News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: The Winning Scores for The Opens of 1868/69 & 70
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2010, 02:09:32 PM »
Ryan, I can only say that I've met David and he is not a prick.  I haven't met you, but my null hypothesis for everyone I haven't met is that they are not a prick, so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.  A smart aleck response or two on an internet board is not enough to convince me that you are.  I appreciate your thick skin, but there is no need for Melvyn to be lobbing such language around.  If you two have a past history, it should be resolved separately and not manifest itself anytime you two show up in a thread together.

George, again I'd ask why is it that Melvyn's posts receive such scrutiny...

Ever watch Weeds?  In Season 5, Andy finally tells Nancy that she is not the victim of all the craziness in her life but that she creates it and enjoys it.

I will sign off of this thread, I apologize for extending a useless discussion.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:23:31 PM by JLahrman »

Tim Bert

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
Perhaps now that this thread has gone the way of name-calling, politics, and racism the administrators will mercifully pull the plug. It never really had much of a chance from the way the conversation got started.

I will say that while I don't think MHM meant to offend anyone with his initial post, the holier than thou comments about playing golf instead of taking part in wars certainly doomed this from the start. I don't understand the need to interject comments like that into these posts. The comment didn't offend me but it created a wide open opportunity to steer the discussion off track and it certainly had no relevance to the original point that was being made.

Anyone care to cast the final blow with a Hitler reference??

Michael Dugger

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2010, 02:15:52 PM »

No, but how about one from Billy Madison?

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:21:05 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

JR Potts

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
Melvin and I have no past - but I look foward to our future.  See, that's who I am ..... a glass half-full guy.

Michael Huber

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
You know, I might as well just throw this out there:

Last week during the Open, I was expecting some sort of colorful insight about the golf course and the tournament from melvyn...you know, stuff about the course, things we might not see on TV but might enjoy, etc. al.  Instead, it ended up being more of the same about how the R&A are dunces, technology blows, and no one knows how to play golf anymore.  What could have been very productive and fun turned out to be another mess.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:24:43 PM by Michael Huber »

Tim Bert

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »

No, but how about one from Billy Madison?

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Classic line. One of my favorites from an underwhelming movie.

JR Potts

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2010, 02:41:33 PM »
Underwhleming?  Come on!  Now you're going to tell me that you didn't like Anchorman?  Billy Madison is a classic.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
Drugs don't kill people, I kill people.

Hey Shooter, I'll see you......in the parking lot!
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Eric Smith

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »

Oh, who won that fight by the way?

Tim Bert

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2010, 03:21:03 PM »
Underwhleming?  Come on!  Now you're going to tell me that you didn't like Anchorman?  Billy Madison is a classic.

Not a bad comparison. I am one that has been historically underwhelmed by the modern SNL stars' transitions to the big screen. The great skit actors don't always transition well to the big screen. You end up with mediocre to good movies that have some outstanding lines or moments but don't really pull it all together for the entire length of the movie.

I enjoyed Billy Madison as I did a number of Sandler's old flicks. But nothing outshines Opera Man or the SNL news guest anchor spot on Halloween costume recommendations. Likewise, Farrell has had his moments. I prefer Old School to Anchorman but I would really rather watch him do his cheerleading skits.

PCCraig

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »

Not a bad comparison. I am one that has been historically underwhelmed by the modern SNL stars' transitions to the big screen. The great skit actors don't always transition well to the big screen. You end up with mediocre to good movies that have some outstanding lines or moments but don't really pull it all together for the entire length of the movie.

I enjoyed Billy Madison as I did a number of Sandler's old flicks. But nothing outshines Opera Man or the SNL news guest anchor spot on Halloween costume recommendations. Likewise, Farrell has had his moments. I prefer Old School to Anchorman but I would really rather watch him do his cheerleading skits.

Not to be a stickler but as a former employee of The Second City in Chicago they are not called "skits" but are in fact called "sketches." I made the same mistake once and a director gave me an earfull as apparently in the industry it's an insult.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2010, 03:32:16 PM »

Whatever I do it’s a no win situation for me, what a pity the internet can’t convey tone, but then that’s life.

Melvyn

The Melvyn formula is well beyond hackneyed.  Say something priggish, self-righteous or confrontational and draw retaliatory fire.  Then, claim that you are misunderstood or the offended gent simply didn't read the post.  Follow up with an outright insult, complete with an ad hominem attack against one or more who got into the fray.

End it all with a claim of victimhood.

Nobody's perfect and plenty of us have lost our moorings around here from time to time, but this one man has done more to stir the pot and create disharmony than anybody in the past several years.

**Ding ding ding**
H.P.S.

Tim Bert

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »

Not to be a stickler but as a former employee of The Second City in Chicago they are not called "skits" but are in fact called "sketches." I made the same mistake once and a director gave me an earfull as apparently in the industry it's an insult.

Ok - sounds like an overly sensitive director.  I'd be more focused on the work quality and the reviews than I would be the word used to describe them.

I suppose he'd prefer me to tell him that his sketch stunk as opposed to saying his skit was great?

John Moore II

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
WOW. I checked in because the thread title sounded interesting, and yes, the opening post showed promise. Then the usual suspects go shooting it off into a waste of time.
This COULD have been a very interesting thread.

No, this thread had no chance to be of interest. The intentions were clear from the outset and at least a few people saw that clearly. I really wish this thread would just disappear permanently.

PCCraig

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »

Ok - sounds like an overly sensitive director.  I'd be more focused on the work quality and the reviews than I would be the word used to describe them.

I suppose he'd prefer me to tell him that his sketch stunk as opposed to saying his skit was great?

It would be alot like telling Tom Doak that the best part about his course was the way he routed the cart paths. It alone would discredit your opinion. :)
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
Bill,

The racial example was simply used because it came to mind when considering this, probably because it is fresh in the news, nothing more. My point is ...and justice for all.

Sorry but I think that's an unfortunate analogy.

Whatever Bill.

Sorry......

John Moore II

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 04:38:37 PM »
Bill-this thread is really going places. I'm disappointed to have my name associated with it.

George Pazin

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 04:52:41 PM »
WOW. I checked in because the thread title sounded interesting, and yes, the opening post showed promise. Then the usual suspects go shooting it off into a waste of time.

No, this thread had no chance to be of interest. The intentions were clear from the outset and at least a few people saw that clearly. I really wish this thread would just disappear permanently.

I guess I missed the day when these wise folks were appointed arbiters of what may be of interest to others and what others are thinking.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Moore II

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »

I guess I missed the day when these wise folks were appointed arbiters of what may be of interest to others and what others are thinking.

George-The basic topic probably could have been of interest. However, if you read the first post thoroughly, you will notice that it is plainly directed at me in an "up yours" tone. That is why it had very little chance to be of great interest.

George Pazin

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »
Well, I don't know about your history with Melvyn, but you certainly have a very different read of that post.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »

The Open at Prestwick in 1870 was won with a score of 149 by Young Tommy Morris age 19
Tommy Morris first Hole of the First Round was a 3 for the long Par 5 578 yards hole

I have re-read Mr. Morrow's initial quote, and you guys are missing the point of this thread entirely.  Since the meticulous records would've surely indicated that he holed out for an eagle, we're left with the assumption that Tommy reached a 578 yard green in two. In 1870? It is clear to me that Tommy was on the juice. The evidence is incontrovertible. I wonder what they called it back then?

Sincerely,

Floyd Landis

P.S.  Tim, page 2 of a thread is WAY too early for Godwin's Law to be invoked.   

Tim Bert

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »

The Open at Prestwick in 1870 was won with a score of 149 by Young Tommy Morris age 19
Tommy Morris first Hole of the First Round was a 3 for the long Par 5 578 yards hole

I have re-read Mr. Morrow's initial quote, and you guys are missing the point of this thread entirely.  Since the meticulous records would've surely indicated that he holed out for an eagle, we're left with the assumption that Tommy reached a 578 yard green in two. In 1870? It is clear to me that Tommy was on the juice. The evidence is incontrovertible. I wonder what they called it back then?

Sincerely,

Floyd Landis

Bunky, bunk could have used his detective skills to deduce that the third shot was likely holed from some distance and therefore the green was NOT reached in two.  Still I have plenty of trouble reaching holes of that length in three shots, so I wish I had some of that 1800s technology on my side.

I was only hoping for the Law to be invoked to bring about an early demise to the thread but we are all taking care of that with the numerous tangent ensuring that no useful discussion takes place here!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »

Sincerely,

Floyd Landis

Bunky, bunk could have used his detective skills to deduce that the third shot was likely holed from some distance and therefore the green was NOT reached in two.  Still I have plenty of trouble reaching holes of that length in three shots, so I wish I had some of that 1800s technology on my side.

I was only hoping for the Law to be invoked to bring about an early demise to the thread but we are all taking care of that with the numerous tangent ensuring that no useful discussion takes place here!

Tim,
I am disappointed you, and apparantly some others here, are so terrified about learning a little history. Especially if it doesn't fit within the old wives tales you think you know. Young Tom did some amazing things during his short career. There is a reason some people think he is a serious contender for the greatest player ever.

But you don't want to hear or know about that.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tim Bert

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2010, 11:36:53 PM »

Sincerely,

Floyd Landis

Tim,
I am disappointed you, and apparantly some others here, are so terrified about learning a little history. Especially if it doesn't fit within the old wives tales you think you know. Young Tom did some amazing things during his short career. There is a reason some people think he is a serious contender for the greatest player ever.

Hi Ralph

I am sorry if I disappointed you. If this thread had any golf history content beyond post #1 then I might have been less "terrified" of history - whatever that means. This thread was derailed no later than post number 2 or 3 and it hasn't been about golf history since post 1 when Melvyn made the unfortunate mistake of mixing war into the topic,which undid the thread to begin with.  I didn't jump in until long after any remnants of the original post were being discussed. My comments about the demise of the thread have nothing to do with the historical content.

If by chance you meant the history of Adam Sandler movies or perhaps the history of wars or maybe one man's version of the history of the Obama presidency, then I am sorry I misunderstood the tone of your post.

The fact that you and I are now trading blows is yet one more example of the problems with this thread which hasn't had anything to do with golf for some time now. Thanks for singling me out!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 12:04:38 AM »

Sincerely,

Floyd Landis

Tim,

Hi Ralph

I am sorry if I disappointed you. If this thread had any golf history content beyond post #1 then I might have been less "terrified" of history - whatever that means. This thread was derailed no later than post number 2 or 3 and it hasn't been about golf history since post 1 when Melvyn made the unfortunate mistake of mixing war into the topic,which undid the thread to begin with.  I didn't jump in until long after any remnants of the original post were being discussed. My comments about the demise of the thread have nothing to do with the historical content.

If by chance you meant the history of Adam Sandler movies or perhaps the history of wars or maybe one man's version of the history of the Obama presidency, then I am sorry I misunderstood the tone of your post.

The fact that you and I are now trading blows is yet one more example of the problems with this thread which hasn't had anything to do with golf for some time now. Thanks for singling me out!

Tim,
I wasn't singling you out but simply following up on your previous post.
I am sorry I wasn't more clear, the posts following the original post seem to be a diversion from some statements of historical facts that could have lead to an interesting thread. To me it appeared to be history-phobia. Especially after having read a number of past responses to Melvin threads.
I have a folder on my computer devoted to downloads of images and screen captures of text that Melvin has posted. There are a few non- Melvin things in there but not many. I know who definitely hasn't posted anything potential useful for my purposes. And before you snark on that last line, yes I realize posting something useful to me is not a goal you need or want to aspire to.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back