News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

The Most Expensive Golf Book Ever Published
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:54:02 PM »

I received a press release today for "The Most Expensive Golf Book Ever Published" and thought some of you guys might find this interesting. This book might be a good item for the golfer who has purchased or received the MacKenzie bag, because... where do you go from there to truly demonstrate your love for the game?

Enjoy...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Immediate Release:

We are please to announce that “The Golf Links of Scotland,” an ultra-deluxe, hand-tooled leather-bound tome that surely will be recognized as the ultimate hole-by-hole tour of the venerable Old Course at St. Andrews, as well as a tribute to 18 other top Scottish seaside links, will be published on September 14th.  Noted golf photographer and St. Andrews resident, Iain Macfarlane Lowe, has combined with golf authority George Peper to produce a limited edition collector’s volume that for the acquisition price of $4,600 (inclusive of shipping!) is more expensive than a luxury trip to the original home of golf.

“The Golf Links of Scotland” is an exceptional gift for the golfer who has played or aspires to play the Old Course at St. Andrews, as well as other iconic Scottish links, and for the historian or avid collector.

Pat Norton/Jane Dally
(203) 454-0232
info@oncoursegolf-pr.com

---------------------------------------------------

“The Golf Links of Scotland”

The Most Expensive Golf Book Ever Published

-Exquisite Limited Edition a Collector’s Treasure-

St. Andrews, Scotland (August 13, 2010) — “The Golf Links of Scotland,” an ultra-deluxe, hand-tooled leather-bound tome that surely will be recognized as the ultimate hole-by-hole tour of the venerable Old Course at St. Andrews, as well as a tribute to 18 other top Scottish seaside links, will be published on September 14th.    Noted golf photographer and St. Andrews resident, Iain Macfarlane Lowe, has combined with golf authority George Peper to produce a limited edition collector’s volume that for the acquisition price of $4,600 (inclusive of shipping!) is more expensive than a luxury trip to the original home of golf.

Only 150 copies of “The Golf Links of Scotland” will be printed with 145 made available for purchase.   The book is unlike any golf book ever published and the artistic blend of Lowe’s exquisite photography with Peper’s elegant and insightful prose transports the reader into an intimate appreciation of the character and nuances of every hole on the Old Course.   Novel and informative transparent overlays on aerial shots also provide useful play lines and yardages for all 18 holes and combined with the wisdom of “local knowledge” professional tips serve as a valuable guide to successfully negotiate the course.

“The Golf Links of Scotland,” is two books in one.  Book One devotes 130 pages to the Old Course and Book Two visits 18 other Scottish coastline gems in the span of 170 pages of descriptive text, playing tips and stunning photography.   Familiar names of the highlighted links include:  Royal Troon, Royal Dornoch, Carnoustie, Turnberry, Prestwick, Muirfield, Royal Aberdeen, North Berwick and Kingsbarns.

As a further personalized touch to the 145 editions, Lowe has signed and numbered an exclusive, unpublished photograph printed on the highest quality fine art paper and bound into each book, making it suitable for framing.  “The Golf Links of Scotland” is handsomely presented in a hand-made clamshell case.  The oversized book’s leather binding is graced with 23-carat gold leaf inlay that includes four thistles on the cover corners.   Lowe, acclaimed as St. Andrews’ “official” golf photographer, spent four years capturing the most majestic shots of the courses represented.  Additionally, four spectacular double-gatefolds (50” x 12”) are inserted to give the reader an even closer look at some of these renowned courses.

“The Golf Links of Scotland” is an exceptional gift for the golfer who has played or aspires to play the Old Course at St. Andrews, as well as other iconic Scottish links, and for the historian or avid collector.  To order “The Golf Links of Scotland,” contact Iain Lowe at iain@golflinksofscotland.com or for more information and sample pages visit www.golflinksofscotland.com.  After January 1, 2011, the book will cost $5,000. 
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Phil_the_Author

Re: The Most Expensive Golf Book Ever Published
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
I've got to get my Tilly course book finished... Evidently there are a good number of people in the U.K. who really will purchase the Brooklyn Bridge...

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
Utterly ludicrous.  First off Lowe already produced a book about Scottish Links.  So how much of this is a rehash of that?  And how many books can there possibly be about the Old Course now?  Did they find out that William Wallace actually laid out the links or something like that?  If not, what in the world could they have in the book that is different than any one of 100 books about the Old Course.  

People wonder why the golf book market sales don't do anything.  Maybe they should look at the fact that nothing new ever gets published.... >:(

And when it does it is by a small publisher and none of the big houses will take it on and promote it...

Ok, my rant is over.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
Should be a shoo in for USGA book of the year. 

Brian Freeman

Re: The Most Expensive Golf Book Ever Published New
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
Or, for $4600, you can plan a trip over there, airfare included, to all these great courses and take your own $%&* pictures.  Your call...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:55:30 AM by Brian Freeman »

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:30:07 PM »
Either this is a joke or by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I love books on golf, but why the hell would anyone pay $5,000 for a golf book that no one even knows if it's good or interesting?
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Mr. Whitaker,

Never has it been more clear to me the ocean-like expanse between yourself and me.  The closest email I get to this would be my weekly Harris Teeter specials.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:39:47 PM »
Either this is a joke or by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I love books on golf, but why the hell would anyone pay $5,000 for a golf book that no one even knows if it's good or interesting?

Maybe it's just targeted at those folks that pay $15,000 for that 4 minute workout machine...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:40:50 PM »

Maybe it's just targeted at those folks that pay $15,000 for that 4 minute workout machine...

Mr. Whitaker's physique suggests he works out for a lot longer than 4 minutes.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:10:41 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mac Plumart

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
You guys are such "posers".  Anyone who is a TRUE golfer would have at least two of these books!!   

I've already got mine ordered.  8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
'Hand Tooled'

and, yes, you will right, Royally, be.

don't mention it,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »
After reading some of Peper's articles and editorials, you won't catch me buying an expensive book by him.
Of course, you wouldn't find me buying expensive books anyway.

Can I get that on Kindle?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »

Mr. Whitaker's physique suggests he works out for a lot longer than 4 minutes.

:) That's funny, I never even connected your post and mine. Well done.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_F

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
I'd better put down my dogs.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 05:47:57 PM »

It’s all relative

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »

It’s all relative

Melvyn

You're related to George Peper too!?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »
Garland

You name them and to please some of the guys on this site I will try to find a blood line, but in this case I believe he has a connection to or partnership with George Salt and not yours truly.

Melvyn

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
when does the paperback come out ?

David_Elvins

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 11:45:24 AM »
Have they not heard of the GFC?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
First I will need to have Abbie Hoffman write a forward .................

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

DMoriarty

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
Whoops,  I thought this thread was about how much it would cost Morrison to vanity publish his Flynn tome.

Or, for $4600, you can plan a 9 day trip, airfare included, to all these great courses and take your own $%&* pictures.  Your call...

Nine days?   Who has that kind of time?  With a picture book they can get the same experience in a matter of minutes.   And the pictures are what many want anyways.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Brad Klein

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
I'm awaiting my review copy for Golfweek and promise not to put it up for offer on eBay.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
Brad - you and I had the same thoughts when we got the release!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »
Garland,

That was funny about having it on a Kindle.
Kind of defeats the purpose of the book having all those purdy pictures in a large format and then squeezing them down to a small B&W screen.
Maybe printed books will be left to the coffee table market.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back