News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re: Cleveland or Miami? Lebron has got to know!
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 12:20:09 AM »
Say what you will about Lebron's decision.  But take a look at the open letter that the owner of the Cavaliers just posted to the team's website.  You want to come down on guys burning Lebron's jersey in the streets, but this is the example that the team's owner holds up?  What the heck?

Cuban has been playing the "fan who owns a team" for a decade now.  Gilbert clearly can relate to the folks he's asking to buy a ticket.  I'm not surprised James left, but the whole let's-get-all-the-good-players-on-one-team thing is a laugher.  If they are really smart they'll work for 80% of what they could make so they don't have to play with a group of walk-ons.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »
Say what you will about Lebron's decision.  But take a look at the open letter that the owner of the Cavaliers just posted to the team's website.  You want to come down on guys burning Lebron's jersey in the streets, but this is the example that the team's owner holds up?  What the heck?

Cuban has been playing the "fan who owns a team" for a decade now.  Gilbert clearly can relate to the folks he's asking to buy a ticket.  I'm not surprised James left, but the whole let's-get-all-the-good-players-on-one-team thing is a laugher.  If they are really smart they'll work for 80% of what they could make so they don't have to play with a group of walk-ons.

Careful John, Throw in a Mike Miller, a healthy DaSean Butler and a few others and they may be formidable barring injury. I may have missed it but does this mean they will have to deal Michael Beasley?

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 04:05:12 AM »
The chances that he really decided yesterday are nil. What a joke. There goes the ratings for the docudrama. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Phil McDade

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »
Say what you will about Lebron's decision.  But take a look at the open letter that the owner of the Cavaliers just posted to the team's website.  You want to come down on guys burning Lebron's jersey in the streets, but this is the example that the team's owner holds up?  What the heck?

Careful John, Throw in a Mike Miller, a healthy DaSean Butler and a few others and they may be formidable barring injury. I may have missed it but does this mean they will have to deal Michael Beasley?

Wouldn't that be addition by subtraction?

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »
Cleveland has the better golf courses, unless by "Miami" you include all the way up to Jupiter Hills and Seminole.

The best courses in each city are both by William Flynn, so we'll call that a tie.  I'd take Canterbury over Doral.  And there are a lot of other courses in Cleveland that are reasonably interesting.

Does LeBron play golf?

Considering he stated he's going to continue to live in Akron, he'll have the best of both worlds.
Cleveland/Akron golf in the summer, and warm weather for the mediocre courses in Miami.

Gilbert's letter demonstrates that the classless behavior in the NBA is not confined to the players.
(the NBA has been unwatchable for years)
Can someone explain to me why James is condemned to play in Cleveland just because he's from Ohio?
and as far as the "decision charade", is that any different than any other NBA drama?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Phil McDade

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »
"Can someone explain to me why James is condemned to play in Cleveland just because he's from Ohio?"

Jeff -- I grew up not far from where LeBron grew up, and therefore have watched his career intently since he was a boyhood star at Akron St. Vincent St. Mary's. I'm not sure he should be condemned to play in Cleveland. Unlike what the Lakers did with Kobe (bring in Shaq in his prime, maneuver to get Gasol in his prime, get tested veterans like Artest), and what the Bulls did with Jordan (mainly get Pippen, one of the 25 best players ever in the NBA, but also several other solid role players), the Cavs have surrounded James with cast-offs, second-tier role players, and guys who in crunch time simply can't deliver what's needed to win an NBA championship. James' Cavs teammates aren't bad players, but they aren't championship-caliber ones, either. I'm unhappy James has left his roots for a better team, but I think the comparisons going on right now between him and Kobe and Jordan, who stuck with the teams that drafted them, are off -- apples and oranges (same holds true with Joe Mauer -- the only athlete on the planet in a remotely similar situation as James, i.e, a superstar playing for the team where he grew up. The Twins surround Mauer with players capable of winning championships). Jerry Seinfeld once famously joked that sports fans truly rooted to their hometown teams are basically cheering for laundary, given the paucity of players who stay where they began their careers. It's too bad, but I'm not surprised.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »
He certainly wasn't condemned to stay in Cleveland.  But that spectacle last night and the way the whole thing was orchestrated and hyped was a very bad decision for his franchise.  I'm no longer a fan...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:41:06 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Terry Lavin

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
Say what you will about Lebron's decision.  But take a look at the open letter that the owner of the Cavaliers just posted to the team's website.  You want to come down on guys burning Lebron's jersey in the streets, but this is the example that the team's owner holds up?  What the heck?

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/gilbert_letter_100708.html

LeBron James grew up in public housing.  I've heard that he was the head of his household at age 12.  He has been a nationally recognized basketball player since 8th grade.  He spent seven years in his hometown and did his level best to bring a championship to a deprived city.  The franchise acceded to his many demands, but they never could put together a great team.  LeBron never had another teammate who was certifiably "great" when teamed with him.

He's twenty-five years old.  If he didn't make the right basketball decision, he'll live with it.  If his "team" made the wrong decision about how to handle the free agent circus, that's on them, not on the 25 year-old kid.  I've never been much of a LeBron fan (needs the ball too much and he tends to upbraid teammates), but he really showed me something last night.  He sat there on live national television and handled all of the questions without a single note.  He was articulate and unapologetic.  I thought he acquitted himself well.  If the fans in Cleveland want to throw stones, just remember, he gave you seven years.  Dan Gilbert should have done better during that time to build the kid of franchise he'd never walk away from.

If you want to compare "class", LeBron beats Dan Gilbert hands down in this one.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mike McGuire

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:47 AM »
Headline in the Milwaukee paper this morning

"A SHOW OF FARCE"
James' announcement vainglorius

Michael Hunt beat on LB pretty good

jonathan_becker

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
Lebron did what he felt was best for Lebron and that's fine.  It's just that the fans of Cleveland are beyond ravenous for a winner and most feel like Lebron took the easy way out.  One thing is for sure, Lebron will never be able to freely walk the streets of Akron or Cleveland ever again.  He just tied Art as public enemy #1 for eternity in Ohio.  I can almost guarantee that D batteries will be thrown on the floor during his first game back at the Q.  That's just how it works in Cleveland.

Most importantly, he's not the main guy anymore and he just solidified MJ as the GOAT!!

JC Jones

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »
Lebron did what he felt was best for Lebron and that's fine.  It's just that the fans of Cleveland are beyond ravenous for a winner and most feel like Lebron took the easy way out.  One thing is for sure, Lebron will never be able to freely walk the streets of Akron or Cleveland ever again.  He just tied Art as public enemy #1 for eternity in Ohio.  I can almost guarantee that D batteries will be thrown on the floor during his first game back at the Q.  That's just how it works in Cleveland.

Most importantly, he's not the main guy anymore and he just solidified MJ as the GOAT!!

or Kobe......
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Eric Smith

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 12:48:37 PM »

or Kobe......

or Mateen....

jonathan_becker

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 12:51:52 PM »
Eric,

Mateen has the flattest shot in the history of basketball.  It looks like he's shooting a gun!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, but I take you at your word.  Based on what I'm reading on the Cavaliers website, you seem to have your finger on the pulse of Cleveland sports fans.  In a word, pathetic.  Absolutely pathetic.  I don't think there's any reason to ever wonder why anybody would stay in Cleveland.  LeBron got your team to the finals once and deep into the playoffs several times, and he was surrounded by four guys named Moe.  Who did he get to back him up.  Zydrunas Ilgauskas?  A legless Shaquille?  Mo Williams?  An end-of-his-career Antawn Jamison?

The only legitimate complaints that I've heard about LeBron are the ridiculous preening in his free agent circus and the stupid ESPN show where he announced his intention to leave Cleveland, coupled with his phoning in some games against Boston in the playoffs this year.  Other than that, he gave Cleveland seven good years of service.  Now he can expect to get hit with a D battery.  Pathetic.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Smith

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 12:54:49 PM »
Eric,

Mateen has the flattest shot in the history of basketball.  It looks like he's shooting a gun!!

JLahrman

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »
He certainly wasn't condemned to stay in Cleveland.  But that spectacle last night and the way the whole thing was orchestrated and hyped was a very bad decision for his franchise.  I'm no longer a fan...

I agree, this is a business and LeBron certainly didn't have to stay in Cleveland any more than any other player has to stay with his team.  However, LeBron certainly left a very bad odor with the way he handled all of this.

Larry Gilbert's letter might temporarily boost his popularity with Cavs fans, and it's fun to see someone let loose a little bit, but for him to cast himself as the victim is silly.  It's all well and good for Cavs fans to paint themselves as victims, but LeBron's decision is party due to LeBron and partly the responsibility of Cavs' management.  It's not as if this just 'happened' to the owner of the team.  I would not have a lot of confidence in an owner who paints himself as the helpless victim.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:57:57 PM by JLahrman »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »
Judge Lavin,

You're correct.  What I typed is absolutely ridiculous and it's 100% true.  But like I said, that's how it is in Cleveland and I wouldn't expect anyone other than a Cleveland fan to understand it.

The fans are absolutely insane (you can throw me in there somewhere), and there's no debating it.  They are the best and worst fans in the history of American sports. 

JC Jones

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 01:02:49 PM »
Eric,

Mateen has the flattest shot in the history of basketball.  It looks like he's shooting a gun!!

Mateen is from Flint, not Detroit.  Fools.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:45:39 PM by JC Jones »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

JC Jones

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »
Eric,

He is no Mike Penney.

(cue Phil McDade)

Phil McDade

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »
Eric,

He is no Mike Penney.

(cue Phil McDade)

That would be Kirk Penney. Both he and Mateen were All Big Ten players during their careeers. The thing is, Mateen had loads of talent, and a natural position to play as well, and Penney made himself into a very good basketball player as an in-between 6'-5" guard/forward.

Must've been the superior coaching Penney got in college. ;D

(P.S. How many Olympic squads did Mateen make? Fewer than Penney :D)

Carr Harris

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, but I take you at your word.  Based on what I'm reading on the Cavaliers website, you seem to have your finger on the pulse of Cleveland sports fans.  In a word, pathetic.  Absolutely pathetic.  I don't think there's any reason to ever wonder why anybody would stay in Cleveland.  LeBron got your team to the finals once and deep into the playoffs several times, and he was surrounded by four guys named Moe.  Who did he get to back him up.  Zydrunas Ilgauskas?  A legless Shaquille?  Mo Williams?  An end-of-his-career Antawn Jamison?

The only legitimate complaints that I've heard about LeBron are the ridiculous preening in his free agent circus and the stupid ESPN show where he announced his intention to leave Cleveland, coupled with his phoning in some games against Boston in the playoffs this year.  Other than that, he gave Cleveland seven good years of service.  Now he can expect to get hit with a D battery.  Pathetic.
Spoken like someone who either has no clue what they are talking about, just mindlessly regurgitates populist opinion, or both.  The Cavs won 127 games over the last 2 years. One man teams don't do that. If Miami wins 127 games over the next two years, I'll eat my hat. The Cavs failed to win because Lebron quit on the franchise midway through a playoff series. Nobody said that the Cavs had built a bad team when they were pounding the lakers in LA on Christmas day. It's all just a revisionist history after LBJ's deplorable tank job.

As many have said, Lebron is certainly free to take his talent and apply it elsewhere. What we Clevelanders take umbrage to is that he went out of his way to humiliate his hometown during an hour long media special. You just don't do that, and he fully deserves his newfound status as a man without a home

jonathan_becker

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 01:57:07 PM »
Mr. Moran,

In my office we were just talking about how Colt is THE guy now.  When he was interviewed on draft day, he twice said in 5 minutes, "We're gonna win a lot of games in Cleveland."  Rest assured, we will be holding him to those words!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2010, 02:02:03 PM »
Mr. Becker,

My condolences to you and your fellow fans. I only visited Cleveland briefly to see the R&R Museum and it seemed like a nice town. I have a special interest in the Browns since they took Colt McCoy and I hope he can make it there and possibly bring you a championship. Unlike the bum that just left your town Colt is a winner and he never quits. If it is any consolation I have always felt Lebron was half the talent of Kobe Bryant. Kobe has more heart and talent (and 5 more rings then Lebron will ever have) then Lebron will ever imagine in his little make believe world where he is the center of a fake universe. In the end Kevin Durant will prove to be a better player than Lebron, and in fact may already be there.

KBM,

I've told Jonathan the same thing, McCoy will bring the city a Championship, along with my all-time favorite UT running back:

Mr. Montario Hardesty!

Tom Yost

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
Judge Lavin,

You're correct.  What I typed is absolutely ridiculous and it's 100% true.  But like I said, that's how it is in Cleveland and I wouldn't expect anyone other than a Cleveland fan to understand it.

Cincinnati fans understand it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTpuCIT9rZg

Phil McDade

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »

Spoken like someone who either has no clue what they are talking about, just mindlessly regurgitates populist opinion, or both.  The Cavs won 127 games over the last 2 years. One man teams don't do that. If Miami wins 127 games over the next two years, I'll eat my hat. The Cavs failed to win because Lebron quit on the franchise midway through a playoff series. Nobody said that the Cavs had built a bad team when they were pounding the lakers in LA on Christmas day. It's all just a revisionist history after LBJ's deplorable tank job.

As many have said, Lebron is certainly free to take his talent and apply it elsewhere. What we Clevelanders take umbrage to is that he went out of his way to humiliate his hometown during an hour long media special. You just don't do that, and he fully deserves his newfound status as a man without a home

Carr:

This is a silly argument. Franchise players come and go all the time, in all sports. I didn't see LeBron quit; surrounded by lesser talent than Boston put on the floor, he had a couple of really bad games (fostered in part by a pretty good defensive team) and his far-less-talented team lost a playoff series (and it wouldn't have mattered in the end, because LA would've dumped the Cavs in far fewer games than it took to beat Boston -- and I can't stand either team...). Regular season games are (largely) meaningless -- Boston came within one bad 8-minute stretch of basketball in the 7th game this year to winning the championship after lolly-gagging through the second half of the season. Good pro basketball teams are built around one defining concept -- going deep in the playoffs (why else would LA pick up Artest other than to have him around to guard Pierce or LeBron in the finals?). Cleveland simply didn't have a squad good enough to make a serious run at the championship, and that's hardly LeBron's fault, operating as he is with no true point guard, no true center of merit, no true second scorer, and no other true defensive stopper.

And please don't lump all of us Cleveland sports fans together as one big spiteful bunch. Unless you saw Steve Dunning, Bingo Smith and Brian Sipe play in person, you're woe-is-us attitude about the continued bad fate of Cleveland sports has nothing on me. So save it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back