News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe McCormac

Minocqua CC
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:19 PM »
Had the good fortune of playing 9 holes at Minocqua CC in the north woods of Wisconsin yesterday.  It poured buckets from holes 4-9 and my playing partner would not continue. 

The course was fantastic.  The routing of the front 9 seemed flawless save for a long stretch between the 1st and the 2nd.  Good variety of par 4s and 3s on the front, with the par 5 1st and 9th leaving a bit to be desired as they are side-by-side and play nearly the same.  Generous fairways allow players to pick the best angle to attack the greens which are great complexes.  My impression from the front 9 is that Minocqua is a gem.  I've played both Whistling Straits and Erin Hills in Wisconsin and I loved the front 9 at Minocqua for everything those course are not.

Can anyone share thoughts on what I missed on the back 9?

Anyone know other courses designed by Ron Garl?

Thanks in adavnce.

Tim Gavrich

Re: Minocqua CC
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:13:36 PM »
The only Ron Garl course that I am sure I have played is the Tradition Club just south of Myrtle Beach.  I've never been a huge fan of it, but it's okay--about middle-of-the-road among Grand Strand-area courses, IMO.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Joe McCormac

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:17:31 PM »
I should have been more clear about Ron Garl. 

Anyone know any Ron Garl courses worth seeing?  Obviously he's designed a number of courses, mostly in the southest.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:21:30 PM »
Victoria Hills in Deland, FL

http://www.rongarl.com/projects/course_list.shtml

The Publix Supermarket Par3 in Lakeland, FL should be an interesting visit:

http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/coursefinder/course/0,28290,1460244,00.html
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:26:50 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:35:02 PM »
He did Heritage Pointe here in Calgary, good but not great.

John_Conley

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:56:33 PM »
Anyone know any Ron Garl courses worth seeing?  Obviously he's designed a number of courses, mostly in the southest.

I have not seen Fiddlesticks or Avila.  Some consider them pretty good.

Victoria Hills is excellent.  Bloomingdale attracted a lot of very good players when it opened and once boasted the strongest playing membership of any course in the country.  Golden Ocala is terrific.  Their replica holes weren't brute-forced like a Tour 18; Garl took care to lay holes that worked on the property.  I really like Grenelefe South.  Better than West.  Ravines is one of a kind.  Eaglebrooke is a lot of fun.  Timacuan is solid. 

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 05:31:32 PM »
The only Ron Garl course I have played is Money Hill, a private that is across the lake from New Orleans (and in the same town as the Abita brewery). I played there as I was just getting into GCA more seriously. I recall it being pretty good for a housing development.

Minocqua is a place I have heard as being good, but I haven't gotten there. Probably should.

Bryan Bergner

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »
Minocqua CC is a real gem.  I've been fortunate enough to play it a few times.  I recently played it in early July and it was in excellent shape.  It's one of my favorites in the state.  Here's a link to some pictures I've taken of the course.

http://gallery.me.com/bbergner#100594&bgcolor=black&view=grid

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:50:16 AM »
Minocqua's pro, Peter Nomm is an occasional poster here on GCA.com.   I may be up there for a weekend in Sept.  You can have a lot of fun around there.  I've been thinking of going back to Land-o-Lakes for another look (an old RB Harris track we recently talked about here).  There are a few other north woods courses in those parts to have fun playing. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil McDade

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »
RJ:

Have you ever played Plum Lake near Sayner? A 9-holer said to have some good quirk in it. Beautiful clubhouse, old Northwoods-style.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »
Nope...

The only ones up there I've played up there are Trout Lake, Gateway (land 0 Lakes) and St Germaine.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Les Cordes

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
my parents retired in minocqua....and the joys of northwoods golf cannot be underestimated...also, try pete dye's Big Fish in the hayward area..not too far from minocqua...a terrific layout...

J Sadowsky

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 08:36:27 PM »
I'm actually going to a wedding at Minocqua CC in 2 weeks but as it is my wife's friend getting married and the groom's family are members, an invite to actually play doesn't look in the cards.  Anyone know of a good public course or a course where access might be possible in the area? 

PS - Big Fish looks great but the wife will not be happy with me driving 2+ hours to get a round in.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:44:30 PM by Justin Sadowsky »

Les Cordes

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »
justin...st.germaine, pinewood, and timber ridge...all in the minocqua area...are really fun and quite picturesque (in the northwoods way!)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back