News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Re: Starting Wed., 7/21/10 - Get To Know Padraig Dooley
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
How much training does an instructor have to go through to get TPI certified?  
Tell us a bit about your teaching style.  Do you enjoy it?  Do you use video extensively?
Best Irish competition for a visiting US golfer with a 6 handicap to enter?

Jason, I have 4 TPI qualifications, all of them take 2 intensive days, about 8-9 hours a day, so approx 16-18 hours followed by a test. For the highest levels two case studies over 4 months are required.

The TPI philosopy is;
“There isn’t just one way to swing a golf club; there are an infinite number of ways to swing a club.  But there is one efficient way for all golfers to swing a club and it is based on what they can physically do.” 

I would agree with this, I use video in most lessons. I do enjoy teaching. I just started some junior lessons based on the TPI Junior Performance Center, these lessons are great fun.

Something like the Causeway Coast Tournament would be a great one for a visitor to Ireland, it takes in Portrush Valley, Portstewart, Ballycastle and Castlerock.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2010, 06:19:15 PM »
Hi Padraig,

I enjoy your posts a great deal.

As an avid golfer and lover of links golf who has never been to Ireland, but who hopes to rectify that situation in the next year or two, what are the five courses I absolutely have to see, and could you suggest them in the order that makes travel most feasible?

What American golf course you've never played most intrigues you, and why?

Thanks!!

Mike

5 courses you have to see in Ireland, going from North to South, Royal Portrush, Royal County Down, Portmarnock, Lahinch, Ballybunion. So fly to Belfast, drive up to Portrush, drive to Newcastle, play RCD, drive to Dublin, play Portmarnock, drive across to Lahinch, play Lahinch, drive down to Ballybunion and play Ballybunion, fly out of Shannon. It could be done in 5 days with early morning rounds and driving later in the day but a bit stressful, it could be done with ease in 7 or 8 days.

The course I'd like to play most in the US is NLGA, played my first MacDonald/Raynor, Chicago GC, last year and would like to see more of them just to see how well they fitted template holes into the various different terrains.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mike Cirba

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »
Padraig,

Thanks for the travel info.

Now I just have to convince her that this is the route all the American tourists take!  ;)  ;D

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 06:43:11 AM »
Padraig,

Thanks for the travel info.

Now I just have to convince her that this is the route all the American tourists take!  ;)  ;D

Mike, The Giants Causeway is next to Portrush, plenty to see in Dublin, the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher are next to Lahinch and the drive around the Kerry coast shouldn't be missed either, so it's a route a tourist could take!!!
  - Pablo Picasso

Mike Cirba

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 07:28:50 AM »
Padraig,

That's a beautiful thing!  ;D

Thanks!

Shane Wright

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
Bill - I just played Cork Golf Club last week and will post the current pictures - hopefully this weekend.  And I will leave it to "Podge" to post the after photos.

CGC was an absolute blast.  The holes thru the rock quarry were just awesome and the greens were just beautiful.  It was my first Mackenzie experience...and now I'm yearning for more. It was great to meet Padraig for the first time.

Questions for Padraig:

1. Is there a notable course in the UK that you haven't played yet?
2. Do you prefer competing in the qualifying tourneys or playing casual rounds at some of the world's best
3. What do you believe is the best hole at CGC
4. What is your favorite place to go in Ireland whether it is for golf or not?
5. Guiness or Murphy's?
6.  family? kids?
7.  top 5 courses you want to play in the u.s. that you haven't?
8. can you elaborate a little more on what Hawtree will be doing for the CGC renovation

Thanks so much and so great to meet you last week!

Shane

Shane, glad you got to Cork!  I would love to.   Did you take your "posse?"

Bill - the Gorsemen were not with me.  I was there for my brother's wedding.  We were able to play two rounds - Old Head and Cork GC. 

But the Gorsemen will be making a trip next August to Scotland.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:28 AM »

What is the best month of the year for an American to golf in Ireland?

Thanks...Anthony

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »
It is a delight to have such an accomplished player-teacher and well travelled observer to help us along in our discussions.

I have a question, but understand if it is in an uncomfortable zone that you wouldn't care to enter.  With a rise in new high profile Irish players on the world stage, do all Irish golfers identify with an all Irish sense of home, or do they see themselves as being either strictly from the Irish Republic or Northern and part of the GB&I contingent?

Which Irishman, north or Republic, do you see being another major winner in the near future?  Have you played with any of them in casual rounds, most often.  Can you out stepdance Harrington?  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 05:36:49 PM »

Thanks...Anthony

Anthony

May and September are great golfing months, September tends to be very popular and there is diminishing light. It is my favourite time of the year, normally the weather settles down for the first couple of weeks and is beautiful. May can be just as nice, a bit more daylight and not quite as busy.

- Pablo Picasso

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 05:48:17 PM »
It is a delight to have such an accomplished player-teacher and well travelled observer to help us along in our discussions.

I have a question, but understand if it is in an uncomfortable zone that you wouldn't care to enter.  With a rise in new high profile Irish players on the world stage, do all Irish golfers identify with an all Irish sense of home, or do they see themselves as being either strictly from the Irish Republic or Northern and part of the GB&I contingent?

Which Irishman, north or Republic, do you see being another major winner in the near future?  Have you played with any of them in casual rounds, most often.  Can you out stepdance Harrington?  ;D

The Golfing Union of Ireland governs amateur golf in the whole island, any Irish team represents the whole island. Generally the golfers in the North see themselves as Irish with some seeing themselves as British as well.

Rory McIlroy seems destined to win many majors, I can see Harrington and McDowell winning more. Harrington was before my time and McIlroy was after me, I do know Graeme.

I can do the Happy Gilmore like Harrington, most kids would have played a bit of hurling so a running ground based strike wouldn't be too difficult for any Irishman.

I would recommend anybody who comes to Ireland to check out a game of Hurling, it's a great skillful game and a fantastic spectacle.

- Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »

Thanks...Anthony

Anthony

May and September are great golfing months, September tends to be very popular and there is diminishing light. It is my favourite time of the year, normally the weather settles down for the first couple of weeks and is beautiful. May can be just as nice, a bit more daylight and not quite as busy.

We were at County Down for the Walker Cup in September 2007 and yes, the weather was fabulous.

After the Cup the two couples of us went up farther north and played Ardglass, Castlerock and Portrush Valley which I liked a bit more than Castlerock but not a lot.   The Dunluce was fully booked during our stay, no one but us was on the Valley.

It was a great trip.  That comp does sound like fun.  The Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle and Bushmill  ;D  tasting room are great tourist attractions. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back