News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: 2010 US Amateur at Chambers Bay (+ The Home Course)
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »

After watching the faux links at Whistling Straits, the golf fans are about to see the real thing in action.

We are going to see the real, faux links?  Isn't that rather oxymoronic? 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2010, 12:23:54 PM »
Great reports, Richard.  Keep em coming. 

Any golfers you, or anyone else, thinks the course might favor? 

Tom Dunne

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
I shot a brief video for golfdigest.com earlier in the summer which was posted on Ryan Herrington's Campus Insider this morning. I thought it would accompany the feature I wrote for the Aug. 9 Golf World (print-only), but the editors there were busy with the PGA and decided to hold it back for a bit. Anyway:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/college-golf

To be honest, Richard Choi has been so on the ball that regular readers of this site won't find all that much new here, but it does take a while to produce these things!

My sleeper pick for the Am can be found on o&b (I cross-posted the video there, too).

Can't wait to see how this championship plays out.

Richard Choi

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
JC, if it looks and plays like the real links (even located on a body of salt water), how is it faux?

Jim, I would think Jin Jeong, the British Amateur champ, has to be the favorite going in. He obviously knows the links game so Chambers conditions should not surprise him.

Andrew Putnam is a local guy and has played the course more than probably anyone else in the field, so that should give him a huge advantage.

I have a hard time seeing any big-bombin' high school and college players doing well. They are going to be in shellshock by the fact that they cannot just fire at the pin. You may see older guys make some noise as hopefully their experience and creativity may aid them more on this course (though the length will be a chore for them). Perhaps we should be looking towards European, Australian, and South African players to make some noise.

One more thing I forgot to mention. As expected, the balls are not flying with cooler temperature with low humidity and sea-level pressure. Marc mentioned that his irons were flying about a club less. He was going to spend some time on the range getting the exact distance of his clubs. The course will play every bit of its length even with its firm conditions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:46:02 PM by Richard Choi »

Steve Lang

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
 8) Richard, take a breath man..  JC is pointing out something true a figure of speech that's funny

what are you going to be doing as a marshall.. working a hole?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:44 PM »
When I played the course I had a caddie who had been there since the course open and caddied at Silverleaf in the winter.  He really knew the greens and while I had no problem reading greens at Bandon, he corrected my read more often than I would care to admit.(He also pointed out a few to Richard and our other playing partner.) It will be interesting to see how good these players are at reading those double and triple breaking putts.

Steve Lang

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »
 8)  having watched the top AJGA players the last couple of years at the HP Invitational.. i can't believe the top us ams won't figure them out, once they get on, and certainly who we see on tv next weekend will have figured them and how to get on the best

can't wait
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Richard Choi

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Jerry, Randy just put up his review of Chambers Bay (http://randyhaag.com/) and he agrees with you that the greens are hard to read. I think this is a must read for all participants at US Am.

William_G

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
Love the excitement with this event, thanks Richard.

Heard from one of the kids playing this week that the USGA is freaking out with how firm the greens are, and that they are now "triple watering" lol.

Definitely a more traditional, Irish look to the course right now. Forget about needing a ball mark repair tool. ;)

Wish I were good enough to be playing there instead of typing here. Thanks
It's all about the golf!

Richard Choi

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
Awwwww man, if that is true, it would be a real bummer. I think the conditions are just about ideal. If they are worried about being too firm, they can always move up the tees.

Dale Jackson

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2010, 11:21:26 PM »
For those interested some water was put on the CB greens, and more on the fairways last night.  Probably some tonight as well, there is a strong possibility of wind tonight.

The players, for the most part, are still struggling to figure both courses out.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »
The winners of the first round matches on Wednesday will have a short moment of elation until they face the reality of a possible double round on Thursday trudging up and down the terrain. Thursday's cull will be very telling. It will be harder on the caddies, wonder if players will have different AM, PM caddies. And I hope they have youngish rules officials or a deep bench.

JC Jones

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2010, 07:58:23 AM »
8) Richard, take a breath man..  JC is pointing out something true a figure of speech that's funny

Steve,

He went to UofM. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Steve Kline

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
The course/maintenance meld looks absolutely fantastic in Randy's blog pictures. I'm really looking forward to watching this on TV now.

William_G

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
@ Pete..."The winners of the first round matches on Wednesday will have a short moment of elation until they face the reality of a possible double round on Thursday trudging up and down the terrain. Thursday's cull will be very telling. It will be harder on the caddies, wonder if players will have different AM, PM caddies. And I hope they have youngish rules officials or a deep bench."

That is so true as I carry everyday I  play and no course in memory is like CB for carrying clubs. The uphills are brutal and it will be youngsters who make it to the weekend on tghis factor alone. ;)
It's all about the golf!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
Live scoring link: http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2010&type=stroke

The front nine at Chambers Bay is playing slow. The first group is 2:43 out and hasn't posted. Two groups from the back nine have posted.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:21:46 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:55 PM »
Pete's link doesn't work for me. Anyone else?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2010, 01:20:05 PM »
It doesn't for me either, I'll try to fix.      FIXED Anyways after three hours the first group of the first tee at Chambers Bay has not posted a score.
Are they playing tennis by the 7th green, are they losing balls on the hillsides or did the USGA have to re-cup a hole, are they slow, or does the USGA see a big problem 3:05 and counting

They made it somewhere 3:05 and 3:08. Suprisingly they are even, +2 and + 2. Are they college players?
two college players and a reinstated amateur
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:56:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 01:48:27 PM »
Clearly the players on the front 9 will be slow, because they all must stop and take pictures of he wonderful view from the 9th tee.
;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Richard Choi

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »
Just watched few groups playing the 1st and 18th and the course is playing firmer than yesterday and is borderline unfair. Saw 6 groups and none of them hit the green. Most ended up way below left even when I thought they played the correct shot. Looks like they moved some of the tougher pins to easier spots though.

Marc is 3 over through back nine and I think 6 over will be a fine score today at CB .

Steve Kline

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 02:49:42 PM »
Go Mandel brothers!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »
Just watched few groups playing the 1st and 18th and the course is playing firmer than yesterday and is borderline unfair. Saw 6 groups and none of them hit the green. Most ended up way below left even when I thought they played the correct shot. Looks like they moved some of the tougher pins to easier spots though.

Marc is 3 over through back nine and I think 6 over will be a fine score today at CB .

I'm sorry Richard, but I think you should have written the course is playing difficult or very difficult instead of "borderline unfair". Since the players on Chambers Bay are all facing the same conditions, it is fair by definition.

Richard Choi

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 03:21:19 PM »
Well, they are hitting the shots required for the 1st green, a high fade to the short right. The ball feeds down the green and going straight across to the bottom of the collection area on the left. They are not even stopping on the first collection area just below the green like I saw yesterday. They are ending up 60 yards away. This really isn't how this hole should play.

Well, off to the Home Course for marshalling duties. Won't post again till tonight.

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 10:50:07 PM »
68-95 scoring range at Chambers Bay

a 62 on the home course

http://www.usga.org/ChampEventScore.aspx?id=17179869326&year=2010&type=stroke

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
It's all good when you finish eagle-eagle, as Jeff "Lieing in bed, just like Brian" Wilson did.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back