News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith OHalloran

Pros Speak about Old White
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:19:49 PM »
On another thread, Brandon wondered what the pros would shoot on Old White. I Watched a preview on Gofl Channel and they interviewed some players about the course. I believe it was Scott MacCarron that said that the pros would have wedges in their hands a lot and that the winning score could be around 20 under par.  I guess we shall see.

And another pro said that an architect would be crucified if he built a green like the 18th today.  I know you guys love those types of comments.

Jim Franklin

Re: Pros Speak about Old White
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
I love the horseshoe on #18 green as the variety of pin placements and difficulty (or ease) is dictated by your iron shot. I think the pros will shoot 20 under as well. Especially if they do not speed the greens up. I can't wait to watch it though.
Mr Hurricane

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
20 under is fine.  Let them make birdies.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:55:27 PM »
If the rough isn't really long, -20 is about right for a winning score, IMO.  And that will make for four exciting days for players and spectators alike.  It's going to be an awesome tournament.  Can't wait to watch.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Greg Tallman

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »
I will be surprised if the winning score is not -25 or better and 60 is broken at least once.

John Moore II

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:44:24 PM »
I will be surprised if the winning score is not -25 or better and 60 is broken at least once.

-25 I can see, possibly, just given the yardage that I can see on the holes. 59 I don't really see happening, even on an easy course shooting that low is difficult, and thats not to say The Old White is easy.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »

-25 I can see, possibly, just given the yardage that I can see on the holes. 59 I don't really see happening, even on an easy course shooting that low is difficult, and thats not to say The Old White is easy.
Based on the fact that it's just a shade over 7,000 yards?  There are six par 4s that are 440 yards or longer (three of them being 470 or longer) and two par 3s that can play as long as 225 yards.  There are only two par 5s on the course.  I will be very, very surprised if -20 is eclipsed.

TPC at River Highlands is 6,841 yards  (par 70) and -25 is never challenged there.  Kenny Perry won at -22 in 2009, when there had been a lot of rain and the golf course was very soft.  There hasn't been too much rain at the Greenbrier the last couple weeks, so it should play firm enough to keep the tournament from being the type of dart-throwing contest that Stricker won at the John Deere.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »

Based on the fact that it's just a shade over 7,000 yards?  There are six par 4s that are 440 yards or longer (three of them being 470 or longer) and two par 3s that can play as long as 225 yards.  There are only two par 5s on the course.  I will be very, very surprised if -20 is eclipsed.

TPC at River Highlands is 6,841 yards  (par 70) and -25 is never challenged there.  Kenny Perry won at -22 in 2009, when there had been a lot of rain and the golf course was very soft.  There hasn't been too much rain at the Greenbrier the last couple weeks, so it should play firm enough to keep the tournament from being the type of dart-throwing contest that Stricker won at the John Deere.

440= Driver-PW
470= Driver-8 iron
225 yard par 3= 3 iron at most

That is why I think they will shoot -25.

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »
-25 is a rare score for a Tour event. That's better than 64 a day and that only happens in the Hope and one or two other tournaments. But -15 to -20 should be the winning score of a PGA tour event. These are best golfers in the world! They should be shooting under par. It doesn't mean your course is a pushover or weak. Now if I were shooting that for four days then I meant question the integrity of your course.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
A handful of 64's and Compton going to shoot 62 or 63.

My dark horse - College roommate Bob Sowards - just teed off. Bet he is at 65 or better today and gets into contention.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »

Have you played it? Why do you think the scores will be so low? -25 is super low especially on a par 70, that would be 63 64 65 63.

At just over 7k and a par 70 it is really not that short, shorter than average yes but it isn't as if they are playing at 6,500. 

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »

Have you played it? Why do you think the scores will be so low? -25 is super low especially on a par 70, that would be 63 64 65 63.

At just over 7k and a par 70 it is really not that short, shorter than average yes but it isn't as if they are playing at 6,500. 

My appologies, I thought it was a par 72. Either way, I think it will take a low score to win. -20 at least.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »

Kenny, PLlayed it many times and that is what I base my scoring guestimate on.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:04:15 AM »
I don't care what they shoot, it is fun to watch, and I hope the pros have a blast with the old style templates as well.  Mr. Justice has put some real exciting features and ideas into the tournament. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 04:58:45 AM »
20 under? how bad can that be when its only 1 shot a day less than the winning score of the Open championship? Now no one is sayinmg that the course used for that and the set-up doesn't represent the finest challenge in golf...  ;D

John Moore II

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »
Well, JB Holmes dropped a 60 on them today. I did say that I thought 59 was highly doubtful, but that I thought the event was going to be something of a birdie bonanza. Thus far, I'm mostly correct.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
Am I hallucinating?  Did I just hear J.B. hit driver 359 into rough, had 224 to pin and hit 9iron?  No, I did not just hear that, did I?  :o ::) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2010, 02:20:34 PM »
My favorite part of this has been watching them play the Biarritz. A few of them have had no clue.

I've seen a couple of putts go up and then come back at their feet.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John Moore II

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 02:33:25 PM »
Am I hallucinating?  Did I just hear J.B. hit driver 359 into rough, had 224 to pin and hit 9iron?  No, I did not just hear that, did I?  :o ::) 8)

You heard correctly. Yep, Driver-9iron to a par 5. Certainly not how Mr. MacDonald intended that hole be played.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »
J B Holmes may only have the second best round of the day.  We'll know in half an hour.

New leader's front 9 (par 34)  3-4-3 3-3-3 3-3-3

Modify: Jinxed D A Points
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:40:20 PM by Pete_Pittock »

John Moore II

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 10:07:02 PM »
J B Holmes may only have the second best round of the day.  We'll know in half an hour.

New leader's front 9 (par 34)  3-4-3 3-3-3 3-3-3

Modify: Jinxed D A Points
I watched Points until his shot to the green on 18. Rightly disappointed when he made bogey on 17. I've never seen a 59 in golf and never seen a perfect game in baseball. I'd like to see both sometime.

Greg Holland

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 10:07:31 AM »
As to scoring -- the PGA Tour sets the course up -- and just because it is listed as 7000 yards, that does not mean they will play it at that length.  For example, I was at an event last year, and there is a 248 yard par 3 but the tour never played the hole from that distance.  They played the ladies tee at 160 one day, the 180 tee two days and I think 200 yards once.  On another par 3 that is around 220, the tour also played it several tees up as well for 3 of the rounds. 

I read that Overton hit wedge into every green in the 2d round.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
As to scoring -- the PGA Tour sets the course up -- and just because it is listed as 7000 yards, that does not mean they will play it at that length.  For example, I was at an event last year, and there is a 248 yard par 3 but the tour never played the hole from that distance.  They played the ladies tee at 160 one day, the 180 tee two days and I think 200 yards once.  On another par 3 that is around 220, the tour also played it several tees up as well for 3 of the rounds. 

I read that Overton hit wedge into every green in the 2d round.

The Roanoke Times reports today that Overton hit wedge into every par four on Friday and all but one on Saturday.  He hit more club on 11, but only because he nearly hit his tee ball out of bounds.

WW

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 05:52:55 PM »
Overall scoring not as low as I would have thought but Appleby pulled through for me.

John Moore II

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
Overall scoring not as low as I would have thought but Appleby pulled through for me.

And I'm irritated that he did...I was on the stupid highway driving back home and missed his round. Dang it, I still haven't seen a 59 live and there have been 3 in my lifetime.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back