News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Old Mac 10th in Golf Magazine Top 100 you can play
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2010, 02:37:47 PM »

Gents:

In regards to new courses -- a waiting period of no less than two years would be a good thing to avoid the quick impulses that too many people provide.

I've never quite understood this logic. Sure, there are some things in life -- golf courses among them -- that it may take awhile to realize their greatness. But some things -- the Pretenders 1st album, for instance -- are instantly recognizable as great. Why not a golf course?

Phil:

I agree in general ... in fact, there's a whole thread going on right now about "love at first sight" golf courses.

At the same time, could you judge where The Pretenders fit in with other great musical groups, based on your first listen to that one album?  It's one thing to say they belong, but another to say WHERE they belong, exactly.  So I agree with you, and with Matt.  But I'm glad they are doing the rankings asap, anyway.  ;)

Tom:

When the Pretenders first album came out, in 1980, it was (for me, a pretty fanatical musical devotee at the time) instantly better, on one hearing, than 99.8 percent of everything else that was being released at the time. Thirty years later, it still stands out as a terrific album -- never quite matched by the group, largely because James Honeyman-Scott and his ethereal guitar work died of a cocaine overdose two years later. Where that particular album stands in the annals of rock-n-roll is different for me than where the group stands (perhaps similar to how one architect's course stands out beyond the body of his work).

To me, in golf, it was Lawsonia. First time I set foot on that course, I knew it was a) different, and b) great. Subsequent plays have revealed many different aspects to the course that I didn't appreciate or even see the first time around (like how to really play the 8th hole), but the sense of it being great was evident the first time around.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Jim/Mike/Paul
IMHO Cog Hill was always a great course, maybe better 10 years ago than now but always great.  I first played it in the 80s then managed to return a dozen times since but not in the past 4 years (2006 was my last round there).  I loved every bit of it, excepting maybe the 9th hole.   Amazingly I have only played Cog Hill in shotguns and look forward to any of its TV appearances.
 :)
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Botimer

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2010, 04:29:18 PM »
I will be fascinated to hear what the reaction is from the "average" golfer two years down the road.

Me, too.  I'd also like to know the average guy's reaction now, two months after opening.  Have they taken to it as much as the GCA freaks have?  i.e. how popular has OM been to Bandon's overall clientele? 

Just finished caddying a job in which the best player, an 8th grader with 6 handicap, thought Trails and OM were the two best.

Old Mac is holding up very well, highly regarded by most, excepting poor putters  and/or average iron players.  On average, it is the 2nd favorite course at the resort, usually behind Pac.  The consensus is that it is a great addition to the resort because it is the most Scottish (that's a compliment!) and so different than the others.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »
David, great to hear opinions "from the coalface", do you and others here think that all golfers Inc poor putters an d average iron players should be Inc in an assessment of a golf courses merits?

Should all golfers if they are inexperienced and poorly skilled have their opinions discounted(and separately how do we assist in their helping them see the quality of a course)?

It is very easy to see how the OM greens could send a poor putter to schedule a conversation with the devil !
@theflatsticker

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
JC,
If memory serves they had special preview days for Old Macdonald before June 1 when pesumably a number of raters played the entire course. One was an invitational Evans Scholar event in early May  but I think the raters came mid-month,about 50 or so. Maybe someone can validate or correct.

David Botimer

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »
David, great to hear opinions "from the coalface", do you and others here think that all golfers Inc poor putters an d average iron players should be Inc in an assessment of a golf courses merits?

Should all golfers if they are inexperienced and poorly skilled have their opinions discounted(and separately how do we assist in their helping them see the quality of a course)?

It is very easy to see how the OM greens could send a poor putter to schedule a conversation with the devil !

Brett, good questions.  My answer wasn't intended to depict the opinions of players in the context of a course's architectural merits.  I was simply responding to the question "how popular has OM been to Bandon's overall clientele?"

I put this idea in the same camp as the public's general perception of Bandon Trails.  Trails is frequently the favorite course of above average players and rarely the favorite of below average players.  The closing stretch of 14-18 simply beats up so many they walk off discouraged and appear to translate that to "I don't like this course".  Coincidingly, poor putters / iron players walk off Old Mac and respond with similar chagrin.  Yet most at least walk off Old Mac saying "that was fun!".

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back