News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dustin Knight

2010 Open Championship
« on: July 15, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »
I am currently glued to the early coverage of the Open and i'm sure all here would agree that it is so much fun to see the players
really using their imagination for a change. It is so refreshing to finally see a golf course without 3 inch rough and fairway striping.

Granted the course is much greener than we here would like to see.  With the slower greens in play and some more interesting pin positions possibly used, could this be an Open that come Sunday afternoon features many of the more experienced players in the field.
Will the older veterans who really understand the idea of placement and angles rise to the top over the younger "bomb and gouge"
players.......  I really feel that we could see another Watson etc rise to the top come Sunday afternoon.. Daly already -7 thru 13
Could this be one of the most exciting events in terms of GCA in recent memory. A close friend of mine played with Watson on Monday
was amazed at his foresight into how the course will play this week.

Any thoughts guys?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 06:39:37 AM by Dustin Knight »
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Dan Herrmann

Re: 2010 Open Championship
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 06:42:52 AM »
By the way, DirecTV is showing 5 channels of coverage:
1.  ESPN
2.  Hole 1 and 18
3.  Hole 17
4.  International Coverage  (Peter Allis was on a couple of minutes ago
5.  Mix channel where you can see the other 4 at once.

These start on channel 701

Enjoy!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:25:04 AM »
Hell Bunker shrouded in Rough?

How long has that been the case?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 07:34:25 AM »
There are so many bunkers on the old course now placed in the centre of rough... All strategic lines are being slowly but surely eroded... The walk round I had in March just confirmed it even more so...

Mike Cirba

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:37:19 AM »
I have to say that the setup and formalization of the roughs looks absolutely horrible and shows surprisingly no understanding of the brilliance of what makes that course great.

It's also very sad to see how unrestrained technology has left The Old Course utterly defenseless, no matter how much length they tack onto her.

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 07:48:31 AM »
It's also perfectly still so far today, Mike. A links will always yield birdies when that is the case.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »
EYE ! She needs the wind to howl. Since they've taken away all the other natural elements such as firm turf resulting in bounces into karmitic (sic) spots the ghosts of St.Andrews are likely snoozing in their after lifes. 
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:26:16 AM »
Woke up early this morning in order to watch a little coverage before work. Daly played a heck of a round...sure didn't expect that after seeing that picture yesterday! Rory M. played fantastic...I don't care if there is wind or not, -9 is a great round. Don't look now: Tiger's 3 back and playing pretty well.

Anyone in the States happen to know the best site to watch the online coverage? Thanks!
H.P.S.

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:27:42 AM »
I have to say that the setup and formalization of the roughs looks absolutely horrible and shows surprisingly no understanding of the brilliance of what makes that course great.

It's also very sad to see how unrestrained technology has left The Old Course utterly defenseless, no matter how much length they tack onto her.

The Old course has always yielded in easy weather(no problem with that), but I totally agree with the formalization of the rough (uggh ::) ::))

All that rough would seem to make many of the shots easier, not harder as the players can get under the ball from bad angles near the greens.
Wouldn't giving the players more room off the tee left on 17, and not forcing their tee shot to a specific spot(which yields the best angle), allow doubt and indecision to give themselves poor angles down the left side, which would result in much more road and bunker action???
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 08:55:24 AM »
When oh when will those idiots at the R&A realise that technology is killing our old courses. When will they wake up and do something about it. As for Price Andrew, he talks the same crap as the men in the so called ‘know’ within the R&A. When will the penny drop. When will they decide to protect the game and its most precious assets our golf courses.  In fact how long can we afford to keep the R&A as our Governing Body if they ignore the plight of the game and its courses

As a golfer I would be pleased to be 9 under but come on how much of that is down to the modern equipment vs. Fitness/course condition.  I believe we all know the answer, but alas are powerless do anything about it.

So our only hope or option is that the wind rises and comes to the aid of TOC because the R&A certainly will not nor will our airmiles Prince. Seems we have been here before a Nero doing sweet FA while Rome burns. Just who the hell do they think they are kidding, with all the low score this morning. The message is clear, you have to control technology, not just different balls that IMHO would be a disaster in the waiting.   

Melvyn

PS There is a sadness in these low scores. To say its the best score in the 150 years of the game is just untrue. Its only the best because of the new technology.  The score is only applicable today, as in 5 years it will be even lower if still no control. We are not stupid but this lack of action is making all golfers look at the very least suspect in promoting unreal scores year after year – or just plainly cheating ourselves because our governing body sees no problem 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:08:57 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Mark Woodger

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
http://www.atdhe.net/ - has online streaming. can be spotty as its other people positing their streaming.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
I'm finding the low scores to be good fun to watch. The wind is down right now and the course is there for the taking. Just as easy we could of seen a day like yesterday where guys were having a hard time hitting 190yard drives on 18 into the wind. Technology pales in comparision to mother nature.

Also, I'm not crazy about the super green St. Andrews. According to the telecast this morning mats are now required on all winter rounds and apparently it's made a huge difference in conditioning in the summer. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the lies the field is getting are alot better than they usually would get with the course  dry and beat up a bit.

From the little I've watched this morning the 17th is playing just goofy from the new back tee. I would be ok with moving the tee back but they should of at least cut some of the high rough and open up the left side of the fairway to allow players to hit a hard driver. Now it's just a short, tight, "par-5" for many players.
H.P.S.

Tony Weiler

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:04 AM »
Melvyn, what would you do other than "reigning in" technology?  I just don't see technology going backward as it aids too many of us today.  So they went low today, I still enjoyed wathching it immenseley, and does that REALLY take away from the course, or golf itself?  We scream at the USGA for making courses so hard and wanting a score of even par.  So the R and A doesn't, and I think that's OK. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 10:29:10 AM »
Melvyn,
Do you think par should be defended at all costs, much like the Meeks Doctrine?

Many think Johnny Miller's 63 at the Oakmont US Open was the beginning of the tricking-up of US Open courses in an attempt to save "par".  Do you think today's 63 will change the way the R&A sets up its championships?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »
Melvyn's points are absolutely valid... Just because he is referring to the figures in relation to "par" doesn't mean we are having the same argument as "par is irrelevant"...

The guys are going out there and shooting incredibly low scores on courses that are radically longer, tighter and more difficult.... Courses that have been altered dramatically and will continue to be altered to try and defend par...

Although in some ways if they start shooting -18 par, it might force the governing body's hand... But how much further damage might be done by that point?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »
So it's rained for a couple of weeks softening the greens and this morning there wasn't a breath of wind, on a links course you will get good scoring....now get a 20+mph breeze and 72 is a good score.

At my club a Walker Cup player won the major open amateur event with 162 the following year he won it with 138, same guy, same course, different weather!! Links courses come to life with a breeze.

I barely watch the US (snooze) Open where 73 to win isn't entertainment, I for one love to see a birdie filled round winning just like we used to see in the Masters.  

The wind and scores are starting to creep up!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:18:04 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
According to the telecast this morning mats are now required on all winter rounds and apparently it's made a huge difference in conditioning in the summer.
That's been the case for many years, probably at least a decade.

John Shimony

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
Woke up early this morning in order to watch a little coverage before work. Daly played a heck of a round...sure didn't expect that after seeing that picture yesterday! Rory M. played fantastic...I don't care if there is wind or not, -9 is a great round. Don't look now: Tiger's 3 back and playing pretty well.

Anyone in the States happen to know the best site to watch the online coverage? Thanks!

espn3.com has all sorts of streaming coverage.  Indivdual holes, regular espn coverage, bbc coverage...
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 12:28:59 PM »
I finished a quick Open piece for my website and - with Mel's blessing - included some of his comments about technology.  I had to tighten his quote considerably.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=3005

Let's see what happens if the wind picks up during the week.  If 24-under wins, we have a problem.  If the wind kicks up and 9-under wins, In won't feel so bad, but Mel's right...we cannot allow technology to make the Old Course obsolete.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »
The Europeans also play TOC for two rounds each year during the Dunhill so our bys are well used to the course. I see Rory has never shot above 69!
Cave Nil Vino

Michael Huber

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
So it's rained for a couple of weeks softening the greens and this morning there wasn't a breath of wind, on a links course you will get good scoring....now get a 20+mph breeze and 72 is a good score.

I agree with you.  Last week, no one was bemoaning the low scores during the last day of oakmont.  5 girls shot 3 under or better, and oakmont is supposed to be the beast of all beasts.  Even oakmont becomes easier when the elements assist.  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 12:49:08 PM »
It's blowing a bit this afternoon (though not as strongly as where I write, 150 miles south) and the scores are nowhere near as low, though Westwood seems to be playing very well indeed.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
So it's rained for a couple of weeks softening the greens
Mark
I have no idea where you get this notion from, as its been pretty much dry for the last month, here on the East coast of Scotland.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »
I certainly enjoyed watching the low scores. These guys are good. They bomb the ball because they are fit. If Old Tom Morris worked out like these guys, who knows how many Opens he would have won.

The opposite of pro is con so the opposite of Progress is Congress. Change is inevitable, deal with it. I am all for technology.
Mr Hurricane

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
Google News found the worst Golf Writer in the world:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38262714/ns/sports-golf/
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back