News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview No. 2 with Bob Harrison is posted
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:41:20 AM »
When Bob and Greg Norman split ways in October 2009, Norman Design lost the architect responsible for their three best courses to date (National Moonah, Nirwana Bali, and Ellerston) and within seven months, Norman Design had shut down their Australasia office. That's a crushing blow for a design firm whose best work is located in that part of the world (which by the way, is the part of the world where new course construction is still occurring).

Good luck to Norman Design but Ben and I are much more interested in following the exploits of Bob Harrison going forward as he has a proven track record of delivering. In fact, he is one of less than ~ ten living architects who has proven himself capable of building several courses that rank in the world top two hundred. We hope that under his own name, he gets sites that will allow him to continue to do so.

As a seasoned campaigner, Bob has built big, bruising courses (The Glades) and crafty courses (The Grand) and worked on Golden Age courses (New South Wales GC). He has worked on severe sites in Japan and uninteresting ones in Queensland but always finds ways to bring forward interesting golf. Based on his resume, he isn't as well known as he should be as the bulk of his work is found in Australasia. Even then, a stunner like Ellerston that he built for the Australian legend Packer gets next to no visibility.

What should have been a big moment publicity-wise occurred when the Australian Open was held at The Grand in 2001 but the pros did a relatively poor job in handling some of the finesse and 1/2 par holes and whined and whined. They tried overpowering the course and didn't like it when some of the holes snarled back. It was great lesson in how a (relatively) modest length course could hold the pros at bay.

Like most really good architects, Bob isn't a really good golfer. In fact, he is one of the few people in the world that I don't harangue for strokes 8) I once saw him scatter the range at Royal Sydney from the eighteenth tee, an epic howling hook of great majesty and distance that made us all envious. Regardless of his play,  he is one of the easiest people to spend time around with his Australian charm and wit always in full force (except when his rugby team loses). The point is that Bob has the sort of personality that works well with 99% of the owners out there, which is a crucial ingredient to successful projects these days.

Please refer to his first interview on this site (April 2000) and to his web site www.harrisongolf.com.au for more information.

Cheers,

Phil_the_Author

Re: Feature Interview No. 2 with Bob Harrison is posted
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 08:13:16 PM »
Ran,

Thank you for stating what had to be said... "world top two hundred..."

It is time that we begin recognizing that quality, no, GREAT golf courses both have and are being built world-wide and not just in the United States. Most of us will never get to play or even see them; and its about time that has happened for most of the world of golfers will never get to play or even see the great courses of the U.S.

The game has gone global without anyone planning or controling its growth, and that is something to both celebrate and marvel at. We may be seeing courses in the U.S. close and architects out of work, but the game is growing and architects are working elsewhere, many whose names we not only don't recognize but might never have even known.

I am looking forward to enjoying this interview with Bob...

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »
"an emphasis on delicate chipping"

Great comment
And kudos on your new website Bob - looks great
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:16 AM »
Great work there Ran (and Bob). Really enjoyable reading.

For those not overly familiar with golf in Australia, Harrison has been the mainstay of Greg Norman's design firm here, and along with Harley Cruise and other GWS staff, has almost a 100% strike rate (from more than 12 new courses) in designing something accepted within the nation's Top 50.

It will be very interesting to see what Bob does now. There are a great number who wish him lots of luck.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
Thanks for the interview Ran... In terms of the work Bob did at NSW, he was ultimately correct regarding the revetting of the bunkers. Much as we'd like to have blow out areas near the greens it's simply not practical from the playing and maintenance perspective.

They should have sent Bob himself along to explain that to the membership instead of GWS.

Moonah National is a fabulous course. But  the Vintage makes it too hard for the first timer to figure out what and where you should hit from the tee...
Next!

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 01:00:08 AM »
Thanks for the interview Ran and Bob

Having seen all of the Harrsion & Norman courses in Australia with the exception of one - I must say I have been impressed by by the overall quality of them. I look forward to seeing what Bob is able to produce next up.

Dustin Knight

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:58:34 AM »

Ran,

A Wonderful interview with a legend of course design in this part of the world. I fortunately had the pleasure of catching up with Bob
while at Barnbougle and Lost Farm back in May. I am sure we all wish him great success with his own design firm and anticipate
many great designs to come.
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back