News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Timber Banks near Syracuse, New York
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
18 holes are open this year on this Nicklaus Group course.  The Nicklaus Design Group has this on site...http://www.nicklaus.com/design/timberbanks/index.php

My photos from today are here:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/buffalogolfer/Timber%20Banks/
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jay Flemma

Re: Timber Banks near Syracuse, New York
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
x
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »
Who was the architect?  (Prices seem very nice)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 03:51:07 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:48:56 PM »
I believe it was a design associate named Troy Vincent.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:01:15 PM »
Ron, I can't IM you now because by playing with your name, the IM brings up an error message!   It  doesn't recognize you. ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:16:08 PM »
Try it now.  Might have been the "  "
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Fred Yanni

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
I grew up and learned to play golf at Radisson Greens in Baldwinsville and am shocked they are building another course so close to Radisson in the area.   I can only comment from the pics from Timber Banks but knowing Radisson Greens inside and out, Radisson appears nicer and does a better job of hiding the development (houses) around the course.  

From the website TB's daily fees seems signifiantly more expensive as well.  

Syracuse is not in great fiancial shape as a city, and Baldwinsville and the west side of Syracuse is far from the wealthiest area of town.  I am surprised someone thought that the Baldwinsville area can support 3 courses so close together (if you include Foxfire).

Does anyone have any information on this?   I am still scratching my head in pure disbelief.  I need to make some calls....
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:47:21 PM by Fred Yanni »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 05:39:43 PM »
Fred...it is evident from your post, subtle as your words might be, that Radisson Greens should not have any competition.

You can see the housing on four holes at most.  It is at the entrance to the complex.  The entire front nine has no housing on it.  The back nine moves up toward the road, but the housing is in no way a detriment to the course...the par four and the par three (I want to say 12 and 13) are the only holes that come near the housing.

I'd hope that you can get to the course and see it for yourself.  That way, you can make a substantial comment the next time.  I could care less what someone says about the course, only that it be substantiated and thought-out.  Timber Banks is an excellent addition to golf in central New York.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Fred Yanni

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »
Ronald,

Thank you very much for the 2nd paragraph of your response.  It was very helpful.  I was concerned from the pictures on the Timber Banks website that the course was completed surrounded by houses.  It is good to know it is not.   I look forward to playing it next time I am back in Syracuse.  

Best

Fred
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:27:57 PM by Fred Yanni »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »
Thanks, Fred.  I look forward to reading the PM.

You are correct in that my tone was strong.  It seemed odd to me that the first adjective a native would use is "shocked," as opposed to "thrilled," "overjoyed" or "ecstatic."  As a result of my astonishment, I jumped quite a bit of decorum in complaining, so I apologize for that.

I am certain that there will be enough twilight rates, fall and spring rates, and other specials to make the course accessible to the locals.  As with any new course, the management has to take advantage of the buzz factor and overcharge at the beginning.  I never have a problem paying $55 or $60 for a first round of golf at a course.  Unlike many, I understand that it won't be grown in and settled at the five-year level from opening day, so i focus on the routing.  Perhaps new courses could do a better job of educating the public with a "you'll like us now, you'll love us as we mature" and offer folks a $10 or $15 off coupon for the next playing.

Foxfire is a course I've never seen...I'll make an effort to get to it and Radisson Greens the next time I am in the area.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Fred Yanni

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
Thank you R -

I should have been more clear in my post that I am always thrilled with more options to play golf but I was shocked that the area could support another course.  Especially as I know about many of the ups and downs Radisson has experienced over the years.  I know the members of a group that wanted to buy Radisson years and years ago but was rebuffed several times, much to my dismay. 

Foxfire is nothing to write home about but was fun enough to play, a few good holes here and there.  I have not played it in 15 years so I have no idea what, if anything has been done to the course.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back