News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
One of the unheralded approach shots in golf.  Look at that water!  So what if you have most likely an 8 iron to a wedge.. Impeccably maintained as to work a running approach thru the double plateau to this pin placement.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:46:54 PM by NFreeman »

RJ_Daley

Re: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »
newbie?

Welcome back, man of international intrique.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:09:45 PM »
Is that the fourth hole?  Way too long since I've been back there.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:49 PM »
what is the wind doing?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mark Arata

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »

Are you limbering up the old pitching arm? Your boys may need you soon at the rate they are going..............

Boy that looks great, I wish I had gotten to play it in the sunshine instead of the rain and fog.....was still great thought.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 11:32:43 PM »
Total stab in the dark...Mid-Ocean?

Went to a wedding in Connecticut back in May and one of the friends of the bride's father was a jolly Irishman, who lived in Bermuda and was a member.  We stumbled out to the 18th green at Hartford GC after he introduced me to Sambvca and he slashed and parried at the night air with my saber, explaining why Mid-Ocean was better than Fishers.  ;) I told him I'd take his word for it.

Then again this story was all for naught if I'm wrong.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
This is the 9th at Fishers--Double Plateau.. Gil Hanse thankfully took a bunker out that was on the left side and hampered an approach.. It looks great and Donnie Beck's conditioning had it running terrific.  It played into a hook wind but mild--that is until a thunderstorm hit us.. In the first round I hit 3 wood, 8 iron--in the 2nd I had a running wedge...

Mark--Im not worried about the Yanks.. I'm worried about Sanchez and the Jets expectations.. Have you seen their first 6 games?  BTW, Phil Cousy who blew that Mets call for the Giants the other day is going to be fired.. I say you send them your umpiring CV...

Mike Policano

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:41:05 AM »
Didn't you almost eagle 15?  Any pics to post?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »
Such a cool looking approach shot.  Id be tempted to punch a little 6 iron and run it up there!  Id love to play FIC someday.  Is there any room at all over the green or does it drop into the water?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:27 AM »
Hard to tell it's a double plateau. Is the orientation similar to that of a straight on Biarritz?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

JC Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 09:02:48 AM »
That looks awesome; thanks for the pic.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 09:20:33 AM »
Hard to tell it's a double plateau. Is the orientation similar to that of a straight on Biarritz?

I can't see it either, but the plateaux should be side by side if it's on the same model as #11 NGLA or #17 Yale - or now I guess #1 at Old Macdonald!

Ben Sims

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 09:34:41 AM »
NFreeman, (and anyone else with an answer)

What are some other examples of this hole?  Not the double plateau, but the  downhill "over the precipice" style approach.  I would think that Cape Kidnappers has a few. 

You would think that we'd see more holes like this in architecture.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40:52 AM »
I blame you Policano for the missed eagle/birdie, 3 putt on 15..

Ben, I would say the 5th at New South Wales is a similar approach.. of course it is Eric Apperly's green though.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 09:43:49 AM »
It's amazing how one little thing like a single bunker removal creates such a cleaner, uncluttered look.

Although not a great pic, here's the "before" from Ran's write-up.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »
Come on Noel, be honest, didn't you really want to take out a 3 wood and blast it over the green and into the deep blue sea!

Steve Salmen

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »
I happened across this beauty that appears similar.  Care to take a crack?

Noel Freeman

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
Come on Noel, be honest, didn't you really want to take out a 3 wood and blast it over the green and into the deep blue sea!

Jerry

funny you say that, I waiting til #10 tee box and did just that... Ever notice you never ever ever hit a bad shot into the ocean, never top it etc.. When your target is that big, technique just shows up.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
What a spectacular-looking shot.  I can't even begin to imagine the thrill of hitting a wedge or short iron to that green when the pin is back there.  I'd imagine that for 90% of the flight of the shot, there's no frame of reference against the flying ball except the blue of the water.

For those who have played both, how do the template holes at Fishers Island generally compare to their counterparts at Yale?  I believe the magazines have rated FI in the 20s in the US and Yale in the 70s-90s.  I love Yale and Fishers Island looks spectacular as well.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Policano

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:08 PM »
Noel, at least you eagled the hole with the rattler a couple of years later. By the way, it was the bald scientist that caused the three putt par!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
Mike, Could you please provide a description of the double plateau? It's orientation. It is hard to tell in the picture.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve Lapper

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 03:33:43 PM »
Noel, at least you eagled the hole with the rattler a couple of years later. By the way, it was the bald scientist that caused the three putt par!!

Mike,

Add another friend to the eagle parade...last week, along with a near eagle on two!!

Ben,

#1 at Yeamans Hall is another great Raynor Double Plateau.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
Mike, Could you please provide a description of the double plateau? It's orientation. It is hard to tell in the picture.

Adam -

IIRC, the orientation goes front right to back left at an angle. It was one of my favorite greens at Fishers. It looks terrific without that bunker too by the way.

As for the Yale vs Fishers question, I thought Fishers green complexes were close to the best 18 I have played and agree that it deserves its ranking.
Mr Hurricane

Donnie Beck

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »

A view back from the 10th Fairway
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:54:07 PM by Donnie Beck »

Tim Gerges

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 09:09:53 PM »
Those are amazing pictures Donnie.  I also think the tee shot on 9 might be one of my favorite on the course too.  I've pulled my share of tee balls into the bunker on the crest of the hill left.  Not a fun place to be.  Watching your ball sail over the the hill and knowing the wonderful approach shot you'll have in is quite a thrill.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back