News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Slag_Bandoon

Arbory Brae Hickory Golf Course,  Scotland
« on: March 03, 2002, 11:33:07 AM »
 In Links magazine March 2002, there is a small article on page 20 about a rediscovered and refurbished Willie Fernie golf course in Abington, Scotland.  Anyone ever play it?  (I know this is a long shot)  
  Basically, it's a wee 1,858 yard niner (course record 34!) that you play with hickory sticks and gutta percha balls.  Groovy.  

www.hickorygolf.co.uk          (Fun site)

I have some flex time so I think I'll check it out.  Who knows, maybe I'll find out I'm a natural with the Hickory and give up the technogame chase.  Titanium!? Polymers!? Bah!    For noodle-armed dandies!          
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Ran Morrissett

Re: Arbory Brae Hickory Golf Course,  Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2002, 01:01:53 PM »
Slag,

When I read the article, it reminded me of two things:

1) a group of four Americans who have gone to the UK the past 5/6 years with nothing but hickory clubs and who play the off-beat tracks (not as off beat as Arbory Brae but Machrie, Shiskine, Machrihanish, etc.).

2) rather than whining about technology, why don't more people take matters in their own hand i.e. find a group of similarly minded people and agree to only play pre-1980 clubs?

Cheers,

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2002, 09:41:40 AM »
Those brothers must be gifted to hand-sew gutta percha balls. ;)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Richard_Goodale

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2002, 12:53:05 PM »
Slag

Abington is not the centre of the non-golf sub-universe of Scotland, but you can see it from there!  Do what you wish (as you surely will ::)).  If you're planning on a detour from Lanark, do New Lanark instead--where Robert Owen built and perfected what he dreamed New Harmony to have been.

Slainte

Ricardo

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2002, 01:53:09 PM »
Rich, couldn't agree with you more about New Lanark, I really enjoyed my glimpse of a visionary's achievements there.  Shame he couldn't transfer the success to the US.

Slag, I had a look at Arbory Brae as part of my research for 'Ratho', Australia's oldest golf course (here in the highlands of Tasmania).  They are doing a great job of making hickory golf entertaining, educational and enjoyable.  Like the Oakhurst Links, I hope it becomes a popular feature in the scottish golfing landscape.  Unfortunately it is not by the ocean, and not close to the existing golfing route, so I think they might have a challenge ahead of them.  The International Hickory Challenge at Kilspindie in 2000 was great, links golf, on the ocean, stone walls, all just right.  Arbory Brae misses some of that magic in my opinion

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2002, 11:20:44 PM »
 I'll check out New Lanark but I'm not filling out any applications for commune work as I will be on vacation. Maybe we'll buy some beads or bark art.   Do the May pole dancers swing there?
I corresponded with Alfie Ward - one of the Arbory Brae brothers - and he promised me a round of golf with the ghosts of Old Tom and James Braid - as Willie Fernie will be shopping on that day for jute sandals.  How can I pass that up?  Besides, it's not that far off the beaten path between North Berwick and Prestwick.  I'll pack some kelp in my golf bag for the links ambiance.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back