News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

sanded divots are bunkers at PGA
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:07:38 PM »
they are a sandy surface.Most of the 17 tee was a bunker by the PGA and Dyes definition.And they wonder why golf participation suffers with this sorry excuse for a major.

Ronald Montesano

Re: sanded divots are bunkers at PGA
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »
Nope, because Pete Dye didn't build them that way.  The best players in the world take divots on every shot...stands to reason.  You'd prefer runway tees?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_beene

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:37:23 PM »
right or not,in the last few hours I have lost respect for Pete Dye and the PGA .I watched all seven hours and won't waste my time again.At least I saved a trip to the American Club.The PGA runs a tournament about as well as they teach golf.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
right or not,in the last few hours I have lost respect for Pete Dye and the PGA .I watched all seven hours and won't waste my time again.At least I saved a trip to the American Club.The PGA runs a tournament about as well as they teach golf.

Mike,
did you prefer the goat set-up at Pebble?
watching players with NO chance to make a putt outside 5 feet on plinko greens.

a player made a mistake in the heat of a big moment (perhaps an official could've prevented it)
It was the most exciting event I've watched in years.
I've played the course, not my cup of tea, but I thought it was a great venue for a major (well maybe not #18 ;D)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:47:56 PM »
yes I preferred Pebble.WS was interesting until the circus started.now I think of the PGA like Hogan thought of a hook.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:48:18 PM »
Mike, with respect, the only thing you've said on these thread about it is that the marshalls should have cleared the way much more than the narrow gap that they did.  They should have had the crowd well back from that BUNKER!  ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
They stuck to their rules as described in the rules sheets they distributed to every player.  Because this is a likeable guy and he's on the 72nd hole of a major championship, you want them to waver and say "oh, we didn't mean THAT particular bunker?"  I'm betting other pros hit it in bunkers where gallery members had walked, they just didn't do it in front of a handful of cameras and several million people with the title on the line.

Give the PGA some credit for sticking to their guns and not giving in to the throngs of people yelling "Let him play."

And the "run a tournament as well as they teach golf" comment is rather ridiculous.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »
Brian,the PGA is low on my list right now so I will quit posting until I cool down.No offense intended.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back