News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Archie Baird in Gullane
« on: March 08, 2002, 07:40:38 AM »
I have just returned from a great day of golf history, golf, and lunch with a pint of Belhaven 80.

I wanted to let anyone who has not had the pleasure of Gullane and that may be heading there for the Open to make an appointment to visit Archie Baird's golf history museum.

What an absolute gentleman.  Two of my friends and I met him during a lecture on the history of North Berwick as a vacation stop, when most people never thought of vacations.

Later we set an appointment and we met him this morning and enjoyed a morning reviewing old clubs, balls, and art memorabilia from surrounding areas of Scotland.  The bonus was that he invited us to a game on Gullane No. 3 with his dog Bogey, when his wife's not around and Brody if she is.

Rain and wind opened the round and later on the rain quit and we enjoyed a windy/fun round.  It was my first round in Gullane and No. 3 rarely gets any reviews next to No.1 and No.3, but I would say there are plenty of fun holes...short course compared to the others.  But a great round of golf with a guy that could be the mayor of golf in a town that truly has its share of golf courses.  New Luffness is right next to No.3 Gullane and Muirfield is right up the road as is N. Berwick and an addition of 36 holes is being built in Archerfield Estates.

So if any of you are planning an Open trip this summer give archie a call and he will definitely be willing to show you the history of the game and he may even have a pint with you...or if you catch him on the right day a round of golf may be up his sleeve....just be careful because about after the first hole he will have analyzed your game and he will insist on a match of some type!  The museum is next to the Gullane Pro Shop.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

BCrosby

Re: Archie Baird in Gullane
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2002, 11:21:49 AM »
I will be there in August and look him up.  Thanks for the tip.

Bob

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2002, 06:37:31 PM »
RC,

I met Archie in 1992.

I liked him, and his dog.

He was very nice and helpful to our group.

He has written a book, "Golf on Gullane Hill" which I have an autographed copy of.  I also corresponded with him for a while.  

You meet the nicest people through golf !

Leslie_Claytor

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2002, 06:47:48 PM »
I spent an afternoon w/ Archie several years ago and I'm happy to hear he is still continuing hosting golfers in Gullane.  It was a pleasure to experience his museum and see some of the collectables and art work he has amassed.

I was lucky enough to drive around Gullane No. I with him, and to tour Muifield. Come to think of it, I even got to see the locker room of the Hon. Gentlemen, certainly one of the most memorable buildings in golf.  The locker room was thick with tradition and understated class.

Archie is one of the great ambassadors of golf and a great resource on Scottish golf history.  If you're in the area, please look him up.

Greg Ramsay

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2002, 05:11:17 PM »
Archie has certainly entertained and educated many visiting golfers to that area.  When I was doing some research in Ed'burgh in yr 2000 about Australia's Oldest Golf Course I came across a potential connection btwn the Park family and those early golfers here in Tasmania.  So we met in Gullane and discussed this, and before I knew it we'd toured Archie's museum and were playing Muirfield!  I'll never forget a few wonderful words that Archie muttered on the second holes, when after he cut his shot into the rough, and we had looked for a few minutes he said
"God didnae gi'e me the rest of me days to look for lost golf balls" so he promptly tossed a fresh one onto the fairway and away we went.  A wonderful philosophy, and all the more reason for wider fairways and lighter rough (a la Mackenzie)

I believe Archie was also involved in Tom Doak becoming involved in an exciting golf development neighbouring Muirfield, called Archerfield.  Not sure what is happening with that one, I thought it had some big money behind it.

Greg Ramsay
www.barnbougledunes.com

lesueur

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2002, 02:36:56 PM »
Greg,

I believe that Tom Doak did a routing for Archerfield, but it didn't go any further. An English Architect called David Williams has recently started construction on the 36 hole project which backs on to Muirfield. I think they plan to open the first course next summer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back