News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Clear Creek
« on: August 21, 2010, 08:44:39 PM »
Home Run.  Anybody else think so??

JC

PThomas

Re: Clear Creek
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
pls provide details Jonathan
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
I guess but Friars Head and Sand Hills are Grand Slams.

There are a couple of holes I don't remember but all in all it's an outstanding golf course.  As for Golf Digest top 100, I could see it in the 80's, maybe 90's.   I think Friars Head should be top 30.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
I've had the pleasure of 4 rounds there. It's an outstanding golf course.

In the realm of C&C courses, I have it in the same class as Bandon Trails, better than Colorado GC but not quite a match for Sand Hills.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
Concur Kyle!  JC

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:01:13 PM »
I believe it is the best course in the whole Tahoe/Reno area.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mat Dunmyer

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »
I believe it is the best course in the whole Tahoe/Reno area.

Some people might argue that Martis Camp would hold that distinction, though I agree with you.

Mat

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
I've had the pleasure of 4 rounds there. It's an outstanding golf course.

In the realm of C&C courses, I have it in the same class as Bandon Trails, better than Colorado GC but not quite a match for Sand Hills.

I had the pleasure of playing with Kyle at Colorado GC last week (completely random I might add), and we're discussing this very topic.  I mentioned an acquiantance of mine has played CGC and Clear Creek and also "ranks" them CC and then CGC... says Clear Creek is an oustanding course, on terrific land, and a ton of fun to play.  I liked CGC a lot, and would love to see how Clear Creek would present itself the better of the two.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 02:57:27 PM »
Just so everyone knows which Clear Creek is being discussed here: http://www.clearcreektahoe.com/clubcoore-crenshaw.php

Jeff Dawson

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 02:14:15 PM »
BTW--- Ran has written a review of Clear Creek.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/clear-creek-tahoe

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 08:33:23 PM »
I have played both Martis Camp and Clear Creek.  Not a contest in my mind, Clear Creek is better architecturally.  Martis Camp may have better views and a bit more drama in the surrounding land, but Clear Creek is playable, fun and thought provoking.  Martis Camp is a bit hard and unforgiving in a few places.
The typical rich guy, looking for status and amenities will migrate toward Martis Camp.  The avid player will migrate toward Clear Creek.  The range is pretty, but the best features are the ball and small tee line.
I know that USC guy, Gib or something has played Martis Camp, don't know about Clear Creek.  I would welcome his input if he has played both.  Maybe he is too buys up in Seattle visiting his man, Pete Carroll.
I haven't played Timilick.  I hear one 9 came out pretty good.  I am guessing it will be behind Clear Creek and Martis Camp on my ranking, if I did that sort of thing.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 12:11:35 AM »
I have played both Martis Camp and Clear Creek.  Not a contest in my mind, Clear Creek is better architecturally.  Martis Camp may have better views and a bit more drama in the surrounding land, but Clear Creek is playable, fun and thought provoking.  Martis Camp is a bit hard and unforgiving in a few places.
The typical rich guy, looking for status and amenities will migrate toward Martis Camp.  The avid player will migrate toward Clear Creek.  The range is pretty, but the best features are the ball and small tee line.
I know that USC guy, Gib or something has played Martis Camp, don't know about Clear Creek.  I would welcome his input if he has played both.  Maybe he is too buys up in Seattle visiting his man, Pete Carroll.
I haven't played Timilick.  I hear one 9 came out pretty good.  I am guessing it will be behind Clear Creek and Martis Camp on my ranking, if I did that sort of thing.

I concur, although I only toured (didn't play) Martis Camp. MC has great amenities and a nice little putting course to boot, but Clear Creek Tahoe is the course I'd want to play time and again.

The back nine at Timilick is better than the front, with the exception of the foolish/forced 17th and the predictable 18th.

Old Greenwood, Gray's Crossing and Coyote Moon are also worthy of a sunny day's play, but the area is a bit overpriced in general for daily fee golfers.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

astavrides

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:34 AM »
How does Lahontan compare?

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:54 AM »
How does Lahontan compare?

Haven't played it.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
I played Martis Camp, Lahontan and Clear Creek this May.  Nice trip.

Martis Camp is a sweet development, but didn't quite do it for me as a golf course.  It's quite difficult.  It follows the modern thinking of wide landing areas and challenging greenside play.  This may sound like a strange critique of a Tom Fazio design, but I found the "look" of the approach shots somewhat unsettling.  I didn't feel there were sufficient cues presented to the golfer, as to where the miss should be, for instance.

I liked Lahontan better, especially the back nine.  Lahontan was developed in the 1990s, as has fewer "bells and whistles" than the other two designs, but is a terrific example of a course with good directional strategy.  "OK, the pin is over here , so you want to play your tee shot here"...that sort of thing.  The greens are quite mild there, but have enough slope to make it fun.  A couple of tough green to tee walks, but overall a very nice place.

I liked Clear Creek the best of the three, although I wasn't head over heels for the course.  I got my feeligs hurt by hitting what I thought were good tee shots with fairway woods on dogleg left holes #9 and #15, only to find my ball had traveled through the fairway into awkward fescue lies.  In general, I thought the fairways (50-60 yards average width) were a bit too narrow, given that the rough was too rough to recover from.  Lots of variety, and lots of standout holes as well.

All three present a lovely environment to play the game.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 11:48:59 AM »
I'll see your three and make it four....

I have played each of Clear Creek, Martis Camp, Lahontan and Timilick.

And I'd put them in that order.

Clear Creek is the best for me, for reasons others have stated.  Hell of a place.

I like Martis Camp a lot more than John or Lynn... I also didn't find it to be overly difficult... or at least not more so than any of the others.  There were a few very tough heroic shots, but hell I like those as a change of pace and they were the minority there.  I just thought it was very very good.  I expounded on it in here way way back.

Lahontan did little for me, relative to these others anyway.  I did love a few holes, but too many just left me flat and/or scratching my head.  Interestingly I also preferred the front nine to the back nine... I guess John and I aren't meant to see these eye to eye.

Timilick is the clear #4, but no disgrace.. it's pretty damn good also.

All four present a lovely environment in which to play the game.

Plagiarism with edit.  ;D

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 01:12:48 PM »
Tom may be right.

We may disagree regularly.

How about Martis Camp's amorphous bunker shapes?  They are a style in vogue these last few years, but I felt they were overly complex in appearance for the largely consistent forest environment.  Personally, I would have liked to see simple shapes.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »
Tom may be right.

How about Martis Camp's amorphous bunker shapes?  They are a style in vogue these last few years, but I felt they were overly complex in appearance for the largely consistent forest environment.  Personally, I would have liked to see simple shapes.

Bunker shapes don't matter much to me, as I don't have a beard.
I just play the game.  And as they played, they seemed to me to be pretty darn good.

John Kirk

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 01:28:40 PM »
C'mon, Tom!

Pretty golf course that fits nicely into the surroundings?  Very important!

Paging Matt Ward for his rebuttal.

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
I just play the game.  

Huckster,

I will one day convince you of your puller status and sheer love of golf architecture, if it's the last thing I do. ;D

You remind me of a young Lieutenant, swearing up one side and down the other that he is different and special and can still rage against the man.  Then you pin on Major and wonder, "at what point did I drink the kool-aid?"  

Drink it, pull, and be merry!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 01:52:53 PM »
Ben:  give up now.

John:  pretty golf course that fits nicely into the surroundings - now you are speaking my language.  Amorphous bunker shapes, etc.., that required the beard.

And Ben, therein lies the key difference that I know you get, but refuse to acknowledge.  The betting man has it a far strong shot that you come down to me in the gutter than I join you in the clouds.  We'll see.

;D

Scott Szabo

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 02:01:11 PM »
Tom may be right.

I just play the game.  And as they played, they seemed to me to be pretty darn good.

Huck,

So that wasn't you with the long beard pictured on the Ballyneal Yucca thread a while back then?   ;D
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Ben Sims

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
The betting man has it a far strong shot that you come down to me in the gutter than I join you in the clouds.  We'll see.

;D

All my teachers in grade school said the same thing...sort of.  

I'll get you to admit it, in one way or another, one day.   ;)

As far as Clear Creek, I think that area was hurting for something different.  C&C design--as much as we here have come to be familiar with their work--is a depature from the normal golf you see in the Tahoe area.  I have had no desire to spend my time in the Tahoe area doing anything but skiing and throwing dice until Clear Creek was built.  However, I will admit that I had forgotten about Martis and Coyote Moon as good courses to play.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »
If you can play Martis Camp and say you'd rather be throwing dice, then your beard is longer than ZZTop.

Hell I'd say that for ANY golf course up there.  If you participate in places like this, debate all the nuances, and then don't want to play beautiful courses like those in Tahoe... then thy be a beardpuller, my son.  The golfing earth is not yours.

;D

Scott:  that was Spaulding, or should have been.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »

Scott:  that was Spaulding, or should have been.

It was - just yanking your chain a bit....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back