News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Classic links courses - Hard walks
« on: July 29, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
Which classic links course have the hardest walks and why?

Is it because of certain elements of the routing?... Is it because of the length?... The wind?... Is it because the dunes are so great?... If so, are the big climbs through the green or are they green to tee?

Are there any classic links courses that best suit a cart / buggy?

Sven Nilsen

Re: Classic links courses - Hard walks
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 11:46:33 AM »
In Ireland:

Tough walks (would think about taking a cart) - European Club, Ballybunion Cashen

Tough but enjoyable walks (would never take a cart) - RCD, Ballybunion Old

Reasonable walks - Lahinch, Portmarnock, Doonbeg

The biggest factor in a tough walk for me is the elevation changes, especially between holes.  The wind can play a factor as well.  For example, at Ballybunion I was exhausted by the time we reached the sixth green just from trudging into a head wind for the first third of the course.

TEC had one additional factor that pushed it to the top of the tough walk scale, the amount of time spent crawling up and down the rough areas looking for errant drives. 

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »
I did 36 at CRUDEN BAY and there's more than a fair ammount of climbing involved.

What say ye Mr Gray? ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:28:52 PM »
Royal Dornoch is a pretty good walk. There is a good climb from the 4th green up to the 5th tee. Then a much bigger climb from the 6th green up to the 7th tee. The 16th hole is uphill from tee to green. Then there is a nice climb from the lower 17th fairway to the 17th green and up to the 18th tee. Plus, there are 2 steep downhill streches in the 8th & 17th fairways.

No buggys please! ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
The climb from the 18th green to the clubhouse at Crail Balcomie is really hard work.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:38:28 PM »
The climb from the 18th green to the clubhouse at Crail Balcomie is really hard work.

Especially when your partner just hit it to 8ft then three-stabbed to cost you the game ;D

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:20:10 PM »

Especially when your partner just hit it to 8ft then three-stabbed to cost you the game ;D
[/quote
I think you were well inside 8 feet, to be honest.........
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »

Luckily your reward awaits within!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »

One certainly hopes not!
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
Ally, I can honestly say I have never played a links course - a true links course - that has made me wish for a buggy.

The afternoon round at Pennard may put that to the test in September at the Buda!

Steve Kline

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »
After walking 36 on back to back days at Carne and then Enniscrone I was beat. Those are the only two courses in the UK that I have found to be hard walks. Dornoch and 36 at Crudeness Bay were easy.

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:18:58 PM »
As I recall, Rosses Point was a bit of a walk as was Tralee.

Scott Warren

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 03:30:19 AM »

I initially typed 5ft, then changed it. I'm still pretty embarrassed about that whenever it crosses my mind... which is most nights as I fall sleep!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 04:05:48 AM »

I initially typed 5ft, then changed it. I'm still pretty embarrassed about that whenever it crosses my mind... which is most nights as I fall sleep!

I think you were nearer the mark at 5ft.  Being one of the beneficiairies of that putt can I just say
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

The hardest walk I can recall is from 12th green to 13th tee at Castle Stuart.

Carts/buggies on a classic links course - no way!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
After walking 36 on back to back days at Carne and then Enniscrone I was beat. Those are the only two courses in the UK that I have found to be hard walks.

Steve - sorry to be picky but the courses you name are in Ireland not the UK.
Cave Nil Vino

Steve Kline

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »
I'm 'Merican. It's all UK to me.  ;D

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »
After walking 36 on back to back days at Carne and then Enniscrone I was beat. Those are the only two courses in the UK that I have found to be hard walks. Dornoch and 36 at Crudeness Bay were easy.

Most of the talk has understandably been about big climbs, whether green to tee or in play... Sometimes I can lose a little energy because of a routing decision... There are occasions when I'm heading back towards a clubhouse on a back nine only to be turned around and be taken back in the opposite direction - occasionally this can sap the energy if feeling a little lethargic... Out and back courses can be tough if the second nine is playing in to the prevailing wind... Also links courses set up with narrow fairways and tough rough also can sap energy because of the time spent looking for balls....

I've always found Lahinch a fun and relatively straight forward walk but I was chatting to a couple of raters lately who take it down a notch or two because they no longer consider it an easy walk at their age...

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
Steve - it doesn't wash, we know the difference between the USA, Canada and Mexico  ;)
Cave Nil Vino

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »
Which classic links course have the hardest walks and why?

Is it because of certain elements of the routing?... Is it because of the length?... The wind?... Is it because the dunes are so great?... If so, are the big climbs through the green or are they green to tee?

Playing Gullane#1 and #2 was fun, but definately  a challenging walk!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »

I've always found Lahinch a fun and relatively straight forward walk but I was chatting to a couple of raters lately who take it down a notch or two because they no longer consider it an easy walk at their age...

[/quote]

Really?  Perhaps whatever entity they rate for may need an age limit.  Or at least two categories of rated courses, one for pansies and one for real golfers.  Give me the dunes and elevation any day over something that feels like I'm on the treadmill at the gym. 
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Steve Kline

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
Steve - it doesn't wash, we know the difference between the USA, Canada and Mexico  ;)

You know the difference, but 'Mericans don't know jack.  ;D

I of course know the difference but was typing faster than I was thinking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back