News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Spence

Re: You had me at hello
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
Bethpage Black: standing around the first tee waiting for my time really built up the anticipation...and nerves

Ocean Course: Had dinner at the clubhouse the night before and the wind was blowing so hard that the flags on the practice green looked like they were going to break in two.

Banff: Just an amazing setting.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »
B)  The Orchards, Kinloch and Taconic all start out ( for me) with nondescript holes, so that initial "Hello" did not do it.  By the third hole on both courses, I was smitten. 

Interesting that your "smitten-ness" at Kinloch coincided with the beginning of the -3 under in 4 hole stretch.   ;D

But to be fair to Ron, I've seen him love courses that have beaten him down.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »
A few off the top of my head:

Prairie Dunes
Riviera
Sand Hills
Bandon/Pacific/Old Mac
Spyglass
LACC North
Medinah #3
Cherry Hills

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:36 AM »
Kiawah Ocean

The Golf Club

Cuscowilla
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Whitmer

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 11:31:28 AM »
The Golf Club, Bandon Dunes, and Ballyneal. We got to Bandon Dunes about 11:00 at night, and were then off first the next morning. My "wow" moment was when I climbed from the 2nd green to the 3rd tee and saw the ocean, and much of the golf course below me. I couldn't reach for my camera fast enough.

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 11:38:28 AM »
The first at Kingsley is a remarkable start - truly an arresting hole. Had me for sure.

Ballyneal is a no brainer.

The first green at Yeamans is very cool as well.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »
NGLA, TOC, RCD and Boston Golf Club.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jim Briggs

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Lahinch - I've only been overseas to play on one trip to SW Ireland and Lahinch was the first links I played there.  I've described my feelings while playing as being near mystical/religious.  Fell in love with it early, and cant wait to go back.

Hidden Creek - The Pat Mucci test of wanting to go straight from 18 to the first tee...I knew I was going to want to go straight back to 1 after the first couple of holes.  So many times I walked off greens (and still do) not realizing some subtle contour making the comment "damn those guys (C&C) are good"

Rich Brittingham

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
I agree with Ron, #1 at Royal New Kent is so wild, you have no idea where to hit over all these huge dunes.   Just from the "wow" factor, its the best.  We were just staring at the hole for 30 minuites prior to our tee time.  plus you can't really see any of the other holes on the course so you are just left to wonder what else lies ahead of you.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »
Bethpage Black: standing around the first tee waiting for my time really built up the anticipation...and nerves

One really didn't grab me at first (except for the nerves), and it took a little contemplation to fully appreciate the great use of angles and blindness at #2&3.  And then I marked my ball on the third green and looked up…….

“Oooaaaaahhhnnn”

I don’t know how to spell the sound I made, but it is that combination of getting your breath taken away coupled with a sense of awe upon first viewing beauty that you didn’t think could possibly exist.  I was stunned by the panorama before me.  I'm thrilled that my first sighting was not spoiled by the inclusion of fan-lined fairways or intrusive grandstands.  Back that up with the one of the greatest Par 4s in the world, and Bethpage is a keeper.

Richard Choi

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
Anthony, I will certainly dive a little further...

Pacific, Bandon, Trails, CB - I was taken even before I hit a single shot. The sea, dunes, that authentic links feel. Does not get much better than that. Pretty much the same without the sea at Ballyneal.

Plainfield - The way the fairway bunkers look from the tee and that magnificent green at #1 was all I needed to be taken.

BPB - How could you not be psyched after spending the night in your car and seeing that warning sign before the 1st tee?

BCrosby

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2010, 12:00:42 PM »
Mac -

Agreed about Cusco. From the first moment I saw the first hole, a short, strategic par 4, I was a goner.

Bob

Tim Pitner

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:22 PM »
Lahinch.  I was hooked the night before--our B&B overlooked the town and the heaving dunes that comprise the golf course--just magical. 

jonathan_becker

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2010, 12:13:39 PM »
I'll pick a few off the top of my head....

Stone Eagle - best vistas anywhere

Kiawah - never has so much pain and pleasure been mixed in a round of golf for myself like at The Ocean Course

The Dunes Club (both of them) - the one in Myrtle Beach because of the little elevation changes right at sea level for a notoriously flat area of the country....and the great, but not overused bunkering.  The one in New Buffalo because it's the absolute basics that make it what it is.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »
Merion......just the sounds of the knives and forks clattering

Ballyneal....before you even see the course, as the dunes start to rise out of nowhere

Pine Valley....at the front gate

Royal Birkdale...at the very first sight of the dunes as clubhouse as your make your way down the driveway

Sand Hills...after the drive from the clubhouse, you make that final turn and there before you is the sight of the entire course...marvelous

Cypress Point....simple,  just being on 17 mile drive

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
While not on anyone's list of greatest courses I fell in love with Olde Mill GC (Groundhog Mountain) before hitting the first tee shot. Just a wonderful serene setting... pretty good golf as well.

World Woods as well but that is as much from just being so different than the "typical Florida course" that I grew so tired of during a decade there.  

Grandfather G&CC same reasons as Olde Mill and much better golf. Just a special place.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:24:40 PM by Greg Tallman »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
I had been a member of the GCSAA as an affiliate around 1995 and had read the article on Sand Hills GC in their magazine, with an interview with its first super during the grow-in.  I decided on a separate trip to CO for another non-golf reason, to take a detour to go and see what was up with that place.  Well, I met the second super Cory, and it was before official opening that season (early May 96).  I also met old Tom who was out working on the course.  But, Cory let me go out on the course carte blanche and have as long as I wanted to explore.  That detour up there and the course exploration was where I fell in love with the Sand Hills.  Of course, I knew I couldn't afford a memberhip, nor would I fit into that sort of national member model.  But...

Subsequent to that, my daughter picked Creighton Uni out of high school to attend.  In that mean time, I had heard that the gents who did much of the construction at Sand Hills were involved in a little community course out in Gothenburg NE.  So, I dropped my daughter off in Omaha, and took a few days to drive out there to see what was up.  I drove into the old dusty road, and got out of the car before reaching the club house where the first green walking path crosses the road to 2nd tee.  I looked around at the 15th 17th greens and what FWs you could see, and I said, this is everything I ever believed in for a golf course.

I went into the clubhouse and made some contact and asked about Dave and DAn's work there, and asked if they were selling memberships.  I learned just how much it was a true community project and that it was all done for under 1.5 million.  The entire conception and execution of this community plan was my ideal of what golf should be. They explained that it is just a yearly fee of <$500 walking unlimitted golf, and shared cart lease was double that.  But they said if I were a NE resident, I could buy a share.  Well, I instantly knew what that was all about, as I myself had tried to organize a club back in WI on the model of an intra-state share offering with a periphery homesite sales project. Wild Horse was the exact model and concept I had tried and failed to bring about, 5 years earlier, to the detail that I had thought they somehow got ahold of our prospectus and totally copied it.  But they did not, it was total serendipity.  But, I was not an NE resident and couldn't participate in that, but asked about the lots.  There was one left of the 39 in the project.  So, hearing the incredibly low price, I bougth it on the spot, just wanting to be involved in that project in anyway I could.

Yes, Wild Horse really had me at hello.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
C)  I disagree on the Bandon Dunes suggestion...I cannot imagine that any of those four courses (and I know that the original Dunes course was the target of dismay) could be played relentlessly and forgotten.  Disney (or was it MGM) at Bandon?  Cracker, Please!

I am making my first return to Bandon since 1999 in 3 weeks so my only encounter is with the now somewhat maligned original course.  But my memories of the place are wonderful.  Will see how I still feel 3 weeks from now, but if it suffers it can only be by comparison

D)  Royal New Kent had me at Hello, as did Stonehouse.  Stonehouse eventually lost me, although Royal New Kent was very rocky all the way round.  Speaking of RNK, has anyone else banged a shot off the dude's window behind #16?  S.O.B. sits there and keeps your golf ball, although he'll engage in pleasant conversation.

When I played there with my 7 year old 3 weeks ago I missed left so he didn't get my ball.  But he was certainly hovering.  You really have to wonder about grumpy folks who buy houses on golf courses and then get irritated with balls flying in their yard.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
Some of these are repeat, but here are mine:

National (no explanation needed)
Royal County Down (simply brilliant, as if the world's finest landscape artist assisted the design team...)
Merion (The wicker basket in the distance and the patio on the left of the first tee...I will never forget my first time playing there)

Pac Dunes, but not until hole 3

last, but not least:

Little Mill Golf Club, (South Jersey) 1972. First hole is Par 4 dogleg left with pond inside dogleg, first hole I ever played with my Dad. I had just been cut from the freshman baseball team, my sports world was a wreck...but when I saw this hole, I knew everything was gonna work out OK..

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »

D)  Royal New Kent had me at Hello, as did Stonehouse.  Stonehouse eventually lost me, although Royal New Kent was very rocky all the way round.  Speaking of RNK, has anyone else banged a shot off the dude's window behind #16?  S.O.B. sits there and keeps your golf ball, although he'll engage in pleasant conversation.

When I played there with my 7 year old 3 weeks ago I missed left so he didn't get my ball.  But he was certainly hovering.  You really have to wonder about grumpy folks who buy houses on golf courses and then get irritated with balls flying in their yard.

That's what comes from an improperly measured Long Par 4.  The total distance on that hole has to be off by at least 30 yards.  We all hit pretty decent drives and only shaved off 205 yards from the total hole distance, so something is seriously amiss.  But since it's called a Par 4 (rather than the Par 5 it really is), everyone tries to get home in 2 and inevitably ends up in the bunkers 30 yards short of the green.

You make amateur hacks try to hit a 40-50 yard bunker shot uphill, and 40% are just getting out, 5% are getting on the green, and 55% are picked too clean & banged off the houses behind.  You could tell from the old guys this has to happen at least once in every other group.

Lester George

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
Seminole
Ocean Course
TOC
Dornoch
Sutton Bay
Sand Hills
James River

and a few more...

Lester

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »
Another course that had me at Hello is Royal St Georges. From the moment I exited the car park I was in love... with the clubhouse... with the lunch... and, especially with the course, which just might be the best I have ever played!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 05:46:23 PM »
Old White--Great opening look from the tee box.

CC of Farmington (CT)--The first tee is right by the patio so if you tee off between 11:30 and 2 (roughly), there are often people eating lunch and watching you.  The first hole is a charming 285 yard par 4.

Tobacco Road

Caledonia
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »
Old Town Club
Huntercombe
Pennard
Sandwich
Kington

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Shawn Arlia

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
My home course of Sleepy Hollow, a public golf course owned by the Cleveland metroparks.  I remember I was 17yrs old and at that time they were building the new clubhouse, so there was a trailer that they were using as a substitute. So I get out of the car, and pay my green fees, and as im walking to the tee, im totally awestruck by the view of the course! The bunkering, the huge trees, the rolling terrain, and the awesome vista we were afforded being atop of the hill. I was smitten then and every time i go back the feeling in my gut just reaffirms my initial impression.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back