News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

US Women's Open 2010 - Oakmont - thread
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
Just figured we could use one thread to discuss the course and the tourney.

From today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, one of the nation's mediocre papers:

2010 U.S. Women's Open: Oakmont begins to take shape

Of note in the article:

Oakmont's greens were rolling at 14 on the Stimpmeter for the first practice round, a speed that Mike Davis, the United States Golf Association's senior director of rules and competition, said is slightly slower than the Stimpmeter reading (15) for the 2007 U.S. Open.

14? 15?

Can't wait till Thursday and Friday... I thought about sneaking onto the course each night with my heat gun from work to bake the greens...nah, not even necessary. :)

Worthwhile download: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/pdf/201007/20100704oakmont_coursemapweb.pdf
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:21:19 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

jeffwarne

Re: US Women's Open 2010 - Oakmont - thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:28:24 PM »
Just figured we could use one thread to discuss the course and the tourney.

From today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, one of the nation's mediocre papers:

2010 U.S. Women's Open: Oakmont begins to take shape

Of note in the article:

Oakmont's greens were rolling at 14 on the Stimpmeter for the first practice round, a speed that Mike Davis, the United States Golf Association's senior director of rules and competition, said is slightly slower than the Stimpmeter reading (15) for the 2007 U.S. Open.

14? 15?

Can't wait till Thursday and Friday... I thought about sneaking onto the course each night with my heat gun from work to bake the greens...nah, not even necessary. :)

Worthwhile download: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/pdf/201007/20100704oakmont_coursemapweb.pdf

Doesn't a green speed of 15??? negate almost all interesting areas of a green and its' slopes, thus forcing a committee to pick the flattest spots available to cut the cup?
Green speeds such as that (and publishing them) are what has raised golfer's already ludicrous expectations of how their golf course should play.

Run them at 10 and cut the pins into reasonable slopes and the golf is more fun,less expensive, and the shots and skills required are more interesting and variable (at 15 even uphill putts are fast)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »
I think the green speed will approximate the number of strokes over par that the winner will have.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »
If anyone knows,what is the green speed for normal member play?

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
Just a taste....

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
If anyone knows,what is the green speed for normal member play?

Probably about the same.

insert the ... "we have to slow them down for the Open" line here.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »
Just a taste....

...hit it and hold your breath.

I love that first green!

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »
I believe Oakmont is kept at around 10-12 for member play.

Jeff is 100% correct.  15 on those greens is completely overtop and unnessassary.  You elimate some interesting locations on what may be the most interesting set of greens in existance today.  The golf course is plenty tough as is.

When I was a professional in the Tri-State section, we played out section championship at Oakmont 1 year.   If memory serves me correct, the green speeds were running at 12.  I can't imagine playing them any faster.  

JMEvensky

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »

Jeff is 100% correct.  15 on those greens is completely overtop and unnessassary.  You elimate some interesting locations on what may be the most interesting set of greens in existance today.  The golf course is plenty tough as is.

When I was a professional in the Tri-State section, we played out section championship at Oakmont 1 year.   If memory serves me correct, the green speeds were running at 12.  I can't imagine playing them any faster.  

Thanks.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
Just a taste....

Has there been additional tree removal at Oakmont since the '07 men's Open? Didn't the 1st hole have trees behind it then?  Just curious...

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »
Apparently yes and yes! There were definitely trees there before.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Bill_Yates

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »
How long do you think it will take the players to figure out that if they want to be putting on #1 to the hole location in that great picture above, their ball will have to be on the ground and running toward the hole starting about thirty yards short of the green (approximately at the bottom of the picture).  But, if they do choose to fly it to hit the green, at least they'll have an uphill chip or pitch as their third shot.  That goes for #10 and #12 as well.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
Bill, I remember one time I was able to attend one of the local amateur events at Oakmont, back in 04 or 05, and the first thing I got to see when someone putting from just off the front of the 1st green. He hit the putt more lightly than I've ever hit any putt and it just trickled and crawled down to the hole, ending up about 3 feet past the hole. He then calmly stroked in the putt for a routine ho-hum par...

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 03:38:03 PM »
Apparently yes and yes! There were definitely trees there before.

I don't believe there were any trees behind the green when I was out there last summer.  There were trees to the right of it, but I think they were wider out than this picture shows.

Harvey Dickens

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »
George,

Do you have any idea how attendence is running for the practice rounds? Had tenative plans to attend, until work got in the way.

Steve Kline

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
Hard to tell - but doesn't look like there is very much rough.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:04 PM »
If the above photo was taken recently, it looks like they are mowing the fairways at Oakmont like they did at Pebble Beach.  They mowed all the fairways only in the direction of play.  They did it to have the ball roll out more, and on Oakmont's canted and rolling fairways like #12, #10 and #1, that could be interesting for the competitors to cope with.

I'll say the winning score will be over par.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 

George Freeman

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 09:26:05 PM »
Just a taste....

More please!

The new wall and tree removal look great.  I really like you you're looking right up the 2nd in the distance.  Pure bliss.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

C. Squier

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »

They are by far the fastest greens I've ever played, 10-12 is quite conservative IMO.  You have to be careful dropping a few balls on the practice green so they don't roll 20 feet away from you when you plunk them down. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »
If the above photo was taken recently, it looks like they are mowing the fairways at Oakmont like they did at Pebble Beach.  They mowed all the fairways only in the direction of play.  They did it to have the ball roll out more, and on Oakmont's canted and rolling fairways like #12, #10 and #1, that could be interesting for the competitors to cope with.

I know Ms Kerr can work the ball some from a Lessons with the Pros on the Golf Channel. Perhaps that will work in her favor in this event with the said fairway mowing. (not to mention that she can roll the rock well too, certainly better than Matt Ward. ;) )
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chris Flamion

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 11:41:05 PM »
I am extremely jealous of anyone who can make it out there.  Hope everyone has a great time and takes loads of pics.

Chris

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 06:00:09 AM »
If the above photo was taken recently, it looks like they are mowing the fairways at Oakmont like they did at Pebble Beach.  They mowed all the fairways only in the direction of play.  They did it to have the ball roll out more, and on Oakmont's canted and rolling fairways like #12, #10 and #1, that could be interesting for the competitors to cope with.

The fairways are being mowed the opposite of Pebble Beach's in the morning, and also this direction. (See below) Same as the US Open in 2007. These pictures were taken Monday.
  This was my first visit to Oakmont, a course I wanted to see more than any other in America. The course is conditioned flawlessly, the shot angles are spectacular and until you actually walk on property, it's hard to imagine the amount of elevation. John Zimmers and his staff are second to none and all strive to provide the best playing conditions for Oakmont.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:06:35 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jim Nugent

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 07:32:29 AM »
Who, if anyone, does Oakmont favor this week?  i.e. any predictions on who does well and who does not? 

Bill_Yates

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »
Anthony, thanks for posting the great photo.  I thought the USGA was done striping fairways in an attempt to create firm and fast conditions.  Perhaps Pebble was a one off experiment.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
Anthony, thanks for posting the great photo.  I thought the USGA was done striping fairways in an attempt to create firm and fast conditions.  Perhaps Pebble was a one off experiment.

Bill,
  The fairways are only striped because they are mowing 9-3, or side to side. The only way you can see the stripes is if you're on the left side of the fairway and look across to the right, or vis versa. It offers no advantage to the player and doesnt make you dizzy standing on the tee. This is a pic of #7 fairway from #6 green.

Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back