News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dustin Johnson

Who says stupid architecture doesn't matter?
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:47:17 PM »
 :'(

Ran Morrissett

Re: Who says stupid architecture doesn't matter?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
I agree with you buddy and you handled it well.

Cheers,

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »
you gots class - DJ

btw: who was your pairings rules official?

that's the Jimmy Roberts follow-up I want to hear

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
Dustin,
as a Professional Golfer, it is UP TO YOU to KNOW the RULES of the game you choose to make your living playing.
Tough Shit.
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »

Do not know as long as he did not come from this side of the pond and was not a Scotsman. Actually if he came from this side of the pond he would never have had the need to say it as the Cream always rises to the top.  ;)

Melvyn

PS Marty, Ran's been trying to improve the langue on this site and here you come along as I am shouting the merits of Scottish men. Stop letting the title of the post wear off onto you ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:27:46 PM »
Dustin - What the heck were you doin' hittin' it there on the 72d hole with the Wanamaker Trophy on nth eline??

Seriously though, i was standing next to Pete Dye and he said, "It's a bunker.  I know because I built it.  They're all bunkers.  He shouldn't be hitting it up there on that hill."
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Ron Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »
Dustin - I like your first post.  The responses on here will always be acoss the board and one has to let them slide.   I can imagine that "staying in the moment" can be hard in a Major Championship.  I wish you the best. 

Please define stupid architecture.

Don Hyslop

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »
Agreed that you handled it very well Dustin. In my humble opinion, WS could do with 1000 or so less bunkers and still have more than enough. It just seems that so many of them would have been better off just being left as rough. In many cases, the bunkers actually help someone who has driven it so far off line from a worse fate.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Ted Harris

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »
Dustin - What the heck were you doin' hittin' it there on the 72d hole with the Wanamaker Trophy on nth eline??

Seriously though, i was standing next to Pete Dye and he said, "It's a bunker.  I know because I built it.  They're all bunkers.  He shouldn't be hitting it up there on that hill."

Did Pete reiterate that his course must be better than Brandon Dunes ?????

Good luck Dustin in the Ryder Cup !!!!

Brian Ross

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »
Tough break today Dustin.  No doubt that the PGA and the Rules Committee made a poor (understatement) decision in having those "bunkers" play as bunkers.  I won't even get into why in the world they were there in the first place!  I've been following your career since you were at CCU and I was working across the road at Wild Wing Plantation.  Keep your head up, take out your frustrations on the Euros at the Ryder Cup and have no doubt that you'll win your share of majors.  Keep it up buddy!
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »

Seriously though, i was standing next to Pete Dye and he said, "It's a bunker.  I know because I built it.  They're all bunkers.  He shouldn't be hitting it up there on that hill."

Hahaha..... Classic Pete.

We all knew it was a bunker. We all knew about Whistling Straights. Perhaps if you knew anything about golf architecture, you too would have known about the architecture Mr. Johnson  ;D. You should have asked about this before you even saw the fliers posted on your mirror. Perhaps you were too busy trimming up those goofy looking sideburns.

Perhaps when you looked at your ball, lying in the SAND, you would have asked a rules official before you just go around sticking your club in the sand.

It is nobody's fault but Dustin Johnson.

It is not stupid architecture.

Its stupid rules, with stupid players.

The best player won today, and that was Martin Kaymer. Congrats.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:45:35 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 08:44:13 PM »
Are you sure he didn't say, "It's a bunker.  I know because there are 20 spectators standing in it.   Of course it is a bunker, silly!"

Brian Laurent

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
Didn't look like a bunker to me either.  Tough break.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

V. Kmetz

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
Pete Dye said that...

typical...you shouldn't hit it up there, because I thought you shouldn't recover from up there and I placed a bunker up there to tell you you shouldn't be hitting it up there...

F U Pete Dye, they haven't even established a number of bunkers made, so how do you know?

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
Pete Dye said that...

typical...you shouldn't hit it up there, because I thought you shouldn't recover from up there and I placed a bunker up there to tell you you shouldn't be hitting it up there...

F U Pete Dye, they haven't even established a number of bunkers made, so how do you know?

cheers

vk

V. Kmetz, did you loose loose your kids college tuition today or what?  Its just a game dude.

Brian Ross

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »

V. Kmetz, did you loose loose your kids college tuition today or what?  Its just a game dude.
[/quote]

Please...tell that to the guy who just lost a couple million dollars and a shot at his first major this afternoon.  I won't knock the design,  because I don't know what PD's intentions were there, but I do think it was a poor decision by the committee to allow those "bunkers" to be played as such in this tournament.  Hey, why not just let the fans trample over the entire course, greens and all?  Oh, and maybe try and respond without the trash talking and name calling, it makes you look pretty immature.

John Moore II

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
Yeah, Vic needs to lighten up just a little bit, but either way, it was a bad call. And, guys, please tell me you don't think this is DJ for real. Anybody else look at the email address?  dj@igotrobbed.com  Yeah, just an idea, but this ain't DJ.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »
Hey Guys

This is the most unusual first post on GCA!

Welcome aboard Dustin - I am sure you will come back stronger from this experience. These are the toughest rules in any sport and you handled it very well and you played some amazing golf as well. My only question for you is did you ask the referee to clarify whether it was a bunker or not?

There are 2 majors coming up in the next few years with sandy wastelands connecting to bunkers - Kiawah (2012 PGA) and Pinehurst No.2 (2014 US Open) so this should set an interesting precedent regarding bunker rules.

I wish you all the best Dustin at the Ryder Cup in Wales!

Cheers
Ben

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
Dear DJ,

What a stupid is Pete Dye!

Sincerely,
Roberto De Vicenzo

----------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:09:51 PM »

Please...tell that to the guy who just lost a couple million dollars and a shot at his first major this afternoon.  I won't knock the design,  because I don't know what PD's intentions were there, but I do think it was a poor decision by the committee to allow those "bunkers" to be played as such in this tournament.  Hey, why not just let the fans trample over the entire course, greens and all?  Oh, and maybe try and respond without the trash talking and name calling, it makes you look pretty immature.
[/quote]

Why is it OK for a player to benefit when he hits it 50 yards off line into a trampled area in the rough, but it's not OK for an area of a HAZARD to be trampled by a gallery? his lie was pretty good btw

The decision to play them as hazards, not waste was a good one by the PGA, hazards are hazards. bunkers are bunkers.
Having the gallery on top of him, plus factoring in 72nd hole pressure (and cap that off with a player who admits to having not read the rulles sheet) and you have a recipe for a player to make a poor decision-that's why I think it would've been totally appropriate for an official to have been nearby to remind him of the possibility that it  might be a hazard.
Dustin gained a lot of fans today with is class in dealing with it all.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott Warren

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
Funny that Johnson fled the site without talking to the media and is being lauded as having handled it well... there we go with our double standards again.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
Funny that Johnson fled the site without talking to the media and is being lauded as having handled it well... there we go with our double standards again.

I'm guessing you mean the formal print media.  He spoke with Feherty and others.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Moore II

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

You didn't see the interviews? He gave an interview with Feherty (I think) for CBS and then after that was over, they cut back to Dustin and he had 25 mics and recorders in front of him. I think he gave more than enough interviews.

Brian Ross

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »

Scott,

Perhaps you missed his interview....with the media...after the event

Here's the text for you...

http://www.bunkershot.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=dustin-johnson-interview-pga-championships.html&Itemid=161

Mark McKeever

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »
Sad day for the PGA of America in my opinion.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back