaster. Maybe I should take a trip next year.

In any event,I try to make  it a point these days when I post about a private club about how I happened to play there- GAP Member Play Day here in the Philly area, tournament, charity event, member invite,  or whatever. That's just me.

Never mind.

By the way, if any of you guys have ever played Hidden Creek, how does CC compare-except for the scenery?

Ben Sims

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »
Offended?  No.  But stating I was in denial, that raised the shackles temporarily.

I did like the fighter jock lines.

;D

Copy!  Poor choice of words on my part.   I'll engage at a later time.  This is all stupid anyway.

Back to Clear Creek.  

Sean Leary

« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2010, 06:56:54 PM »
Since the King's Putter ended a few months ago, I assumed this was a new thread.

I didn't follow the thread on the event since I'm not a west coaster. Maybe I should take a trip next year.

In any event,I try to make  it a point these days when I post about a private club about how I happened to play there- GAP Member Play Day here in the Philly area, tournament, charity event, member invite,  or whatever. That's just me.

Never mind.

By the way, if any of you guys have ever played Hidden Creek, how does CC compare-except for the scenery?

Steve,

You probably should explain what you you were getting at.. Are you suggesting that people's motivations on posting are different depending on how they got access?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2010, 07:24:14 PM »
Sean,

There was never any mention here about King's Putter untl late in the thread. I thought it should have been mentioned earlier. KP was over in early June- 3 months ago. I thought people were talking about a recent play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back