News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Re: The Winning Scores for The Opens of 1868/69 & 70
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 08:07:22 AM »

Pat

I expect crap from you and I have been honest in my comments, just look what I said about you

Sorry, how many Opens have you or your family won? 

I am proud of the record in my family, but then it gets to some of you guys as my family golfing history is older, longer and more peaceful that the history of your country.. Christ, we were playing golf before The USA became an independent Nation,

Get over it and lets get back to golf

Melvyn

Mark There is more than one, but I have now had my say.

JR Potts

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
Ryans Potts writes:
You make a short-sighted and ignorant comment, you get called out on it and I am the A/H?  Call me a barbarian but even as an avid golfer, but I find a lot more nobility in those fighting for their beliefs than smacking a white ball around.

What exactly did Mr. Morrow say that was short-sighted or ignorant? He said during the Opens of 1868, 1869 and 1870 other parts of the world people were killing each other. For some reason you decided he must mean the American Civil War which was already over by 1868. So what is the nobility you speak of about wars that were going on in 1868, 1869 and 1870? Are you arguing there was some nobility is who was monarch of Spain?

If not Franco-Prussian, which war of the last part of the 1860s were you considering a noble fight?
Titokowaru's War between the government of New Zealand and the Māori?
The Boshin war in Japan?
Expedition to Abyssinia between British Empire and India (There were probably a few Scots involved in that one.)
War of the Abyssinian Succession between Abyssinian Empire and rebels?
 Te Kooti's War between New Zealand and the Māori again?
Tean Years' War between Spain and Cuba?
Red River Rebellion in Canada?

Come on, don't leave us hanging. Which of these wars were noble, which weren't?

Tough for Mr. Morrow to apologize when he was probably just as clueless as the rest of us which war you were arguing was a noble cause?

Cheers,
Dan King
The Legion is here, the affair is in the bag!
 --Patrice de Mac-Mahon, Duke of Magenta

Just got caught up.

To answer your question, there was nobility to most fighting all those wars.  But, to suggest, like Melvin did, that his family was of some uber-civilized sect as they were playing golf and not engaged in some war is laughable at best.  Remember, we're talking about golf.

Paul Stephenson

Re: The Winning Sores for The Opens of 1868/69 & 70
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
Yeah, you know - shame on those Americans at the time who were fighting to end slavery.

The British Empire abolished slavery in 1834, and the Civil War was already over.  I'm not sure he meant the US.

John Moore II

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:11:00 PM by John K. Moore »

John_Conley

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 12:09:29 AM »
Wow.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:36 AM »
THE OPEN, I dig up some records for The Open coming up to the first 10 years of its life, noting that this was the 150th year since its conception.

I have shown that in those days it consisted of three round of 12 holes totalling 36 in all, I listed the main players with their score. I have highlighted two of the greatest records of The Open (the first recorded hole in one and the one of the most remarkable scores ever for the 1st hole  578 yard hole at Prestwick using Hickory/Gutty being down in three).

It was meant to be a celebration of The Open, To give others the chance to see the scores based upon the Hickory/Gutty combination to allow some basic comparison with the current days scoring to help understand the reason why some want the roll back of the current ball.

I try in my way to get back to the point of this site which is about golf and yes it is a fact that my family in general have been golfers for over 250 years. One of the Morris’s married into the Robertson Family in the 1720’s who even then were making golf balls in St Andrews, so they were not just player but working in the golfing industry. Can’t you sense the history, while North America was being explored and the States formed , the golfing industry was flourishing in St Andrews.

History of the game links us all, if you do not like me or the topic why bother reading it in the first place and why bother making any comments. Yet if the comments were based upon the subject I could understand but no its against me, my tone but worst still its about what you think I am saying. You jump to conclusions but I am the one that suffers from your closed minds, Whatever I do it’s a no win situation for me, what a pity the internet can’t convey tone, but then that’s life.

Melvyn
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:30:09 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

JWinick

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
Melvyn,

One thing that makes Americans unique (although we are slipping slightly) is social mobility.   Nobody cares who your family is and does.   And, usually people who dwell on the achievements of their family have done little to distinguish themselves on their own. 

Pat

I expect crap from you and I have been honest in my comments, just look what I said about you

Sorry, how many Opens have you or your family won? 

I am proud of the record in my family, but then it gets to some of you guys as my family golfing history is older, longer and more peaceful that the history of your country.. Christ, we were playing golf before The USA became an independent Nation,

Get over it and lets get back to golf

Melvyn

Mark There is more than one, but I have now had my say.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 07:09:29 AM »
JWinick

That’s fine I can understand that but why do mainly American want to meet me. Don’t get me wrong more that happy to make new friends, talking about golf over a pint and a meal. However as a nobody, just an ordinary guy why do Americans see the point in meeting someone like me , what’s your phrase “done little to distinguish themselves on their own”.

Confusing to this poor lad who apparently seems to have done little to distinguish him – oh well that GCA.com for you or am I getting confused with premature ejaculation, seems to go hand in – well you know what - on this site.

Melvyn 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:51:15 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

JWinick

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 08:58:11 AM »
Melvyn,

Bragging about your family accomplishments to score points is just weak.... I think it's great that you respect your ancestors, but diminishing others because they aren't related to Old Tom Morris is not right.

JWinick

That’s fine I can understand that but why do mainly American want to meet me. Don’t get me wrong more that happy to make new friends, talking about golf over a pint and a meal. However as a nobody, just an ordinary guy why do Americans see the point in meeting someone like me , what’s your phrase “done little to distinguish themselves on their own”.

Confusing to this poor lad who apparently seems to have done little to distinguish him – oh well that GCA.com for you or am I getting confused with premature ejaculation, seems to go hand in – well you know what - on this site.

Melvyn 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »

I have not 'diminishing others'  on or off this site - my connection to Old Tom is a matter of record, I have to nothing to prove to anyone nor gain for that matter.

When I submit my opinions on this or other sites they are mine. Because some want my connection know thats down to them.

I am on this site because of my connection to Old Tom, clearly its get up the nose of many, easy solution.

Melvyn

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 12:08:02 PM »
Gibberish

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »
Melvyn, calling a gentleman like David Tepper a "Prick" leads me to believe you have been driven around the bend.  An apology is in order.

John Moore II

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
Apologies to those who read my comment and may have been offended, other than he who it was directed towards. As it did not do what I intended for it to do, get this pointless thread taken off the site, I have removed said comments. Have a joyful day.

David_Tepper

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2010, 05:02:45 PM »
"Melvyn, calling a gentleman like David Tepper a "Prick" leads me to believe you have been driven around the bend.  An apology is in order."

Bill M. -

Thanks for your kind words. It is certainly possible Melvyn's choice of words reflects more on the type of person he is than the type of person I am.

DT

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »
WOW. I checked in because the thread title sounded interesting, and yes, the opening post showed promise. Then the usual suspects go shooting it off into a waste of time.
This COULD have been a very interesting thread.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

George Pazin

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »
WOW. I checked in because the thread title sounded interesting, and yes, the opening post showed promise. Then the usual suspects go shooting it off into a waste of time.
This COULD have been a very interesting thread.

Well said.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Terry Lavin

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »

Whatever I do it’s a no win situation for me, what a pity the internet can’t convey tone, but then that’s life.

Melvyn

The Melvyn formula is well beyond hackneyed.  Say something priggish, self-righteous or confrontational and draw retaliatory fire.  Then, claim that you are misunderstood or the offended gent simply didn't read the post.  Follow up with an outright insult, complete with an ad hominem attack against one or more who got into the fray.

End it all with a claim of victimhood.

Nobody's perfect and plenty of us have lost our moorings around here from time to time, but this one man has done more to stir the pot and create disharmony than anybody in the past several years.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
It actually makes me very proud as at that time in other parts of the world people were killing each other. Yet my ancestors seemingly being very civilised were playing Golf. I hope the golf details may be of interest.

Melvyn

Well, in between WW (For Ryan Potts and Illinois graduates The World Wars happened in the 20th century) when we blood thirsty war mongering Americans were taking a respite, Jones trounced the great British amateur, Cyril Tolley,  12 and 11, in the Walker Cup at St. Andrews, shot 68-72-73-72 to win the Open at St. Andrews by 6 shots, and, and, cleaned the clock of his final match at St. Andrews, 7 and 6, to win the British Amateur, so take that you British prigs.  ;D

Bill McBride,

I agree David Tepper seems like a very nice person, but find it interesting you defend him from being called a prick, yet this type of name calling goes on all the time. Why just David? Whether this person deserves the slur or not shouldn’t every case be treated equally. It always amazed me that a black kid can beat the heck out of a white kid and call him a cracker and it is treated one way by the judicial system (if it is the Obama justice department he might get a medal given their blind eye to black racism exhibited in the Philly voter intimidation case) but if a white kid beats the heck out of a black kid and calls him you-know-what it gets elevated to a hate crime that carries far greater consequences. Why do we allow some on here to be verbally abused while others get defended?

#1 I didn't think David did or said anything (other than rather gently disagreeing with Melvyn) to merit being called something as churlish as a "prick."  Melvyn has always come across as a gentleman, I was expressing my dismay at his sinking to that level when I could see nothing of a similar depth from David.  That's why i said I think Melvyn has been driven around the bend.  I frankly don't know why that kind of name calling has to happen at all, but I found this case particularly egregious.

#2 I am simply astonished that you would inject a racial issue into this debate.  As far as I know all the participants are of the same race so there are no racial injustices being committed.

JLahrman

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:12 PM »
The Melvyn formula is well beyond hackneyed.  Say something priggish, self-righteous or confrontational and draw retaliatory fire.  Then, claim that you are misunderstood or the offended gent simply didn't read the post.  Follow up with an outright insult, complete with an ad hominem attack against one or more who got into the fray.

End it all with a claim of victimhood.

Nobody's perfect and plenty of us have lost our moorings around here from time to time, but this one man has done more to stir the pot and create disharmony than anybody in the past several years.

This is completely accurate.  Not only did he needlessly call David Tepper a prick (I've met David and he certainly is not), Melvyn also called "the likes" pricks as well.  Not sure how many people that entails, perhaps Melvyn can clarify.  Melvyn also called Ryan Potts an unsavory name at the outset of this thread, Ryan's post was snarky but hardly merits him being labelled with such a term.

And that's just in this thread.  I could probably read through all 88 pages of our weekly Tom Paul/Tom Macwood/David Moriarty smackdown (don't worry, I won't) and not see such language used.  I'm not sure why such language is tolerated, and certainly not sure why its coming from someone whose other hobby is to harp on Tiger Woods' lack of decorum.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:16:02 PM by JLahrman »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 01:24:16 PM »
Cretin

Person that is full of pointless information that makes no sense and appeals only to other cretins. They can be found in abundance in every single populated internet forum, where they race to post as many mind-numbing messages as possible in a single session. In addition, they seemingly interbreed with other cretins, ensuring that their cretinous genes continue long after they end up dead meaning the Internet will never be rid of their kind. More's the pity.

Jodie and her friends like to post messages on forums about how cool it is to kick cats (Tigers) down stairs and throw banana skins at hungry tramps. Clearly they are cretins and should be eradicated from existence.

Courtesy of Urban Dictionary

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
Bill,

The racial example was simply used because it came to mind when considering this, probably because it is fresh in the news, nothing more. My point is ...and justice for all.

Sorry but I think that's an unfortunate analogy.

George Pazin

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 01:45:12 PM »
This is completely accurate.  Not only did he needlessly call David Tepper a prick (I've met David and he certainly is not), Melvyn also called "the likes" pricks as well.  Not sure how many people that entails, perhaps Melvyn can clarify.  Melvyn also called Ryan Potts an unsavory name at the outset of this thread, Ryan's post was snarky but hardly merits him being labelled with such a term.

And that's just in this thread.  I could probably read through all 88 pages of our weekly Tom Paul/Tom Macwood/David Moriarty smackdown (don't worry, I won't) and not see such language used.  I'm not sure why such language is tolerated, and certainly not sure why its coming from someone whose other hobby is to harp on Tiger Woods' lack of decorum.

Looking at it from the flip side, each time Melvyn has offered information others may or may not be privy to, he has been attacked in some manner. Some might argue it's deserving, but many would disagree. It's completely understandable that someone would fight back in these instances, and perhaps even overreact. I don't remember the specific history of each person's interactions with Melvyn, but I do know he is generally treated in a manner unlike that of anyone else on here, and that's pretty sad.

Last week I suggested perhaps people should give Melvyn the week off from the goads and the taunts. I received an equal amount of messages saying "Good job, I agree" and "Are you kidding me?" So that tells me that the situation is nowhere near as black and white (no racial overtones intended) as many on here make it seem.

There is no easy answer to this situation. I'd say people should grow up and stop acting like children, but that's just not gonna happen, obviously.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

JLahrman

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
You raise fair points George...however, your line about Melvyn being treated unlike any other poster brings to mind the old adage about thinking back through all of your failed relationships in life and identifying the one constant presence in all of those relationships.

And there was nothing in Ryan's or David's posts that merited such insults.  A respose?  Sure.  Insults?  No.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:54:38 PM by JLahrman »

JR Potts

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 01:57:32 PM »
I agree.  It was extremely hurtful.

It almost felt like Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris were ridiculing me from the grave.

Plus, I shot the worst rounds of the year in the days after "the attack".  I can only conclude that I've been hexed by the family Morris.

But what was truly hurtful though was that everyone came out and said that Tepper wasn't a prick...and no one came out said that I wasn't an A/H.  Et tu, Terry?

EDIT - For the record, I find Melvin's posts to be quite humorous.  I don't take much of anything personally.  So don't worry about me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:03:58 PM by Ryan Potts »

George Pazin

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
You raise good points George...however, your point about Melvyn being treated unlike any other poster brings to mind the old adage about thinking back through all of your failed relationships in life and identifying the one constant presence in all of those relationships.

And there was nothing in Ryan's or David's posts that merited such insults.  A respose?  Sure.  Insults?  No.

That's a pretty clever adage, I've never heard it before. I think it has more humor than wisdom, but maybe that's just me.

I see your adage and raise you a proverb:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

As for David and Ryan, I have no idea what their prior interactions with Melvyn have been. I'm not saying Melvyn's response was correct, merely that it's understandable when you see how he is treated versus how others are treated. There are no other posters, to my knowledge, whose every post is read under the standard of not just every word being dissected, but every imagined intention as well. We all have our posts questioned from time to time, but not every single utterance and every not written intention repeatedly by many many people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back