News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

Barton Hills CC, Michigan
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
Has anyone here played Barton Hills CC lately?  I played it Saturday and was pleasantly surprised what a quality golf course it was.  It's probably off the radar a bit due to it's location.  I will post pics soon.

Bradley Anderson

Re: Barton Hills CC, Michigan
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:10:36 PM »
I played it last fall. Its located in a beautiful setting and it's maintained very nice.

I got the sense that all those greens are pretty much pure Donald Ross. I think maybe the second green was tinkered with at some point. The superintendent there has been recapturing putting surface and he has all the greens right out to the edge of the fill pads. It's definitely worth a trip.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:23:14 AM »
Steve,

Yes it is a nice track.  I used to work there while in school.  I'm pretty sure the course is still mostly Ross, and the quality of the greens is very good.  Are there any holes that you really enjoyed?  The river drive to the course is also very cool!

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »
I really enjoyed my round at Barton Hills a couple years ago.  I believe they were just finishing or had just finished a renovation of the course when I played, which, correct me if I'm wrong, refinished/replaced lost bunkers, expanded the greens out (many now have square-ish corners), and returned some Ross flavor in general.  It is a great piece of rolling property, especially in the north east corner (holes 15, 16, 17). 

Barton Hills has some great holes:
- #2 par 5 with a blind-ish drive which needs to go over the right fairway bunker in order to get the best roll/angle
- #4 short par 4; this is one of my favorite par 4s in MI.  Lay back to the top of the hill for a better view of the tough green or bomb it down in front and deal with the increasingly bad visuals.  Great hole.
- #5 awesome Ross "short" (I didn't even know Ross did "Shorts!" ;))
- #6 another good short par 4.  I assume the water wasn't originally there, but even with it, it is still good
- #7 great green/green complex on this longer par 4
- #10 cool bottle-neck par 5
- #12 another good short par 4
- etc, etc

#17 is a great par 5 - the further you hit your second the better a view you have of the green.  What a cool green/green complex.

Probably not a lot of help if you haven't played the course, but it is definitely worth the trip if you get an invite.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
.....some pictures I took last fall of the impressive greens recapture work at Barton Hills.....right to the edges of the fill pads

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back