News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Caddies at Bandon
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
Can you reserve particular caddies ahead of time? If so, does anyone have any caddies they thought were especially good?
Mr Hurricane

Jud_T

Re: Caddies at Bandon
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 01:42:18 PM »
Don't have a particular rec, but you definitely can request specific guys.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:11:25 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »
Joe Bentham is your man. He's a member here and he writes a blog. Call and request him and/or send him a PM here asking if he's available.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Franklin

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53:37 PM »
Thanks Adam.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »
Don't have a paticular rec, but you definitely can request specific guys.

Or Gal?    ;)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »
Don't have a paticular rec, but you definitely can request specific guys.

Or Gal?    ;)

I was waiting for that to come up!  Does she still loop there?

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
The best caddy I ever had was a gal at Old Memorial. She was fantastic. If the gal at Bandon is half as good then sign me up.
Mr Hurricane

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »

I did a few months ago. Call the resort and they will foward you to the caddy master.

Anthony

Steve D

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
I was just out there a few weeks ago and had Gerard (pronounced Jerad) Percy for all 4 days.  He was one of the best caddies I've ever had, if not the best.  He was recommended to me by a friend who used to loop at Bandon but has since gone elsewhere.  Gerards a Kiwi and has been at Bandon for 4 or 5 years.  He also did a season at Merion where he carried for Stiggy Hodgson in the Walker Cup.  Great guy and great caddie.  I called the caddie master in advance and requested him.  I can't recommend him highly enough.

Steve

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:10:36 PM »
On my recent trip out there I learned that many of the caddies are class A PGA professionals.  My caddie, Chris, as well as a caddie named Adam,were both pros and told me that they made a better living working as caddies at Bandon than they could make working in a golf shop.  BTW: Both were very good and the caddies remain with you your entire stay unless you ask that they be replaced.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
On my recent trip out there I learned that many of the caddies are class A PGA professionals.  My caddie, Chris, as well as a caddie named Adam,were both pros and told me that they made a better living working as caddies at Bandon than they could make working in a golf shop.  BTW: Both were very good and the caddies remain with you your entire stay unless you ask that they be replaced.

Jerry,
That should be a good indication of the state of the golf business. :'(

Many caddies (particularly in Florida during the winter)are golf professionals (or former ones).
I'd be surprised if a large % in Bandon were class A professionals though. (caddies have been known to exaggerate a bit-ever met one with a handicap higher than two?)
there's quite a bit of difference in committment level in someone who has completed ALL his PGA training and skills requirements and your average "assistant pro".
My point is any Class A who had the independence and drive to relocate in remote Bandon, could make a pretty good living in the MET section where the Class A assistants do a lot more than just work in a golf shop (and do pretty well financially)
I haven't been to bandon though so i could be wrong(and I do hear great things about their caddies)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
Jeff: The guys explained to me that they give them good living quarters at a very reasonable price and they come from all over the world because they feel it is worth it.  A caddie probably makes $200 per day - how much are they going to make as an assistant at a country club?  The golf business is tough today and I believe there are a lot more pros out there than high paying jobs. You would have to make a lot more money living in a major metropolitan area to make the equivalent of what they make at Bandon.  The caddies also can play any of the courses 30 minutes after the last guest time and the guys I met all made frequent use of the privilege.  So while some may have exaggerated they have made what I believe to be a valid point.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19:01 PM »
Jerry - that was one of the coolest things I saw at Bandon - probably 16 or so caddies, guys and gals, out playing in the beautiful late afternoon.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
I was just out there a few weeks ago and had Gerard (pronounced Jerad) Percy for all 4 days.  He was one of the best caddies I've ever had, if not the best.  He was recommended to me by a friend who used to loop at Bandon but has since gone elsewhere.  Gerards a Kiwi and has been at Bandon for 4 or 5 years.  He also did a season at Merion where he carried for Stiggy Hodgson in the Walker Cup.  Great guy and great caddie.  I called the caddie master in advance and requested him.  I can't recommend him highly enough.

Steve

I had him for the recent GCA trip and he was excellent! Except for the round I played with Ran Morrissett and Gerard just talked to Ran about golf courses in New Zealand ! :)  Seriously, many of  guys I played with "borrowed" Gerard for advice... except at Old Macdonald which he had not yet learned, and it drove him crazy!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:30:22 PM by Bill Brightly »

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:16:27 PM »
Jerry - that was one of the coolest things I saw at Bandon - probably 16 or so caddies, guys and gals, out playing in the beautiful late afternoon.

I suspect that would be the real reason Jerry
God bless them-pretty good gig in a great place.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ted Cahill

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 10:18:43 PM »
I second Joe Bentham. I normally carry my own bag on Bandon visits so I can save my money for replay rounds. However, if Joe is available- I take him- his enthusiasm adds value to a great golf experience.
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »
Joe Bentham is your man. He's a member here and he writes a blog. Call and request him and/or send him a PM here asking if he's available.

Joe is the best caddie I had at Bandon and one of the best I have taken anywhere (I have a relatively small sample size of maybe 10.)

He hurt my feelings a little bit when he blocked me as a follower on Twitter simply for making comment that he posted a little too frequently about the Trail Blazers, but I don't hold his poor judgment there against my assessment of his abilities on the bag.  ;)

Roland Waguespack

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »
Joe recently started blogging on a new site so if you follow it like I do make sure you go to the new site.

http://pacduneslooper.wordpress.com/

Jim Jackson

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
Just returned from 4 glorious days of 36 a day and our foursome had Jay (they call him Blue Jay) and Dave (DVD).  Both were fantastic; accomplished players in their own right with a great feel for the game of their players.  Plus, they had a great interaction with each other and a full supply of caddyisms to keep it light.   Keep in mind that all the caddies are learning their way around old mac now, so the course knowledge is not as thorough as the other sites. 

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 05:07:22 PM »
Brent Merron cell 760-1268
Better than excellent

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
correction cell 760 403-1268

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »
http://bandoncaddies.com/

Nice of the caddies to pay homage to Southern Ohio as the home of cornhole.  You cannot go to a bar with a patio in Cincinnati in the summer and not find cornhole being played.  This is not to be confused with 'beanbag', played towards the northwestern part of the state.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 02:40:17 PM »
Very good interview with our own Joe Bentham, aka PacDunesLooper

http://buffalogolfer.com/wordpress/a-quick-nine-with-joe-bentham-aka-pacduneslooper/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Paul OConnor

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
"Nice of the caddies to pay homage to Southern Ohio as the home of cornhole.  You cannot go to a bar with a patio in Cincinnati in the summer and not find cornhole being played..."

Apparently, where I come from, "cornhole" has a completely different meaning.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:57:42 PM by Paul OConnor »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back