News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

BCowan

Re: Arcadia Bluffs - Pictures
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »
Been to sleeping Bear dunes yes, If you re-read earlier posts you would have known that.  All comments regarding AB have already been discussed.  No, I am glad people enjoy it, as I expressed earlier. 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:22 AM »
Ben, I think it might serve you well in life to have a slightly more open mind. Jason T loved Blackwolf Run River, and I did not. It is educational to me to here from him why he liked it. It makes me reconsider my opinions. I'm just saying if you are going to Sleeping Bear Dunes then I would figure out some route so I could at least drive by Crystal Downs and Arcadia. You can see a ton of both courses for free. Ultimately you probably will hate AB for the same reasons I gave earlier (sodding, sticky & slow, excessive bunkering, difficult to walk terrain, and the flagsticks), but I think you would enjoy seeing the lemmings run around. Unless of course you are worried you might actually want to cross over to the dark side and play it ::)

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
My take on Arcadia would be similar to those who have posted in this thread that it's good for a round every now and then.  If it was less crowded and less expensive, I'd go every summer.  Instead, I would prefer to wait for the late fall when the pace of play is faster, even if the weather is nasty.  I found the course easy to walk, but realize I may be in the minority on that view.  In terms of the actual golf course, I liked it quite a bit.  If you're able to get onto Crystal Downs, it makes for the perfect companion course for a 36 hole day since they're so close logistically.

I wouldn't put it in the same league as Crystal, Kingsley or Forest Dunes, but I wouldn't put most courses in that league, so that's hardly an insult.  The holes along the lake are a lot of fun to play, and I loved that par 5 going down towards the lakeshore, #11 I believe. And definitely add me to the list of people who enjoyed the flagsticks.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2014, 02:55:01 PM »
If Arcadia Bluffs is overrated by the masses, is Belvedere overrated on this site? 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2014, 02:56:33 PM »
My take on Arcadia would be similar to those who have posted in this thread that it's good for a round every now and then.  If it was less crowded and less expensive, I'd go every summer.  Instead, I would prefer to wait for the late fall when the pace of play is faster, even if the weather is nasty.  I found the course easy to walk, but realize I may be in the minority on that view.  In terms of the actual golf course, I liked it quite a bit.  If you're able to get onto Crystal Downs, it makes for the perfect companion course for a 36 hole day since they're so close logistically.

I wouldn't put it in the same league as Crystal, Kingsley or Forest Dunes, but I wouldn't put most courses in that league, so that's hardly an insult.  The holes along the lake are a lot of fun to play, and I loved that par 5 going down towards the lakeshore, #11 I believe. And definitely add me to the list of people who enjoyed the flagsticks.

Logistics are something often overlooked here. I personally find it tricky and next to impossible scheduling two private courses in one day. I find it much more user friendly to get my private course lined up and then add a public access I want to play. Certainly this was the case when I was fortunate enough to play CD and AB on the same day. It was just a no brainer for me to play Arcadia. Of course I will continue to look forward to reading about those able to play Augusta and Cypress on the same day. ;D

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
Not exactly sure how AB can be overrated.  It is not perfect by any means but the setting is tough to beat and it easily ranks as one of the best public golf courses in the U.S. simply from the views you take in.  But I'm a Michigan Homer so maybe that's my problem...I love all Michigan courses and put our State up against any other any day of the week :)
"Pure Michigan"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back