News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Talk about discrimination
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:25:07 PM »
The women are on the fourth hole in the third round on the best golf course in the United States from which events are televised  and ... we can't watch it?! At least with Time Warner cable, I am unable to find any channel that has picked up where NBC left off.

How can this be? The men's open gives the USGA clout with NBC and this is how they use it?

How is the USGA helping women's golf?   >:(

Everyone loses and this should absolutely not be the case for the biggest event in women's golf.

Tim Taylor

Re: Talk about discrimination
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:42 PM »
Agreed. I just sat down to watch what i thought would be another hour of coverage. Nothing. Bummer. 

Tim

Dave Falkner

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:37:36 PM »
My thoughts exactly!  I was watching with my 11 yo daughter she was interested and suddenly I am watching video about a flash flood in Plainview.  I feel  sorry for the folks in plainview but the usga is dropping the ball in a big way

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:40:08 PM »
Down here in Australia, I got up this morning (Sunday - we're always one step ahead of you Americans) looking forward to a morning of watching some good golf on a great course. Then, at 7:55am, the telecast signs off. NOT HAPPY!

Bill_Yates

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
No streaming video either, it was there yesterday.  Where is ABC or ESPN today?  Nowhere.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
No streaming video either, it was there yesterday.  Where is ABC or ESPN today?  Nowhere.

Or CNBC (now showing a fat loss informercial) or TGC (replay of the Scottish Open; which I do like, but still...).
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Hoak

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
Television is a business.  Unless the USGA is willing to compensate the nets for showing the event, and/or until there is enough viewership to justify selling ads at high enough rates, the coverage will be limited.  That's the free market.  We may like to see it, but the general audience is limited.

David Lott

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »
"How can this be? The men's open gives the USGA clout with NBC and this is how they use it?

How is the USGA helping women's golf?"

Agreed that it's mainly an issue of malfeasance by USGA. But I can't forget the umpty-zillion hours of women's curling at the 2010 Winter Olympics on NBC.

David Lott

Chris Flamion

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »
I have been very disappointed that I haven't gotten a chance to see a single second of TV coverage due to my schedule.  Pretty hard to catch that couple of hours a day.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »
The telecast could have gone on well past 8:00pm. On a brilliant afternoon with the long shadows starting to stretch across the course, this could have been a great shot in the arm for women's golf, especially as we got into prime time with some of the best name players battling it out. I appreciate that the suspension of play yesterday was an unplanned event but everyone knew today that the leaders weren't going off until near 4:00pm this afternoon. Gosh knows the Golf Channel is starved for watchable events. Isn't the USGA supposed to act like a guardian for the game's best interest? Don't the women deserve better? If this were the men at Pebble, we would still be watching.

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »
Totally agree. I flipped all over the dial for continuing coverage and came up empty. For the first time in umpteen years we have one of our own as the world`s # 1 in the final group and get to watch only a couple of holes. What a shame.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
It stinks royally.  One of the world's greatest golf courses in HD with fantastic light hosting a national championship.  And we can't see it anywhere.  NBC is a joke.

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
After my experience yesterday at Oakmont I can tell you that watching the women on TV is preferable to being there in person. They are so unbelievably SLOW!!!!!!!! It is death by a thousand cuts. I was looking forward to seeing it on TV so I could see how the ball reacted now that I have seen the course and have a better idea of what is going on with the holes. And then they pulled the plug. :P It is hard to believe that Golf Channel wouldn't pick up some coverage. Hopefully there will be some highlight coverage this evening.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 08:08:49 PM »
NBC needs ratings, and it is hard to think it's going to get ratings from an LPGA event when the tour as a whole only draws enough viewers to work out a deal with the Golf Channel.

I'm a tennis fan, and I was dismayed that the Wimbledon semifinals were being shown by NBC on tape delay.  But that's the state of tennis these days.

If this really is an outrage, and NBC is a joke, then surely the complaints and uproar will be much more widespread than just this website.  If the protests are minimal...then it's hard to call it discrimination or even a bad decision by the network.

I also can't help but wonder if this board would complain as much had the event not been at Oakmont.  I love to watch Oakmont, but the general public does not tune into a broadcast to see a course.

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 08:14:23 PM »
 8) is this something that's related somehow to lpga  vs pga tv time in general.. don't the ladies buy coverage while the nets pay the pga for "rights" ?  none of the net channels bought rights for extended coverage?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »

Shocking...It is unheard of for golf to ever discriminate against females...

Brad Klein

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 08:16:47 PM »
By partial counterpoint, I should say that during the NBC telecast Friday and Saturday we were treated to some wonderful conversation about the course, the firm and fast conditions, the effects of the tree removal on long vistas -- far more free-wheeling than what one finds with men's golf. It's so great not having to hear hyperbole about Tiger and Mickelson and to hear instead discussion of fine amateurs, overseas players, and the course itself.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »
Apparently, Creamer and Kerr's fellow competitor is causing pace of play issues:  http://www.examiner.com/x-46804-Golf-Examiner~y2010m7d10-Slow-play-irks-golfers-at-raindelayed-2010-US-Womens-Open

It's 8:18 here now and they just finished the 11th hole after starting at 4:45.  Wow.  That's 3h 35m to play 11 holes.  Where are the USGA rules officials?  

“Phew, I'm glad I don't have to play behind Yokomine today,” typed Kim between Saturday’s rain-delayed second round and third round. “She's slower than trying to bake a pie with a lighter.”

But all that said, at the very least they could have put it up on the internet.  It really is bad form by all involved.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:23:41 PM by Dan Herrmann »

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 08:24:22 PM »
Agreed Dan, it should be up somewhere.  But the LPGA is going to need to address the pace of play issues.  Nobody is going to give the LPGA extra air time with their current ratings, and it's not going to help anything if the round is going to run over the allotted time.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
JLahrman,
Amen - Based on what I've seen at the LPGA Championship in person, the pace of play is A-OK until they get near the green.  From then on, it's glacial - cheater line adjustments, constant re-marking, and needless delays.  

I was at the AT&T National last week, and the PGATour guys were slow on the greens, but were much, much faster than the LPGA'ers.

But I don't want to minimize the issue for this thread - they wouldn't ever have cut off a men's major.  Never.

PS - Creamer  is -2 after 12 and they'll probably call it a night.

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 08:51:11 PM »
I agree with you, no way do they cut off a men's major.  But it's not discrimination, it's simple fact of the televesion market.  The sport may be the same (they're both playing golf), but from a ratings perspective they are completely different to NBC.  If men's golf got the kind of ratings that women's golf does, NBC wouldn't have a problem cutting out early.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:19:06 PM by JLahrman »

Will MacEwen

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 09:13:16 PM »
I agree with you, no way do they cut off a mens' major.  But it's not discrimination, it's simple fact of the televesion market.  The sport may be the same (they're both playing golf), but from a ratings perspective they are completely different to NBC.  If mens' golf got the kind of ratings that womens' golf does, NBC wouldn't have a problem cutting out early.

Or if the USGA made the contract with NBC more strict.  I think the NCAA is pretty hardline with CBS on NCAA women's basketball - I assume that gathers less interest than the LPGA, but CBS airs it.

JLahrman

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »
I agree with you, no way do they cut off a mens' major.  But it's not discrimination, it's simple fact of the televesion market.  The sport may be the same (they're both playing golf), but from a ratings perspective they are completely different to NBC.  If mens' golf got the kind of ratings that womens' golf does, NBC wouldn't have a problem cutting out early.

Or if the USGA made the contract with NBC more strict.  I think the NCAA is pretty hardline with CBS on NCAA women's basketball - I assume that gathers less interest than the LPGA, but CBS airs it.

Will, unless I'm mistaken, ESPN airs the women's NCAA tournament, not CBS.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
Keep a product in the air for which selling ads is already next to impossible?

What is so hard to understand? 99.9999999999% of the American public has no interest in the golf course being played.

Women's golf is on life support and even if they played Oakmont, Shinnecock, Cypress, Pine Valley, Augusta, Pinehurst and Sand Hills in successive weeks it would matter not.

Selling ads is beyond difficult.  

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 09:23:33 PM »
The women are on the fourth hole in the third round on the best golf course in the United States from which events are televised  and ... we can't watch it?! At least with Time Warner cable, I am unable to find any channel that has picked up where NBC left off.

How can this be? The men's open gives the USGA clout with NBC and this is how they use it?

How is the USGA helping women's golf?   >:(

Everyone loses and this should absolutely not be the case for the biggest event in women's golf.

On a positive note, completion of the 3rd round will be shown on ESPN2 at either 8:00 am or 8:30 am (EST) tomorrow morning.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back