News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: 2010 US Amateur at Chambers Bay (+ The Home Course)
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Rich, have you seen yourself on TV yet?

I don't have Golf Channel... :(

Mark Smolens

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2010, 01:47:46 PM »
Really, no Golf Channel? Man I don't know what I'd do without my dish and the dvr. I know that there's a bunch of drivel on the Golf Channel, but that's what the dvr is for.

Like Mr. Craig I too cannot wait to visit my buddy who teaches at the University of Puget Sound so that I can wander around CB. Pat, did they give you a break on the greens fee at EH due to the length of grass in the fairways? Are they still not allowing push carts?

Sean Leary

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »
There is something that the commentators keep saying... (paraphrasing) "These young players aren't familiar with links golf or the shots needed to play a links style golf course."   While true, I don't think it has anything to do with age because I would bet 95% of all (young and old) American golfers are unfamilar with this type of golf. 

I was surprised to hear that Peter Uihlein had never played links golf before when I saw a post round interview considering who his dad is...

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2010, 01:59:16 PM »
Here are some great reaction from one of the competitors: http://www.southtownstar.com/sports/cronin/2638032,082610sptgolfcolumn.article

"
"You're hitting shots and hope it catches the right spot," Buffone said. "It's all about getting lucky, getting the right bounce. You can hit a skillful shot but you just don't know what will happen."

That's a sign a course set-up is out of control. Tournaments are supposed to be a competition, not a lottery.

"

Is that the general consensus of the competitors or just one?  Is he still competing or did he miss the cut/get beat in match play?  Sounds like sour grapes to me, although if it's the consensus of the guys, that should say something.

Scott,
I interviewed Jason on the phone after he missed the cut by eight strokes. It was not, however, sour grapes. He loved the course, knows the game (as a plus 2.9 should), and was thinking about hanging around Wednesday to watch the first round of match play in person, rather than explore Seattle with his girlfriend. But he thought the extreme hardness, not the layout, was the cause of the capricious nature of the play. (The lottery sentence was mine, not his, incidentally.)

I've watched the first two days and have been enthralled by the whole scene. I do wish, though, that the NBC/GC gang would give us the actual daily yardage, rather than the tips-to-back of green number, plus explain how much the course has been watered. Doesn't seem rock-hard now, just plain ol' hard.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom Yost

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2010, 02:39:29 PM »
Rich, have you seen yourself on TV yet?

I don't have Golf Channel... :(

Can't you write an app for that?

Last night's coverage showed a cool shot by Patrick Cantlay, tee shot on #12 that ran all the way to the back of the green then followed the backboard and sideboards making a 270 turn and coming back to about 6' from the hole.  Didn't see if he was able to make the eagle.

Richard Choi

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »
I cancelled all but the local channels after Comcast started encrypting all of their channels. I use Windows Media Center (I have 4TB of media and no cable co DVR is going to support that much storage) and it can't access encrypted channels. I really have not missed the channels much except for The Golf Channel.

I am looking forward to NBC coverage though...

Richard Choi

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
Looks like Chung is going to win and An may hang on for a victory as well.

I am just amazed that Dirksen continues to do so well while carrying his bag. We should adopt that guy as our own!

Ted Harris

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
There is something that the commentators keep saying... (paraphrasing) "These young players aren't familiar with links golf or the shots needed to play a links style golf course."   While true, I don't think it has anything to do with age because I would bet 95% of all (young and old) American golfers are unfamilar with this type of golf. 

I was surprised to hear that Peter Uihlein had never played links golf before when I saw a post round interview considering who his dad is...

I know Langley has played links golf before - I watched him play at the Palmer Cup at Royal Portrush this summer

Garland Bayley

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
Rich,

I caught a bit of the coverage on the Golf Channel. Saw the ads for the Brush Tee. What kind of deal did you make with the USGA for them to get you to marshal at the tournament.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »
It really is too bad that they watered the hell out of the course over last several days. It is playing WAAAY easier than it did during the stroke play. There are too many wedge shots that are sticking...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
It really is too bad that they watered the hell out of the course over last several days. It is playing WAAAY easier than it did during the stroke play. There are too many wedge shots that are sticking...

Really?  Chung was making practice swings today for a flop shot off very tight turf, and the contact sounded like hardwood flooring!  As I said on another thread, the place appears to be playing like a giant pinball machine!  How much faster could it play?

Richard Choi

« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2010, 05:58:55 PM »
You really should not be able to hit that flop shot if the course was really firm. What it looks like to me is that they have the course a bit softer and greens running a little faster.

Personally, I think firmer course with slower green would be more interesting.

It does look nice in HD though. The color is just about right.

Sean Leary

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2010, 07:14:25 PM »
Man I thought it looked like played perfect today.

George Freeman

« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
You really should not be able to hit that flop shot if the course was really firm. What it looks like to me is that they have the course a bit softer and greens running a little faster.

The course seemed to be playing extremely firm and fast (which is awesome IMO) during the thirty minutes of coverage I saw today.  It looked like if they sped it up and firmed it up any more, it would get borderline unplayable....As it is right now, the ball looks like it is rolling across a linoleum floor!  Richard, the best players in the world can hit just about any shot from any lie under any condition...not sure that is the best judge of whether or not the course is playing firm and fast enough.

It is awesome to see the USGA really buy into F&F.  Finally the direction of golf course conditioning may be pointing in the right direction...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Richard Choi

« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2010, 08:18:53 PM »
My only qualm is that a lot of the wedges seemed to stick pretty much where they landed. It was not so earlier in the week. Also, on the 16th, when you miss to the left off the fairway, you really should not be able to hold the green while landing on the green or near it, you really need to land about 40 yards away. It takes away to biggest characteristics of that hole.

But you probably could not have put the pin on the left side at the 7th if it was any firmer and those shots on the 9th would not have stayed on the green.

Richard Choi

« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2010, 09:27:05 PM »
Just got back from walking 36 holes today as a marshall, and wow... what a day!

I think today's conditions were just perfect, not too firm and not too soft. They watered the course only a little bit last night. The course is probably about 50% dormant, so brown is everywhere. With cooler temperatures and moisture in the air, the course did not dry out too much from the morning to the afternoon. I think that bodes well for US Open as you are more likely to have weather like this in mid-June.

Both David and Peter played great all day. The morning match was really close with both matching each other's great play. Peter made a few more 8 to 10 footers and that made all the difference. Uihlein is a REALLY long hitter and he drove just great all day. Not only did he keep in on the fairway (not that hard), he put the ball on the correct side time and time again which made his approach shots as easy as possible. David was not as accurate off the tee, but he scrambled like crazy when he faced some adversity. But it is hard to beat someone who is making almost no mistakes all day.

This was an awesome US Am and i will definitely remember this for a very long time.

P.S. I am watching the recorded telecast and I see myself every now and then. Can you recognized me? :)

Richard Choi

« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2010, 09:41:58 PM »
One last thing. The tournament was a big success business wise. The crowds on the weekend days averaged about 5000 (they were hoping for 7000 the entire week) and they already had 80% of the targeted revenue for the merchandise by yesterday (should have easily surpassed that and then some today).

And the crowd was very well behaved and appreciative of the players. They were really pulling for both players.

Tim Bert

« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
Just got back from walking 36 holes today as a marshall, and wow... what a day!

I think today's conditions were just perfect, not too firm and not too soft. They watered the course only a little bit last night. The course is probably about 50% dormant, so brown is everywhere. With cooler temperatures and moisture in the air, the course did not dry out too much from the morning to the afternoon. I think that bodes well for US Open as you are more likely to have weather like this in mid-June.

Both David and Peter played great all day. The morning match was really close with both matching each other's great play. Peter made a few more 8 to 10 footers and that made all the difference. Uihlein is a REALLY long hitter and he drove just great all day. Not only did he keep in on the fairway (not that hard), he put the ball on the correct side time and time again which made his approach shots as easy as possible. David was not as accurate off the tee, but he scrambled like crazy when he faced some adversity. But it is hard to beat someone who is making almost no mistakes all day.

This was an awesome US Am and i will definitely remember this for a very long time.

P.S. I am watching the recorded telecast and I see myself every now and then. Can you recognized me? :)

I think I saw you.  Did you tackle Uihlein on the 25th hole and try to force him to use a brush tee that wasn't endorsed by Acushnet?

Richard Choi

« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2010, 09:47:28 PM »
You can see me screaming behind David Chung when he made that pitch shot on the 8th...

Richard Choi

« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
Also disappointed that Peter Uihlein didn't yell out "FREE PRO V1's FOR EVERYBODY!!!" after he won...

Phil McDade

« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:59 PM »
Richard:

Many, many thanks for your devotion to this website with these updates during what has been an incredibly busy week for yourself. I'm sure it was a great experience, and I think CBay showed itself to be a top-flight course worthy of the Open in 2015. Your thoughts on the course I'm sure have helped many of us who haven't had the opportunity to travel to Washington understand and appreciate CB much better.

Now -- get some rest!

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2010, 10:09:29 PM »
Richard,

Thanks for your very dilligent posts this week! Really gave some insights beyond what we armchair tv ers could see.

You and the rest of the GCA gang might want to check out the interviews posted on the USGA website. There is some super commentary on there, particularly the USGA interview with O'Toole, Hyler and Davis!

My feelings on Chambers Bay have been elevated after all I saw and heard this week. Glad you enjoyed your week...sleep well ;D!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Richard Choi

« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »
Thanks guys. I am just happy the tournament turned out so well. I was really hoping that others would see just how great this course can play for a major tournament, and I think it did.

Kris, you are right. That is a great article! It is like a Penthouse Forum for GCA nuts, it is so good and enlightening!

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventArticle.aspx?id=2147490104
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:25:45 PM by Richard Choi »

Sean Leary

« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2010, 10:29:29 PM »
Richard,

Are you the really tall blond guy?

Richard Choi

« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
A nice wrap up article on a local paper...

33,700 spectators for the week is just phenomenal for US Amateur.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/08/30/1593286/chambers-bay-hits-a-home-run.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 12:36:54 PM by Richard Choi »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back